Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson T Top pick ups

jonreedsoula1

Hello everyone. I just bought a 1979 Gibson Les Paul deluxe, routed for full size pick ups, it's an amazing guitar and is fitted out with Gibson T top pick ups, these have to be the best pick ups I've ever used, better than some Seymour Duncan JB59's I have in another guitar, the only issue is they are bare pickups without chrome covers and I like the look of chrome pickups. Does anyone have any experience of putting covers on these? Do I need to buy genuine Gibson covers?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello everyone. I just bought a 1979 Gibson Les Paul deluxe, routed for full size pick ups, it's an amazing guitar and is fitted out with Gibson T top pick ups, these have to be the best pick ups I've ever used, better than some Seymour Duncan JB59's I have in another guitar, the only issue is they are bare pickups without chrome covers and I like the look of chrome pickups. Does anyone have any experience of putting covers on these? Do I need to buy genuine Gibson covers?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I put genuine Gibson covers on mine. I believe these pups have the same spacing at the neck and bridge. I believe i used the neck covers as I have a bridge cover new in the package left over (i bought three covers in total).

Before:

8544408444_a141b28768_z.jpg

After:

8583857946_472b98e3e6_z.jpg

I recently put some covers on a pair of pups. It's not too difficult, but...

They were a snug fit, and in the process of putting one on, I believe I moved the hot wire in a way that it would short out as the cover was pushed home. It was an easy fix, but took a while to discover what fix was needed, because you can't see what's going on under the cover as it's going on.

That, and I had to borrow a higher powered iron to do the solder joins.

Archived