Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Les Paul?

harmeet45

Hey guys.

So I found this Les Paul on a local classifieds website. The ad says "Les Paul Standard Vintage condition", and is listed for $1000. I am an absolute Gibson newb so I have no idea if it's real or not. It seems quite good, and there is nice wear on the guitar. Take a look at the pictures and see for yourself if it's a steal or a fake?

post-66341-063631900 1404912017_thumb.jpg

post-66341-037739200 1404912053_thumb.jpg

post-66341-061504700 1404912067_thumb.jpg

post-66341-092385800 1404912081_thumb.jpg

post-66341-097747400 1404912110_thumb.jpg

Hello!

Here at the Forums, we have a silent agreement not to point out to faults counterfeiters make. We don`t want them to get better at their dirty business.

There are at least half a dozen tell-tale signs that proves it`s a typical chinese copy. (Not to mention the chinese text over the pictures).

If You want official confirmation, please turn to Gibson Customer Service, or wait a little until one of the admins comments too.

Cheers... Bence

Hey guys.

So I found this Les Paul on a local classifieds website. The ad says "Les Paul Standard Vintage condition", and is listed for $1000. I am an absolute Gibson newb so I have no idea if it's real or not. It seems quite good, and there is nice wear on the guitar. Take a look at the pictures and see for yourself if it's a steal or a fake?

The low price and Chinese writing on the pics suggests it's a Chinese fake, usually these go for about $400 new. It does not even look like its mahogany and almost all Gibsons are made from mahogany. Go look at real Les Pauls at any major music store and get more familiar with the real ones. I would not buy a used one until you really know what you are doing, buy a new one from a reputable dealer.

Btw, that's a lot of wear on the back, you almost never see that

The low price and Chinese writing on the pics suggests it's a Chinese fake, usually these go for about $400 new. It does not even look like its mahogany and almost all Gibsons are made from mahogany. Go look at real Les Pauls at any major music store and get more familiar with the real ones. I would not buy a used one until you really know what you are doing, buy a new one from a reputable dealer.

Btw, that's a lot of wear on the back, you almost never see that

I see, although the website I'm purchasing from is a relatively reliable Chinese website, as I live in Hong Kong.

He said it was old, apparently purchased in the 90s. Any idea if this checks out?

I see, although the website I'm purchasing from is a relatively reliable Chinese website, as I live in Hong Kong.

He said it was old, apparently purchased in the 90s. Any idea if this checks out?

No,it's a fake. Other things give it away.

Hello again!

That`s a lie. Those who have the insight let them calculate the serial number.

Cheers... Bence

...It seems quite good, and there is nice wear on the guitar...

No it doesn't and no there isn't.

It's firewood.

He's lying. It's not old - it looks like it's brand new - and it's certainly not from the '90s.

If you think someone who sells counterfeit goods for 3x the going rate is relatively reliable you should think again.

That guitar is a piece of garbage.

As has been mentioned before; you should report that criminal to the authorities before they steal someone's hard earned money.

And I hope the seller goes to prison for a very, very long time.

P.

It's firewood.

Seriously? Even no brand Strat copies don't have that kind of s***.

Apologies if I sounded dumb ("It seems quite good"), as I said this would have been my first Gibson/Epiphone purchase, and I've only tried them out once or twice.

It's firewood.

He's lying. It's not old - it looks like it's brand new - and it's certainly not from the '90s.

If you think someone who sells counterfeit goods for 3x the going rate is relatively reliable you should think again.

That guitar is a piece of garbage.

As has been mentioned before; you should report that criminal to the authorities before they steal someone's hard earned money.

And I hope the seller goes to prison for a very, very long time.

P.

Seems like the right thing to do, I will do that as well as report to Gibson.

BTW, I noticed extremely cheap LP copies with the Gibson logo that look decent for around 100 bucks. Do you think it would be worth buying that and then doing pretty as much as I can to upgrade (refretting, tuners, pickups, hardware, electronics) using authentic Gibson or reliable parts? I imagine I would save a bit.

