Gibson Brands Forums

Anytune App...excellent learning tool.

Ryan H

Found a really cool app today called Anytune for iOS...

Take any song in your library, slow it down or speed it up anywhere from 5% speed to 250% speed, and it tells you what BPM you're at as well. No change in pitch.

Or, you can change the pitch on it's own, up to an octave in each direction, in semitone increments or you can fine-tune in hundredths of a semitone.

Or you can do both. It also has an EQ section where you can add parametric EQ bands, shelves, high/low pass filters ect... Or you can use the presets provided (remove vocal, reduce bass ect.)

You can also loop sections of a song, and fine-scrub through the track to find exactly the spot you want.

Well worth the $15 for the Pro+ version. It adds HQ audio (which is pretty much required) and a bunch of other useful features.

Also a Universal app, so if you buy it, you have it on iPhone and iPad.

Very easy to use, quality of pitch and time adjustment is great.

Will be learning a Ton of songs with this app.

-Ryan

You may want to check out Yamaha's THR Session app, it does most of those things (I 'm not sure if it slows the music down) and it's free. You don't even have to own a THR amp, but it is difficult to find, I think the best way is to search round the Yamaha THR amps website.

Ian

Hi Ryan, did you know that Windows Media Player has been able to do this for a while now?

it's not perfect but it's worked.

I know, but the functionality of having the Anytune app on my phone is preferrable to being tied to my PC :P

-Ryan

You may want to check out Yamaha's THR Session app, it does most of those things (I 'm not sure if it slows the music down) and it's free. You don't even have to own a THR amp, but it is difficult to find, I think the best way is to search round the Yamaha THR amps website.

Ian

Being able to slow the music down without changing pitch is the biggest selling point of Anytune for me. I've already purchased it, so I don't really need to look for a free app that does less :P

Thanks for the suggestion though,

-Ryan

There's another good app out there Ryan, called ' Chord detector' which analyses and breaks down the chords to any track you open in it.

Cool, might check it out...though I still prefer to learn by ear nowadays ;)

-Ryan

The technology age we're in is really remarkable!

So many tools and options to choose from that simply didn't exist even a decade ago, let alone in my youth...

It can humble you though... I started recording rhythms to exchange with my drummer, and that's when I realized that playing by yourself as a guitarist leads to extremely poor timing... When you're always in time with yourself no matter what you do, it doesn't matter if you're actually in time and it shows terribly when you record it. I couldn't believe how terrible my timing is when I play by myself...

In a live gig setting there's a miraculous level of anticipation and premonition especially among good and familiar musicians... But a recorded piece doesn't allow for that kind of bond or connectivity between musicians... You just cannot anticipate mood and tempo changes with a recorded rhythm the way you can to each other in a live setting. It made me realize just how amazing that kind of bond and anticipation is playing live... Music really is a bit miraculous in itself with humans locked-in on an unspoken level that transcends simple sound...

Anyway to combat this truism, I've begun to utilize a metronome in an iPhone/iPod wearing headphones so only I can hear it and the amp loud enough in my music room for me to hear it thru/over/with the sound of the metronome in my ears...

It works very well and has had a wonderful polishing/honing effect on my playing/rhythm/timing!

It is a must for recording work!

Apps and technology today makes everything possible and achievable!

Archived