Gibson Brands Forums

The term "Luthier"

AXE®

Is it just me? Or does the term "luthier get tossed around more than oilpits butt at a drunken frat party.

A luthier can take a bunch of nothing and make something from it.

A tech can set up a instrument and maintain it.

luthier

derived from the the people of ancient europe who built lutes. a lute is a old stringed instrument with a bowl like hollow body and a headstock that is tipped away from the neck at around a 90 degree angle. people who built these became known as a luthier. now it is used for some one who builds stringed instruments. the term has become much more generalized.

some one who sets up guitars isn't neccesarily a luthier, they are just a tech. a luthier actually builds guitars and repairs them.

Good point, AXE, I think it's kind of like the same reason people say "I'm going to have a coke" when in reality they might be going to have a pepsi. It's just a convenient, familiar word....Or not. How did the forum get to be so freekin philosphical tonight...between this and the who is Thundergod post, I'm getting a headache and I've only been online for 5 minutes.

I agree. People should be more careful. Nikko16 sums it up very well. A true guitar tech would never call himself or herself a luthier (mine doesn't and he's the best in the 50 mile radius of where I live IMHO). Nothing against guitar techs, but people should know their true calling. BTW, I'm a moron when it comes to either, but I at least know the difference...

If you have never built a guitar from "raw" meterials ( no kits ) then you are not considered a "luthier". I learned this before I went to school to be a luthier as that is what I wanted to do. "techs" are awesome and can be just as good or better then a "luthier" when it comes to set ups and tweaking. I have been fortunately lucky to have been trained by both and have learned many different things between the 2 of them.

I agree that the term is too generally used but that dosen't bother me because most of us guitar players can figure out the difference after the first job has been completed!!

Just a side note: I read this forum just about every day and have been for quite some time and I only post when I feel it is nessesary. Some of you are quite funny and I enjoy reading the "digs" between some of you! Keep it up!!!!

I am here to help out any way I can if anyone has any questions regarding "Luthiery" !

Yeah, I gots a Lester too....!!:D/

From the acoustic side, I can say that a luthier is probably going to be a good tech and able to do more good for guitar repair and setup than most techs, BUT, a good tech does not have to be a luthier.

My guy at the Podium in Minneapolis, Marty, is both.. probably the best tech in the city for acoustics but also has built acoustic and electric guitars, understands pickups and amplification better than most and generally an excellent resourse for all questions regarding guitars.

Trust me, a good Luthier/Tech is important to get to know.

A "luthier" should be able to make you a complete acoustic guitar - that you would want to play!

Screwing together AllParts stuff and shooting it with cheap Krylon paint does not a luthier make.

Even a tech should be able to do a refret - that you would want to play!

Archived