Gibson Brands Forums

Using sunlight to darken top

meanstreak

I heard a horror story of a guy trying to age the tone and look of his Gibson. Maybe on here. He lived in New Mexico, and left it sit in direct sunlight with no humidification. Apparently the top bowed, braces popped loose, and he basically totaled his guitar. I have a 12 year old Ajay, and the bindings are getting a cool darker look just living in the case.

Yea, you gotta have a certain 'gefühl' about this. Mexico is pretty hot, isn't it.

Anyway - don't try to age your guitar by throwing it on the fire. .

Cool darker bindings from dark existence, , , well, cool ,-)

Yea, you gotta have a certain 'gefühl' about this. Mexico is pretty hot, isn't it.

Anyway - don't try to age your guitar by throwing it on the fire. .

Cool darker bindings from dark existence, , , well, cool ,-)

I think that the bindings are darkening just by aging. I don't think it's the lighting or temperature doing it.

I think that the bindings are darkening just by aging. I don't think it's the lighting or temperature doing it.

To add the perfect Gibson-comment, I don't think there's any consistent rule. That Counts for other brands as well. I have vintage guitars that hold a pretty white binding after 50 years and some that has yellowed after much less time. Quite often the same guitar age differently from binding to binding (fx neck to top) - if body chemestry plays in here, I can't tell.

And to end on a really weird note, I even have acoustics that show half yellow half white, , , , , like parallel split lines down the same zone of the binding

blink.gif

I rarely use smileys - this one is needed. . .

No need to bust b--ls. My bindings may be the same as the day that I picked it up. It's just that when I break out my AJ now, the bindings just look awesome. I may be crazy, but they look so cool I just think that they would have knocked me out if they had looked this good when it was new. Call me crazy! " koo-koo, koo-koo"

No need to bust b--ls. My bindings may be the same as the day that I picked it up. It's just that when I break out my AJ now, the bindings just look awesome. I may be crazy, but they look so cool I just think that they would have knocked me out if they had looked this good when it was new. Call me crazy! " koo-koo, koo-koo"

It IS amazing how much the right binding-hue means for the overall impression and 'feel-good' of a guitar.

I have a friend who obviously finds his J-45 Historic Collection too chalk-white and knows nothing can be done. He lives with it ,-)

My darker, brownish, yellowed ones are enjoyed daily. The artificial as the genuine aged.

And as said in the post above - the avatar 1963 SJ fx, has double-lines down the neck - white'n'yellow side by side. .

I used to have a seagull solid top 6 string that had a really pale top. I would leave it in a sunny room, on the couch right below a window that had very light drapes. It was not direct sunlight, but it was really bright in that room. It absolutely darkened the top over the course of maybe half a year.

I have heard that you can use sunlight to darken the top of a guitar....

My tech actually suggested this. Not direct sunlight, but if you're careful, as others have said, direct light may be OK. It should not only darken, but also bring out the grain....

Archived