Gibson Brands Forums

2014 LP Standard

Tman

To celebrate what would have been my Dad's 98th birthday, since he supported my guitar playing when I was young, I decided to treat myself to a new guitar, in his honor.

Since I promised my wife no new guitars unless a grammy nomination was there, I had to arrange a trade. I really wanted a Les Paul Standard. It has everything I have grown to love:

Thin tapered 60's neck which is asymmetrical and compound radius: check

Tone pros bridge and stop tailpiece: check

Burstbucker pros: check.

Coil split: check

minietune comes with it: my only fear. I dealt with Wildwood in Colorado. Fantastic experience.

I think the minietune is cool as hell. I hate tuning and I hate being out of tune even more. When I'm home recording, I have to take the time to tune nearly every take. For someone like me who is obsessive, it's a real pain.

This get's it right in 3 seconds within a few cents. Awesome.

Here is the guitar taken by a professional for Wildwood!!!

140001975_lg4_zpsb46c790a.jpg

It arrived yesterday and plays like butter. I used the minietune after reading about it so I wouldn't screw up anything and it is fabulous. My wife said it looked like the guitar was "possessed". I figure I have a fabulous looking LP standard and worse case scenario I could perform an exorcism and change out the tuners if I had to, but I don't expect to have to do so. The LP plus was 1K more and the LP premium quilt was 2K more. The latter fact would have constituted "buying" another guitar so I went for the nearly even trade. I traded my custom exotic wood 335 bird's-eye maple. I loved it but not enough.

So far my evaluation is that everything is and will be up to expectations. I'll record a video of it using various tones, etc. this weekend. Cheers daddio and happy birthday! [thumbup]

That's a beauty Tman. One of my favorite burst colors. Congrats on the new baby. [thumbup]

Yea I thought I would go for Ocean Perimeter blue but I thought I may not like it as much. This honey burst spoke to me. Only thing I don't like is "minietune" on the truss cover. I'd like it to say Standard.

thats a beautiful guitar. congrats

Thanks Boris [biggrin]

Here are a couple more photos. This baby's got back!

140001975_lg2_zps4079bbb7.jpg

140001975_lg1_zpsec3eebf5.jpg

140001975_lg5_zps5c544df1.jpg

Beautiful... May you play it a long time in your dads memory (im sure hed be proud of that [thumbup] )

Lovely top and you cant beat a natural back... just stunning :) Look forward to hearing how she roars.

And actually most of the reasons you bought that were the same reasons I bought my 2008 Standard... Locking tone pro hardware, BB pros and a 60s slim asymmetrical tapered neck.. and I love it to bits [thumbup]

Love that back too. Nice grain. You can get Gibson Truss Rod covers at Antique Electronic Supply. Address below.

www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-GTTR03

Cool thanks!

Beautiful... May you play it a long time in your dads memory (im sure hed be proud of that [thumbup] )

Lovely top and you cant beat a natural back... just stunning :) Look forward to hearing how she roars.

And actually most of the reasons you bought that were the same reasons I bought my 2008 Standard... Locking tone pro hardware, BB pros and a 60s slim asymmetrical tapered neck.. and I love it to bits [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs! I'll walk the walk (hopefully) this weekend and shoot a video. I know this will be my main squeeze for sure.

I know right? And I use a heavy pick. Man what to do.

I think there's enough beautiful grain on that top to spare a little for a pick guard. Especially if you really use the pick guard like I do. I don't put it on for looks, I actually use it. And look at all the scratches that finish won't get under the pick guard. JMHO.

Congrats, Tman, on your nice buy, HNGD! [thumbup]

I feel that playing this beautiful guitar is a good way of honouring the memory of your father.

When about tuning precision, I am with you as my obsession is quite the same. On the other hand, I love truss rod covers saying nothing. The only Gibson with an engraved one is my Alex Lifeson Signature Les Paul Axcess with his facsimile signature on it. It also is truncated due to the locking nut and thus held by only one screw.

