Gibson Brands Forums

comparing Explorers

the dog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

to the OP - the Government Explorer is not an inferior instrument, it's like a more basic version of the Explorer and that's that :) Man that thing is huge compared to the Les Paul...

Despite of sizes, my Government Series II Explorer is about 3.6 kilograms or circa 7 lbs 15 oz, clearly less weight than Les Paul guitars. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Despite of sizes, my Government Series II Explorer is about 3.6 kilograms or circa 7 lbs 15 oz, clearly less weight than Les Paul guitars. B)

I've had a couple of other Explorers over the years, here's my latest and overall my most favorite version.

BKExplorer_zpsff45156c.jpg

I've had a couple of other Explorers over the years, here's my latest and overall my most favorite version.

Now that's a beauty.

What year is that?

That is the first I've seen pup selector switch where yours is.(I would have trouble changing pups from rhythm to lead and back quick in that location)

Only 1 volume and tone...

Thank you for this information. I was wondering about the gold covered pickups of yours. To my knowledge, only Custom Shop Limited Explorers seemed to come stock with covered AlNiCo humbuckers for many years.

I believe that most of the late 70's Explorer pups were covered and all the hardware was gold plated. The pups were mostly Tarbacks from what I've seen, I guess they are alnico as they measure out at about 7.5. The higher output pick ups seem to start on these models in the early 80s. And they seem to have dispensed with the covers by about that time as well.

(Edited to add) mine seems to be having a wiring problem and both of the pick ups are measuring at about 5.0.

Damn nice Explorer, a Bill Kelliher Golden Axe I guess. These are amazing in every respect. Although they came at a reasonable price, it sadly was beyond my budget as long as they were available. I would have wanted one, too... [crying]

Damn nice Explorer, a Bill Kelliher Golden Axe I guess. These are amazing in every respect. Although they came at a reasonable price, it sadly was beyond my budget as long as they were available. I would have wanted one, too... [crying]

That answered my question.

Thanks Cap

Archived