Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

I've always admired your guitar collection, cookie, and your Gretsches are really nice. But personally, I'm not a big fan of Bigsbys, and that is one of the reasons I got rid of my 6120. For that reason, my next Gretsch will be a Penguin; that guitar is practically everything I like about a Gretsch.

Zig, what is it about the bigs that you don't care for?

I can't remember whether your others have the 2-screw fulcrum bridge or the older 6-screw style.

If you have one of the latter can I ask is there any perceptible difference in use as far as you can judge?

I see it is the fulcrum style, but the saddles are the old school 6-screw style. I guess that's the way they are doing them now? My American Standard has the fulcrum bridge with the modern style saddles. I like the more old school look of these.

I've always admired your guitar collection, cookie, and your Gretsches are really nice. But personally, I'm not a big fan of Bigsbys, and that is one of the reasons I got rid of my 6120. For that reason, my next Gretsch will be a Penguin; that guitar is practically everything I like about a Gretsch.

Not a fan of bigsby's either. But I am a fan of the Gretsch White Penguin (as you can see)

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/mywhitepenguin.html

They're almost too pretty to play [smile]

Zig, what is it about the bigs that you don't care for?

A lot of little stuff. Tuning was always an issue on my G6120 Nashville, esp. after dive bombing, which I would do fairly often on some songs. Keeping a new set of strings on helped and keeping the nut lubed. As few wraps as possible around tuning posts helped. Stringing could be a pain in the arse. I might have also considered a rolling bridge, but that would have cost extra. Didn't care much for the way the Bigsby was mounted to the guitar and kind of floated on the body. The Bigsby arm height would have to be adjusted if there was any kind of string tension variance. Stuff like that...

Archived