Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

With the wife working all holiday weekend I figured it was the perfect chance to relax and go check out guitars. Lately I've been gassin' for a Gretsch Duo Jet in Caddy Green but haven't come across any so it was really just a chance to chill and play some different axes.

Stopped in a couple places and nothing really caught my attention but at the 3rd store up on the top tier of guitars there it was. An American Standard Strat in Sonic Blue.

"Anything you'd like to play?" asked the salesdude.

"Yeah let me see that blue Strat." I heard myself say.

Now I'm chuckling to myself because I don't even need another guitar let alone another strat. Played that sucker unplugged for maybe 20 minutes when the salesdude comes back and asks if I wanna plug her in?

No! was definitely the word in my head but low and behold I nodded YES. Plugged her into a Fender twin and I caved! I did. Defenseless, my willpower lying on the floor in a twisted mess.

I don't remember pulling out my wallet. I don't remember putting it in my car. I don't remember driving home but it's here and it's mine.

IMG_1211_zps1aaf89d3.jpg

IMG_1213_zpsf639dd56.jpg

IMG_1217_zpsa823b310.jpg

IMG_1218_zpsf979e993.jpg

When thinking about your topic description, I guess it happened just the other way round: This Strat was looking for you! [biggrin]

Great catch, HNGD, this guitar knows where she belongs! [thumbup]

And yes, you're right, NOW you don't need another Strat. :rolleyes: Or at least not so soon... [scared]

[flapper][biggrin]

Congrats on the new Sonic Blue Strat! I fell for a similar light blue strat a few years back - a Highway One Daphne Blue strat which is pictured here & she looks (and sounds) particularly delicious with my Fender 57 Twin reissue tweed amp - also pictured. Here's the link:

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/daphnebluestrat.html

Lay down the boogie and play that funky music til you die [thumbup]

Thanks guys. My son and I were talking about the Fender design your guitar experience and he said I should do that. I might have done that if they offered surf green or sonic blue so this is pretty close to what I would've had built.

Seems like you and the Strat actually were looking for each other. [thumbup]

Very sweet indeed, cookie! I love the feel of a rosewood 'boarded Strat.

[thumbup]

I can't remember whether your others have the 2-screw fulcrum bridge or the older 6-screw style.

If you have one of the latter can I ask is there any perceptible difference in use as far as you can judge?

Apologies for going off-topic for a moment but I thought the Rev's Daphne Blue Strat looked to be the same colour as your new Sonic Blue one so I googled 'Daphne Blue Strat'.

There does seem to be a wide variation of diffrerent hues under the same name. Odd.

Pick Long and Prosper, cookie!

P.

Apologies for going off-topic for a moment but I thought the Rev's Daphne Blue Strat looked to be the same colour as your new Sonic Blue one so I googled 'Daphne Blue Strat'.

There does seem to be a wide variation of diffrerent hues under the same name. Odd.

P.

Has always been and still is, for MIA and MIM Fenders as well. It wouldn't make me wonder with transparent or translucent colours, but they could make solid ones more consistent I think.

The both of my solid-coloured MIM FR Strats are a bit untypical, too. The Lake Placid Blue one is a bit bright and slightly greenish while the Candy Apple Red appears to be rather dark. Anyway, when about sparkling colours, I consider a certain range of variation as normal.

I've always admired your guitar collection, cookie, and your Gretsches are really nice. But personally, I'm not a big fan of Bigsbys, and that is one of the reasons I got rid of my 6120. For that reason, my next Gretsch will be a Penguin; that guitar is practically everything I like about a Gretsch.

Archived