Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Good Lookin' and other fingerpickin things on a '56 Gibson J-50

twalker

Just scored this guitar and having a ball with her.

3 tunes:

'Swing Bean' - an original

'Hey Good Looking' - my arrangement of the Hank Williams classic

'Toby's Boogie Woogie' - my original attempt and trying to imitate the great boogie woogie piano players.. namely Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons. Oh, can't leave out Honey Piazza.

Listening to those tunes is just what the doctor ordered on a dreary rainy morning stuck in the house with the kids and a dog who has to bark at every clap of thunder. Every time I listen to you I swear it sends me straight back to school.

Funny but I have been putzing around with Jorma's take on "Know You Rider" so have been watching some vids of him playing that tune on his J-50 (which after seeing him back in the day with the Airplane or Hot Tuna is the guitar I will always associate him with).

I am fortunate to know Toby for several years. My skills are probably less than half of the average guy or gal on this forum from what I've seen posted, yet when I get to jam with Toby, I feel like I'm actually good! He has the ability to bring people up rather than put them down. That's why he is such a good teacher.

If you ever get a chance to see him in person, do not miss it. The music is great, but the whole show is better.

Rich

Followed that link to YouTube and listened. Awesome playing, of course, but I also listened to the Swing Bean video you made on the 44 LG-2 Banner. One question: That LG-2 is a re-issue, yes? Too clean for vintage. And one answer: Nice as that LG sounds, your thumb deserves the big bottom of the slope. Man. Wish I could do that! :)

P

Archived