A factory-mounted pickguard on a Les Paul is usually a dealbreaker for me. It was hard for me making an exception when buying my Traditional 2013, and I can't really put up with that darn thing. The top hidden by it is so nice... Too bad one can't undrill holes. Two Gibson Les Paul Standards of mine came with supplied pickguards which I keep on the shelf, a third Standard of mine and the Alex Lifeson model came without.

When about top-routed guitars like most of my Fenders, there's nothing I can do. Moreover, my Gibson Explorer and most of my Gibson SGs and L6Ses also have top routings and electronics mounted to the pickguard. So I love at least my carved top guitars exposing their fine woods. I don't need a pickguard, but it also doesn't bother me when playing.

I think there's enough beautiful grain on that top to spare a little for a pick guard. Especially if you really use the pick guard like I do. I don't put it on for looks, I actually use it. And look at all the scratches that finish won't get under the pick guard. JMHO.

Tough one. My gut tells me to just leave it alone, at least for now. Most of my playing in the foreseeable future is going to be sitting in my little makeshift studio so there's not a huge amount of danger of me mucking it up. Hopefully.

NICE

Thanks RTC!

Congrats, Tman, on your nice buy, HNGD! [thumbup]

I feel that playing this beautiful guitar is a good way of honouring the memory of your father.

When about tuning precision, I am with you as my obsession is quite the same. On the other hand, I love truss rod covers saying nothing. The only Gibson with an engraved one is my Alex Lifeson Signature Les Paul Axcess with his facsimile signature on it. It also is truncated due to the locking nut and thus held by only one screw.

A factory-mounted pickguard on a Les Paul is usually a dealbreaker for me. It was hard for me making an exception when buying my Traditional 2013, and I can't really put up with that darn thing. The top hidden by it is so nice... Too bad one can't undrill holes. Two Gibson Les Paul Standards of mine came with supplied pickguards which I keep on the shelf, a third Standard of mine and the Alex Lifeson model came without.

When about top-routed guitars like most of my Fenders, there's nothing I can do. Moreover, my Gibson Explorer and most of my Gibson SGs and L6Ses also have top routings and electronics mounted to the pickguard. So I love at least my carved top guitars exposing their fine woods. I don't need a pickguard, but it also doesn't bother me when playing.

Thanks Capmaster. Dad was a really neat guy. He spoke 5 languages fluently. Pretty amazing.

As I said above, I'll probably leave the pg off for the immediate future. I'll use another guitar next time I play "Won't Get Fooled Again!"

Here's a test using Logic Pro. Jazzy mello chords I strung together with a fairly high gain solo. Rhythm is on neck pickup, coil split. Solo is on in-between neck and bridge, burst buckers pro. Messing around, maybe it'll turn into a song, hopefully. Timing is off a bit. Gotta work on that.

Awesome man.. sounds every bit as good as it looks [thumbup] (at least you used a backing track, when I make test vids I tend to just, whats a good word, dwarble? :) just what ever comes out comes out)

You did good :)

Awesome man.. sounds every bit as good as it looks [thumbup] (at least you used a backing track, when I make test vids I tend to just, whats a good word, dwarble? :) just what ever comes out comes out)

You did good :)

Thanks man! The backing track was just midi of the 2 chords played through stock piano plus Logic's drums. Pretty amazing what you can do on your computer at home!

Loving the split coil on either the neck or both. Cool sound when played clean.

Cheers

Here's a test using Logic Pro. Jazzy mello chords I strung together with a fairly high gain solo. Rhythm is on neck pickup, coil split. Solo is on in-between neck and bridge, burst buckers pro. Messing around, maybe it'll turn into a song, hopefully. Timing is off a bit. Gotta work on that.

Got some great Gibson Honk there!

Nice one!!!

Congrats!

Great guitar I wont own a robo tuner... ever, so they better figure out what they are selling me in 2015. I'm having a hard time convincing the wife I need a $6000 Custom Shop 1960 Standard Les Paul.

Check out the standard plus. Gorgeous and it has everything mentioned and no minietune. I'm liking it though, but still very early.

Still want a standard truss cover!

Im thinking if they could come up with a 2015 in this color exactly like this with 60s profile they could sell it to me.

140054438-front-large.jpg

With a 60's profile. Very nice. That profile was the deciding factor for me.

Archived