Gibson Brands Forums

LP identification

Wow.. I like that A LOT [thumbup] (I have a thing for doublecuts :))

And that appears to be a Les Paul Studio Double Cut Gem Series.. quite rare by all accounts... not that I know much about them. So maybe someone else has more info?

From wiki

Gem Series

1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio Limited Edition Gem Series Topaz

The Gem Series of 1996 had P-90 pickups and special finishes in "gemstone" colors: Amethyst, Sapphire, Topaz, Emerald, and Ruby. The series was discontinued in 1998.

Gibson produced a small number of Les Paul Studio guitars using the leftover paint from the Gem Series. These are rare and highly sought after. However, these are not to be considered original Gems, as they did not include the special P-90 pickups.

If you want more info and to confirm it.. Send pictures of the guitar with the serial number to Gibson Customer services. I have to say I cant find much info on this model at all.

Wow.. I like that A LOT [thumbup] (I have a thing for doublecuts :))

And that appears to be a Les Paul Studio Double Cut Gem Series.. quite rare by all accounts... not that I know much about them. So maybe someone else has more info?

[...]

Thank you Rabs!

I wrote to customer care, I hope your answer is confirmed!

See you soon, Smit

PS: do you think my guitar does not have the P-90 pickups?

Thank you Rabs!

I wrote to customer care, I hope your answer is confirmed!

See you soon, Smit

PS: do you think my guitar does not have the P-90 pickups?

Yes it does certainly have P90s... as to which kind of P90s im not sure.

The Customer Service says that the serial number refers to a guitar LP Studio in Ruby finish from the GEM Series, made in 1996.

But...the guitar neck is part of a LP Studio GEM, but the body is from a different guitar.

The guitar has many elements that are different from the LP Studio model:

- original LP Studio GEM doesn’t have double cutaway

- original LP Studio GEM doesn’t have 3 controls and the selector switch next to the knobs

- original LP Studio model doesn’t have binding of the body

I am very sad...if it is a fake is really a well done job!

Smit

The Customer Service says that the serial number refers to a guitar LP Studio in Ruby finish from the GEM Series, made in 1996.

But...the guitar neck is part of a LP Studio GEM, but the body is from a different guitar.

The guitar has many elements that are different from the LP Studio model:

- original LP Studio GEM doesn’t have double cutaway

- original LP Studio GEM doesn’t have 3 controls and the selector switch next to the knobs

- original LP Studio model doesn’t have binding of the body

I am very sad...if it is a fake is really a well done job!

Smit

Yeah its sad if it was sold as an original... HOWEVER, if you didn't pay a crazy price for it and its a good guitar.. so what.. At least you now know... just play it and enjoy it.. Gibson or not :)

And it does look pretty cool [thumbup]

I wouldn't worry. This is a real Gibson. I assume the documentation is incomplete and/or unclear.

Is possible that it happens?

I find it hard to believe that someone has made ​​a false (using real parts: neck, pickups, ...) different from the original.

Smit

Yeah its sad if it was sold as an original... HOWEVER, if you didn't pay a crazy price for it and its a good guitar.. so what.. At least you now know... just play it and enjoy it.. Gibson or not :)

And it does look pretty cool [thumbup]

Who sold me the guitar is a trustworthy person, let's see if I can find out more about this guitar! [confused]

I think I found the solution of my problem!

My guitar is a modified LP Studio GEM '96. In the attached photo you can see the sign of the cavity of the switch which has been closed.

The guitar has been repainted and then was mounted the pickup selector in place of one of the tones.

I thought about looking at the LP Gold Top '68 of Paolo Tofani of the Area (if you scroll down this page you can see it: http://www.krsnavision.com/personal/personal-tkv.html), which has the second cut in the upper part of the body, painted in black and other changes.

What do you think about?

post-66270-020195500 1404859053_thumb.jpg

Who sold me the guitar is a trustworthy person, I can not think that he have cheated!

I've paid the guitar like a real LP Studio GEM...it sound good and I think it does look pretty cool too!!!

Let's see if I can find out more about this guitar! [confused]

Hmm, all a bit odd really....

Theres two things you may want to try...

A, post a thread in the Les Paul section of the forum as it gets more members looking at it than some of the other areas. Explain what you have found out already and see if someone there may know more (we have many people who know more than me)

B, Take the pickups out... That may help identify the pickups and usually there are some letters written in the pickup holes that indicate what model it is.

Like this on my LP Standard

DSC01747_zpse4aea650.jpg

Rabs we wrote a post at the same time ... try to look at what I found and tell me what you think!

Smit

Man im really not sure what else I can add... Id say post in the Les Paul section... you should get more response there.

Gem neck, but definitely not a gem body.

The gems were a regular P90/studio body. No binding, single cut, 4knobs. The Ruby gems are a bright red.

Is it me or does the upper cut look a bit different than the lower? Like maybe someone modified it?

Either way, if it plays well, then rock it!

NHTom

I think it WAS a gem now that I look further........

It looks like someone moved the switch to the 4th knob position and then cut the upper cut. Looking at mine, I think there is room compared to your picture to cut out the switch cavity. It could probably be verified with a non-modified one side by side with yours.

Also, the gems came with gold hardware and crème covers, so that all adds up.

Cool!!!

NHTom

I think it WAS a gem now that I look further........

It looks like someone moved the switch to the 4th knob position and then cut the upper cut. Looking at mine, I think there is room compared to your picture to cut out the switch cavity. It could probably be verified with a non-modified one side by side with yours.

Also, the gems came with gold hardware and crème covers, so that all adds up.

Cool!!!

NHTom

I arrived at the same conclusion: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/113802-lp-identification/page__view__findpost__p__1538808

Smit

PS: sorry for my bad English! [crying]

Archived