Gibson Brands Forums

Finish issue on my new J-35

SonofSkywalker

So I've had my new J-35 for a couple of weeks now and I'm really loving the guitar but I've noticed there are four small round marks on the top just below the bridge two on each side in a kind of diagonal line. It looks like maybe the top has been clamped at some point as the grain in the wood has even been misshaped .

Should I be worried about it or is it just one of those things with a Gibson.

I love the tone of the guitar and don't have a real problem with the marks it just seems a bit of a shame after spending so much money that the finish is damaged or is this just the joys of having a cheaper Gibson?

SOS, are there any corresponding marks on your guitar case or the packing box the guitar arrived in? [mellow]

I think that an inspection from the inside of the guitar would be in order. If only to see if there are corresponding marks there.

As always, some pictures might help in solving the mystery of this story.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/tvw23so5r4offkp/J35_issues.jpg

J35_marks.jpg

Sorry I'm not sure how to attach pictures hopefully this has worked

This looks definitely not nice. [thumbdn] Sorry for you, mate. :(

As far as I can see, it seems to have happened to the wood before finishing. If I were you, I would return the blemished guitar.

I think to be honest I just didn't notice them at first and as the top has started to darken they have become more noticeable. I'm not that concerned about them as long as they won't do any long term damage to the guitar. They must have been done in the factory as they are under the nitro finish. It's just disappointing more than anything that my first Gibson purchase has issues. I doubt the dealer I bought it off will be very interested as its 3 weeks old and has the usual playing pick scratches etc now.

Don't get me wrong I love the guitar in every other way I'm just disappointed in the marks on the top it's taken a little bit of the shine off owning my first Gibson

I think to be honest I just didn't notice them at first and as the top has started to darken they have become more noticeable. I'm not that concerned about them as long as they won't do any long term damage to the guitar. They must have been done in the factory as they are under the nitro finish. It's just disappointing more than anything that my first Gibson purchase has issues. I doubt the dealer I bought it off will be very interested as its 3 weeks old and has the usual playing pick scratches etc now.

Don't get me wrong I love the guitar in every other way I'm just disappointed in the marks on the top it's taken a little bit of the shine off owning my first Gibson

The playing scratch thing might foul up getting a full refund. So I guess it would be best to put up with it although it seems to be a wood issue, not a finish problem. Using wood filler and refinishing wouldn't make the guitar better, so I hope you will get over it with time. I also guess it doesn't affect the tone.

Perhaps you are able to get a belated discount for that blemish? It won't heal a thing but maybe help a bit in getting over it. I did that in the past, too, and the retailers proved being honest in dealing with it.

Hope this helps.

Well done, NatStrat.. Thx for sticking your neck out on that one.. Yes it DOES look bookmatched, & by what the OP said about it seeming to be under the finish (it can still suck the finish in, as a birdseye can), & a recollection of personally seeing something like this before, although less noticeable on a sunburst, it's quite possible that is what we've got here.

DDan- thx for making that image viewable for those of us on mobiles.

NatStrat I'd never thought of it like that it could be you're right The thing that made me think it was damage was because the grain in the wood looks almost squashed to the shapes you see on pic. Maybe it's just as you say I'm no carpenter or know much about wood etc

But like I said it doesn't really bother me I was just worried incase it caused any problems further down the years

Thanks for the replies guys : ) I really appreciate it

My very first thought in looking at this top - it's bookmatched figure in the grain.

Some people think it's a real plus to have all kinds of wavey stuff in the spruce & call it "bearclaw" figuring.

So think of this as an enhancement, and enjoy your new guitar!

It appears to be in the wood and personally, I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're happy with the guitar's tone and playability. My J-35 had a finish crack on the top just above the fretboard that can barely be seen and I got a $500 discount. It's such a particularly good J-35, the finish crack didn't matter....but sure am glad I got the discount. :) If in fact those circles are part of the wood, I seriously doubt any kind of discount is a consideration and as mentioned, makes your J-35 unique.

Good luck with yours. From my experience trying three J-35s to find a special one, not all J-35s are equal. So if yours 'speaks to you', plays well and you like it that much, hang onto it and enjoy it.

DC

Archived