Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

jannusguy2

Snagged this today. Solid player. Guessing a little on the year but I think it's a '47. No FON, script logo, pearloid markers, should have bound fretboard but doesn't. A couple of cleated top cracks, overspray on back/sides from long ago, replaced but correct tuners and replaced pick guard. Plays like butter. Big sound, great tone.

IMG_0194_zps01259ac6.jpg

IMG_0195_zpsf1d2565c.jpg

IMG_0198_zps558e3d76.jpg

Hey JG; nice SJ!!

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "nice player" -- to me that guitar looks ("looks") to be in pretty fine shape, not what I would consider "player grade" necessarily.

I see what appears to be original bridge or else an excellent replica, minor wear around the soundhole and south of the pickguard, possible wear on the lower bass bout (?) and an original pickguard -- overall, looks to be in nice shape.

Am I missing something?

Fred (happy SJ owner myself!)

Hey JG; nice SJ!!

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "nice player" -- to me that guitar looks ("looks") to be in pretty fine shape, not what I would consider "player grade" necessarily.

I see what appears to be original bridge or else an excellent replica, minor wear around the soundhole and south of the pickguard, possible wear on the lower bass bout (?) and an original pickguard -- overall, looks to be in nice shape.

Am I missing something?

Fred (happy SJ owner myself!)

Hey Fred, she looks pretty at a distance. There's a cleated center seam crack + another 3 repaired cracks on the top, a repaired dent just at the lower right side of the pick guard (which is a replacement). All the work was pro done. The guy I bought it from has had it for 20 yrs and most of the work was done before he got it. Tuner replacement, overspray on back & sides all over 20 yrs. old. I think she's purty but she's had a life of playing! Which is only right, right?

Hey Fred, she looks pretty at a distance. There's a cleated center seam crack + another 3 repaired cracks on the top, a repaired dent just at the lower right side of the pick guard (which is a replacement). All the work was pro done. The guy I bought it from has had it for 20 yrs and most of the work was done before he got it. Tuner replacement, overspray on back & sides all over 20 yrs. old. I think she's purty but she's had a life of playing! Which is only right, right?

Ok -- gotcha! Photos are only as good as the quality of the images. From the distance depicted in the photos, she looks pretty good.

My best guitar is a player too, hence the name, I guess!

What leans you toward calling it a '47, rather than a '46?

Fred

Nice. '46 were thought of as having the unbound fretboard, but you're thinking pearloid fret markers? Puts you back to '47 where they changed from mop. What's your nut width? 1-11/16"? That would mostly be a '47 thing. Isn't trying to figure out Gibsons fun?

Enjoy!

Wouldn't the bridge originally have been straight or a reverse-belly,

rather than a Martin-like belly down bridge?

Some periods during WW2 and shortly after had belly-down bridges on SJs, and on some (very few) J-45s too.

Fred

Beautiful, JG2!

Most of your guitars previously look fairly new - is this your oldest guitar?

BluesKing777.

It is now. I have a 1951 J45 and a 1960 D 18. I had a 1931 017 but sold that last year. This is the first guitar from the 40s that I've owned.

Wouldn't the bridge originally have been straight or a reverse-belly,

rather than a Martin-like belly down bridge?

From Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars: P. 158: Belly below bridge, bound fingerboard (absent on this one), pearloid double parallelogram inlays, no banner on peg head. 1946

It hits all the marks except the bound finger board. So, I guess either 46 or 47.

Here's a pic of my '53 SJ (sold) and my '51 J45. Belly up on both.

J45.jpg

Snagged?! That implies you stumbled upon it in a pawn shop and the doddering old owners didn't know how valuable it was. Let's cut to the chase...how much it cost?

I got it for half of what I sold my '53 for. Local seller, listed yesterday on the net and he didn't want to ship it anywhere. Serendipity. I planned to flip it but it sounds great. We shall see.

The Vintage Guitar guide 2014 says:

SJ (Southern Jumbo)

1942-1944 9,600-12,000

1948-1949 5,600 - 7,000

No idea why there's no listing for 1945-1947. But the 2013 edition is the same.

Hmmn, that's weird. I just went back an looked at my 2012 version and it does the same thing. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Archived