Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cliffenstein

Best NON-Masterbilt Epiphone Acoustic?

I'll have to second the EL-00, although I will expand it to include the EL-00 Pro as well as the original EL-OO. I first fell for the original EL-OO when it came out and ranked it better sounding and playing than my 1965 Gibson LG1, but with basically the same Gibson mid 60s neck short-scale neck. Then, I couldn't find one for a number years and when the EL-OO Pro came out, I was a bit hesitant worried they ruined the EL-OO. But, I found they didn't at all. They just made the neck or the nut ever so slightly wider, in a very favorable way...and otherwise it plays equally as great and sounds equally as good. I did change the Pro's artificial bone saddle to an authentic bone saddle. And, I never use the pickup, but keep in in there for a backup for the Fishman Humbucker Soundhole pickup I put on (with the cord hanging out of the soundhoke) if I gig with the guitar, which I've done. I traded a 1963 EKO that I never played for my EL-OO Pro. (I had paid $125 for EKO years ago.). My EL-OO Pro is one of my favorite guitars in my collection that includes a Gibson 1964 CS J-45, a '1965 Gibdon LG1, a 1965 Gibson ES125tc, a 72 Gibson SJD, a 1956 Epiphone FT79 (pre-Texan), a 1936 Epiphone Zenith. etc etc.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I just pulled out my Lennon EJ160E and plugged her in. Man, this is a workin' guitar! (especially after you take the plastic off the pickguard. [blush]

ej2.jpg

I just pulled out my Lennon EJ160E and plugged her in. Man, this is a workin' guitar! (especially after you take the plastic off the pickguard. [blush]

LOL. Glad I'm not the only one [biggrin] . About 6 months after I bought my first Masterbilt I started to wonder why my pickguard was bubbling up, and even more embarrassing was the fact it took a couple of days to work out that there was a plastic film there! [confused]