Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Texan

brannon67

Im thinking about getting an Epiphone Texan for my wife to learn on. I and she played it at Guitar Center the other day, and we both liked it and agreed that it felt, played, and sounded great. If she decides she is done with it all, and gets disinterested in it, I will have a nice (not to expensive) backup to my J45 if need be. What do you guys think? Is the Texan worth it? Opinions please, Thanks....

There are most likely some very good Texans out there, as well as some mediocre ones. I played a new one a couple of weeks ago and it sounded pretty thin, but as always, the best bet is to sample three or four if at all possible.

A couple of months ago I went looking for an EL-00 Pro (being churned out of the same Indonesian factory as the Texan). Out of three sampled, two sounded rather tinny, while one sounded seriously good - so of course it came home with me.

This almost always tends to be the case if you're fortunate enough to be able to do such a comparison. But if that's not possible, go with your ears, and if you like what you hear & the playability is there, it'll be a worthwhile purchase. At the given price point, you can hardly go wrong.

Archived