Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 2008 Limited True Vintage VOS vs New Vintage

mrfett

Hello,

I have a kind of silly question, pretty much one of those requests for information in order to justify a purchase lol. I've found a pretty nice 2008 J-45 Limited True Vintage VOS, one of the 167 they made with the Adirondack spruce tops. I know there's a decent up-charge now for the all hide glue Wildwood New Vintage models, and I was hoping someone could tell me if the 2008 VOS models were constructed the same way. The press release at the time said they were "constructed with hot hide glue", but does that mean just the top, the whole guitar, or what?

I'm mostly just trying to figure out what a fair price is for one of the VOS models and where it fits spec-wise among the plethora of J-45 models. I'm not interested in any potential gain in tone or whatever. Most of these seem like lovely instruments. Thanks!

Not all the New Vintage guitars from Wildwood were hide glue throughout.

some were hide at the neck only. I believe that the NV and the TV were very similar,

separated I believe by a different finish...ie TV a 'duller' used look, whilst the NV was fullt buffed and polished.

I am not an expert, this is from memory, which is less than good!

I think there's some confusion around the Wildwood models because there are Wildwood New Vintage and Wildwood New Vintage Hide Glue models.

Wildwood New Vintage uses hide glue for the neck and x bracing.

Wildwood New Vintage Hide Glue uses hide glue for the neck, x bracing, and "other elements of its construction" (according to Gibson), which I believe to be the back bracing, but not the kerfing that holds the back and top to the sides or the bridge.

As for the 2008 Limited Edition True Vintage VOS, I believe (and this is from memory, so do some more research), that hide glue was the neck joint only, not the top. That it had an adi top was the feature that made it different from the run that preceded it, I think.

Red 333

thanks so much for the replies guys. I've read through this forum and a few others searching for info on what exactly Gibson meant by "Each Limited Edition True Vintage SJ-200 and J-45 will be built with a top made from solid Red Spruce, a rare and highly prized tone wood, and will be constructed with hot hide glue, just like back in the day." I imagine it's been too long for anyone to remember (if they ever really knew the answer to begin with). It's all good. Thanks for the replies though, I got the guitar and it's wonderful.

Archived