Gibson Brands Forums

es330 '59 2012

fauvent

Hello guys,

I just have a very simple question. I am about to buy a 2012 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-330 VOS Blonde, in top condition! Its very very pricy, but I don't like the new version with the split in back and the "flame pattern" of the wood, so I decide I'll take this one... is used but it is like new. My question is... are all es330 made in Memphis? I just got confused because I saw a wildwood youtube video, and the guy described as "Gibson Memphis ES-330 VOS"

Yes, they are all made in Memphis.

I have a natural finish 2012, and it's an absolute gem of a guitar.

The 2013 did indeed have a two-piece top, but before the end of 2013 the 330-VOS had reverted back to a one-piece top, and in 2014 it's still a one-piece top. Apparently the pickups on the newest version have been somewhat modified.

There can be significant differences from one instrument to the next, so as always, it's best to do side by side comparisons if at all possible. When purchasing mine, the first two I played did nothing for me (either in tone or playability), but the third one was a perfect match, and I simply couldn't leave without it!

Thank you bobouz,

What about the finish??? I wanted to buy this 2012 because the finish look more even... you know I dont see very much grain of the wood (which i dont like very much), and in the 2013 version you see it very much and also they came out with "flame" pattern right? which in my opinion is horrible.

Thanks guys!

Thank you bobouz,

What about the finish??? I wanted to buy this 2012 because the finish look more even... you know I dont see very much grain of the wood (which i dont like very much), and in the 2013 version you see it very much and also they came out with "flame" pattern right? which in my opinion is horrible.

Thanks guys!

Since the return to one-piece tops at the end of 2013, Gibson does seem to have gone to tops with some flame, whereas the 2012 examples I've seen were all rather plain. It's just a matter of personal preference, and my favorite is the one-piece plain top. It is also widely speculated that 2012s have two-piece fingerboards (as a result of rosewood being confiscated from the factory), but I've never actually read where anyone took the nut off their 330-VOS to confirm this. I have not checked mine & personally consider it a non-issue with a bound neck, but to some it's important.

Since the return to one-piece tops at the end of 2013, Gibson does seem to have gone to tops with some flame, whereas the 2012 examples I've seen were all rather plain. It's just a matter of personal preference, and my favorite is the one-piece plain top. It is also widely speculated that 2012s have two-piece fingerboards (as a result of rosewood being confiscated from the factory), but I've never actually read where anyone took the nut off their 330-VOS to confirm this. I have not checked mine & personally consider it a non-issue with a bound neck, but to some it's important.

It is a personal decision, I dont like flames... I prefer it plain... Thank you for taking time to bring light to this topic bobouz!

Regards!

Archived