I don't intend to sell this as a real Gibson or even pass it off as one, if anyone asks I will tell them the real story. AFAIK, where I am, if you possess a fake item, if you are caught purchasing it the most you get is the item confiscated and a small fine. If you intend to pass it off as a real one, then it's pretty harsh.

But in a nutshell, I will report to the website owners, police and Gibson.

BTW, I noticed extremely cheap LP copies with the Gibson logo that look decent for around 100 bucks. Do you think it would be worth buying that and then doing pretty as much as I can to upgrade (refretting, tuners, pickups, hardware, electronics) using authentic Gibson or reliable parts? I imagine I would save a bit.

What You would invest on it, could be spent on an entry-level Gibson (LPJ, LPM, Studio) as well, saving lots of time and hassle.

Whatever You do to these, they never be like a Gibson. Save Yourself some unnecessary rounds, You`ll end up with a Gibson anyways. The Studio is an excellent instrument, much more affordable than the Traditionals, Standards, etc. but they don`t miss a thing that makes a Gibson, a Gibson...

Cheers... Bence

BTW, I noticed extremely cheap LP copies with the Gibson logo that look decent for around 100 bucks. Do you think it would be worth buying that and then doing pretty as much as I can to upgrade (refretting, tuners, pickups, hardware, electronics) using authentic Gibson or reliable parts? I imagine I would save a bit...

No. That would be a complete waste of your money.

Much of the tone of the Les Paul comes from the woods used in it's construction and the way in which the body is put together.

By the time you have finished buying all the bits you'd need to complete the guitar you would have spent far too much assembling a well-appointed piece of junk.

It's a technique known as 'Turd-Polishing'.

If you have a small-ish but still OK-sized budget you should buy a used Les Paul Studio instead.

These have all the tone of a Les Paul but, because they were made without all the fancy trimming, they are relatively cheap to buy even when new.

Second-hand they are a bargain and they are very, very good guitars.

P.

EDIT : Bence and I posted exactly the same advice at exactly the same time!......Spooky!!!................[lol]

EDIT : Bence and I posted exactly the same advice at exactly the same time!......Spooky!!!................[lol]

This coincidence of time is spooky, indeed. :D However, the consonance of our posts is not surprising at all. :)

We all know Gibson Les Paul Studios are simply: great.

Cheers... Bence

Seems like the right thing to do, I will do that as well as report to Gibson.

I don't intend to sell this as a real Gibson or even pass it off as one, if anyone asks I will tell them the real story. AFAIK, where I am, if you possess a fake item, if you are caught purchasing it the most you get is the item confiscated and a small fine. If you intend to pass it off as a real one, then it's pretty harsh.

But in a nutshell, I will report to the website owners, police and Gibson.

As for me, I rather play a honest Epiphone than a faked Gibson or whatever brand counterfeit.

I admit that in most cases I prefer playing one of my Gibson Les Paul guitars over my Epiphone Les Paul guitar, but the latter provides switching options different from those of my Gibsons making her my #1 choice for several songs.

... I don't intend to sell this as a real Gibson or even pass it off as one, if anyone asks I will tell them the real story. AFAIK, where I am, if you possess a fake item, if you are caught purchasing it the most you get is the item confiscated and a small fine. If you intend to pass it off as a real one, then it's pretty harsh. ...

Glad to find someone questioning the authenticity of a guitar BEFORE they've spent their money. A wise move.

OTOH, it's somewhat disturbing to find someone seemingly eager to spend money on counterfeits and then considering to resell them. Despite declaring your sale a fake, taking part in the counterfeiting industry helps to sustain those that manufacture the counterfeits, and that's not a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

yep! that one screamed "I am counterfeit" about as quick as you can say "is it fake?"

and it's a horrible FAKE at that... yeeesh!

That was the exact same reaction I had to it! [lol]

Definitely a Chibson! Save your money and invest in a Studio, mate. Or go full whack and head towards Standard and Traditional territory. Gibbo's are worth the investment; they'll pay you back what you put in 10-fold.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys.

I will send you a PM with a couple of informative videos on this subject. I used this to educate myself with last year.

Archived