Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville vs Memphis es 335

glider

I just picked up a 1996 es 335 that was made in the Nashville plant. I thought most es guitars were built on the Memphis shop.. Any significant differences? Difference in quality control? Or we're all es 335 from '96 produced in Nashville . Thanks

I can only speak of my Memphis Custom Shop ES345 1959 reissue but the quality is outstanding. No complaints other than the strange stink I have spoken of elsewhere but - I'm pleased to say - it now seems to be lessening.

• 8 months later...

I just joined this forum, on the occasion of getting a new '15 SG Special, my 5th. Gibson (4 electric & 1 Advance Jumbo acoustic). I looked up my 335 via serial # and found out that it was made in '02 in Nashville, but it came in a Gibson Memphis case... so I'm a little confused now - I always thought it was a Memphis guitar because of the case. Not that that makes much of a difference, I just play it, regardless of the provenance.

I just joined this forum, on the occasion of getting a new '15 SG Special, my 5th. Gibson (4 electric & 1 Advance Jumbo acoustic). I looked up my 335 via serial # and found out that it was made in '02 in Nashville, but it came in a Gibson Memphis case... so I'm a little confused now - I always thought it was a Memphis guitar because of the case. Not that that makes much of a difference, I just play it, regardless of the provenance.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Gibson Memphis cases were a fairly new thing, my 2010 Memphis 335 has Gibson Custom on the case.

Ian

... made in '02 in Nashville, but it came in a Gibson Memphis case... so I'm a little confused now...

The orange sticker in the guitar will say "Gibson Nashville" or "Gibson Memphis", that's where your guitar was made.

A case is a case is a case. What's printed on your (or anybody's) case is meaningless. Very few "big box' purchased guitars ever leave the building in the same case they case in in!

Archived