Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Gibson J-50 has arrived

twalker

Just came the other day. What attracted me to this gal was her 1 3/4" nut width which for a fingerpicker like me is puuurrrrfect. She has ALL the right tones for me... big bottom, powerful mids and clear highs.

5913266_orig.jpg

2678011_orig.jpg

7856633_orig.jpg

4612698_orig.jpg

Aaah, just what I thought - that yellowish color was the just the photo.

Congrats Toby! I love the sound of mid-1950s Gibsons. My favorite Gibson for many, many years was a 1956 SJ. To my ear these guitars sound really punchy but do tend to give up a bit on the low end compared to the earlier guitars. I think I said this on the other forum though but I have never seen a any 1950s Gibson with a 1 3/4" nut. The last year Gibson provided guitars with a 1 3/4" nut was 1946. Do you think the nut is a replacement with a slightly more generous string spacing than the stock one?

I once tried to have a nut with a wider string spacing put on my pre-Gibson Epi. It brought both E strings very close to the edge of the board though and the additional space between the strings was really not near as noticeable as I hoped it would be. So I ended up going back to the stock string spacing.

My '57 had the wide nut too. I never thought twice; never questioned it's authenticity, but I recall it was the easiest on the fret hand I'd ever experienced. Only my current favorite, the '35 L00 I bought from Robert Johnson, is easier. Umm...it's this Robert Johnson, though. www.reverbnation.com/robertjohnson

I see Toby has some sound samples up. As soon as I get over missing my J, I'll check it out.

Archived