Gibson Brands Forums

1940 -1942 ES-150 Transition Model-Pickup In Bridge Position

spud1950

There's a hot debate going on about this guitar that someone has come into posession of and seeking info about it on another forum. I'm pretty sure it's an ES-150,made from 1940-1942,after the Charlie Christain pickup was discontinued in the neck position and before the P-90 was introduced in the neck position. I have found this model mentioned in words on a few places on the net, but since I can't find a picture anywhere of another one, there's a lot of doubters because they're only familiar with the Christian and P-90 models. Can someone make a positive ID on this guitar so I can lay the debate to rest? Here's a link to some pictures.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/leightonbain/

A few thoughts.....

This looks to me like it could be an early ES-125.

In 1941 the smaller bodied ES-100 was renamed as ES-125 and had the bridge pickup like yours.

According to the Gruhn Guide, production on this model was suspended after 1943 until its reintroduction in 1946 as a 16" body with neck position pickup.

Yours is a prewar 16" guitar though and the earlier ES-100 was a 14.75". So I'm not clear as to whether Gibson had enlarged this new ES-125 model to 16" before 1943.

Another thought that occurred to me is that this might be a modified L-50 of the same vintage.

Thanks for your response.According to this site,and other references on the net,the ES-150 did indeed come in this configuration. "1940 ES-150 specs:

arched back, rectangular metal-covered adjustable pole pickup near bridge, jack on side, unbound fingerboard. Production halted for WWII in 1942."

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson3.html

Scroll down to ES-150. Anyway,the person who owns the guitar has decided to take my suggestion of getting an online ID and appraisal from Gruhn's.Seems like the best way to go.

Oops.....sorry, I missed that! This guitar does fit the ES-150 description circa 1940-42 in the Gruhn Guide.

Apparently I had my blinders on.....

........and probably should stick with what I know about my first love......acoustic archtops.

Anyway.....it will be interesting to hear what Gruhn has to say in his appraisal.

• 3 months later...
There's a hot debate going on about this guitar that someone has come into posession of and seeking info about it on another forum. I'm pretty sure it's an ES-150' date='made from 1940-1942,after the Charlie Christain pickup was discontinued in the neck position and before the P-90 was introduced in the neck position. I have found this model mentioned in words on a few places on the net, but since I can't find a picture anywhere of another one, there's a lot of doubters because they're only familiar with the Christian and P-90 models. Can someone make a positive ID on this guitar so I can lay the debate to rest? Here's a link to some pictures.

[/quote']

From what we understand here in the Harmony Guitar collecting world, the pickup shown on this Gibson is known as the Gibson P13. When Gibson came up with the P90 they sold their stock of P13's to the Harmony Company and Harmony used them on their upper end electric archtops like the H50s, H60, H62, H65, etc as well as many of their lap steels. There were 3 types, the adjustable pole, a "speedbump" model, and a square, non-adjustable pole. Here's an H65 that sold recently......

Harmony H65

You can see these pups and the Silvertone and Harmony guitars they appeared on here..........

The Harmony Database

Archived