Gibson Brands Forums

New Finsh Question

Priority Four

I have a standard J45 that was built in Feb of this year. The nitro finish seems soft. It is hard to keep this guitar clean. I just buff most of my guitars with a dry tee shirt. I almost always need a little polish to get the arm rash off of it. Will that finish harden up with time? Should I be doing something different?

Hello!

yes definitely it will eventually harden and cure completely. Nitro is mailable for quite a long time and you'll probably always notice some haze where your skin comes in contact with the top.

A lot of us use Virtuoso cleaner and polish - it's probably the best stuff out there for nitro, (or any other finish. for that fact).

best,

/Ray

Sorry, I thought you had a question about a bird. Anyhow, how d'ja like the finsh (finshes) on this Les Paul?

ScreenShot2014-07-07at62130PM_zps0fb512dd.png

Nitrocellulose lacquer reacts readily with certain body chemistries, especially in warmer weather. Yes, many Gibson players swear by the Virtuoso polish, described on their website as being designed specifically for nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. It also does a good job protecting, so that things wipe off easily. Makes for a speedy feeling neck, too.

Not a problem in long sleeve weather, but in warm, and especially outside playing environments, many players will avoid the gross sensation of sweating on their guitars by cutting a thin cotton sock between the toe & heel, and wearing that "elbow" on the arm that drapes over the lower bout. Maybe you could give that a shot while you're waiting for that nitro to cure.

Hi Priority Four,

Whatever you do, do not leave a Snark tuner on your guitar for any length of time (such as overnight). The Nitro doesn't react well to rubber. Similarly, some guitar stands have materials that will damage nitro finishes.

Finches, on the other hand, don't do much damage to guitars unless they peck or poop.

Thanks for the comments. I had not thought about the tuner. I always take it off when I put it away, but I am going to be more aware of how long it is on there. I get that the nitro never really cures, but my other nitro finished guitars were not ever this soft feeling.

Archived