Gibson Brands Forums

1963 - 120T

naples.rick

My parents bought me this guitar (120T) when i was 7 and I have had it ever since. Really didn't play it much as time went on but am returning back to it now as I approach retirement. I like using an amp with it just to get a bit more volume but recently I started getting loud feedback which seems to be grounding or something - when I hold the metal part of the plug, the feedback diminishes. Anyway, i am sending it in to a reputable/authorized Gibson repair person - it could use a once over since it hasn't been touched before. I know this is an entry level guitar but i like the look of it and frankly for my own entertainment, it is just fine. My question is should I have him do anything more than just clean and repair. I assume keeping original has some aesthetic value but not really a big deal for me as I never plan to sell it (not worth much anyway) and it is just for my own enjoyment. Any suggestions are appreciated - and will make for interesting reading by me at least. I've read the other threads on this which were helpful starting points. thanks.

I shielded the pickguard with coppertape, it´s much less scratch and hum since i did that and shielded it properly, now it´s keeper!

Even though they are entry level guitars, they´re great with the nice woods Gibson used back then and the craftsmanship is flawless and a bit more.

Aside from fixing the electronics, which provide 90% of the sonic enjoyment you'll get from it, I'd ask my guitar guy to make it as easy playing as he can...in other words have it set up with nice low action. I think this goes a long way if you're a beginner or someone like yourself who is reconnecting with playing. Tired hands and sore fingertips make for frustration and kill the fun.

Sometimes jacks get some corrosion inside and that makes a horrible noise through an amp this is very common with my guitars that sit for years. I have a 1/4 inch steel brush designed for cleaning out gun barrels and that will fix that problem. Just work it in and out a few times is all it takes.

Thanks all. I will pass all this on to the person who is cleaning it up - since it has been 50+ years i'll have a professional give it a full look. The bridge is stripped so the screw wheels don;t raise/lower any longer and the full electronics will need cleaning etc. I look forward to getting it back. I do often find myself staring at the back of the body or neck admiring the beautiful wood and workmanship. Unlikely in this day and age that one would find a "student guitar" with this quality.

Archived