Gibson Brands Forums

Is Buckethead a novelty act?

RudyH

I saw a picture that made me laugh. There's a guitarist called Buckethead who wears a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket as a hat, and wears a white mask that seems like it would be difficult to breathe and see through. Is he a novelty act, or is he a talented musician affecting a novel stage persona? I've seen some strange things related to branding and recognition in music, but this is the strangest.

(Another strange one I've seen actually made a lot of sense 30 years ago when Angus Young established a recognizable presence with his schoolboy outfits. Today, now that he's in his 50's, he looks like a dangerous pervert.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen videos of Buckethead and while I really don't like virtuoso's he is a talented guitar player. I've always felt that there's more to any instrument than just shredding at lightning speed. I would rather listen to a Neil Young guitar solo than anything by Joe Satriani or Steve Vai anyday. Soul before shred.

On the other hand Buckethead did write the theme song to The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers so that gives him some credit in my book.

First off, NEVER compare Angus to Buckethead. That's blasphemy.

Buckethead has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, but is more about sound effects and a few wheedly-deedly flashes here and there instead of real songs, real taste or real integrity. He's kinda' the guy who screwed around trying to play fast and learn all his modes and scales but only very loosely learning ANY application of said skills within the context of a song...but unlike "that guy" you knew from school, Buckethead never grew up and either started trying to write good music or quit playing altogether out of frustration in finding "perfection".

I personally think 'Head fancies himself a pioneer a la Hendrix or Zappa, and that's simply not the case. I find his stuff incredibly irritating and hard to listen to. Plus I don't know what the hell he's running his guitar through, but his tone grates me.

Guys like Angus, on the other hand (insane aging schoolboy look and all) know how to apply their tone and their notes, and let's face it: he has written or co-written some of THE best hard-rock songs ever. Buckethead's known for being the musical equivalent of the faked grey aliens from those Roswell crash evidence file reenactments: takes a mysterious and funky picture, but it's nothing but costumes and lighting. =P~

Don't waste your time. There are cooler gimmick acts out there that actually write good songs.

H-Bomb

• 1 month later...
First off' date=' NEVER compare Angus to Buckethead. That's blasphemy.

Buckethead has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, but is more about sound effects and a few wheedly-deedly flashes here and there instead of real songs, real taste or real integrity. He's kinda' the guy who screwed around trying to play fast and learn all his modes and scales but only very loosely learning ANY application of said skills within the context of a song...but unlike "that guy" you knew from school, Buckethead never grew up and either started trying to write good music or quit playing altogether out of frustration in finding "perfection".

I personally think 'Head fancies himself a pioneer a la Hendrix or Zappa, and that's simply not the case. I find his stuff incredibly irritating and hard to listen to. Plus I don't know what the hell he's running his guitar through, but his tone grates me.

Guys like Angus, on the other hand (insane aging schoolboy look and all) know how to apply their tone and their notes, and let's face it: he has written or co-written some of THE best hard-rock songs ever. Buckethead's known for being the musical equivalent of the faked grey aliens from those Roswell crash evidence file reenactments: takes a mysterious and funky picture, but it's nothing but costumes and lighting. :)

Don't waste your time. There are cooler gimmick acts out there that actually write good songs.

H-Bomb[/quote']

This is the biggest load of wank I've read for quite some time. Don't talk about that which you obviously have no idea. Your ignorance is embarrassing.

To the OP: look him up on youtube and find out for yourself.

Buckethead or Slash' date=' hmm, let me see?

SLASH![/quote']

Apples and oranges. As much as I love Slash and would have never picked up a guitar if it wasn't for him, Bucket is clearly the better musician. If you weren't biased and actually listened to some of his music, you would realise it too.

Slash only knows blues based rock, and he does it very, very well. Bucket can play anything and everything.

Fact is, Bucket is not a novelty act.

Your an idoit...#-o

When you've grown up and want to have an adult conversation, I'll consider your argument.

Archived