Gibson Brands Forums

Min-E-Tune Tuning Stability

Bradmeister

Hi, Folks. I purchased a 50s Tribute late last year, and it came with a Min-E-Tune tuner. Overall, it works well. However, I don't get the tuning stability I'm accustomed to on my other Les Paul and LP copy. I have to re-tune every 2 or three songs. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for correcting it?

Thanks,

Brad

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi, Folks. I purchased a 50s Tribute late last year, and it came with a Min-E-Tune tuner. Overall, it works well. However, I don't get the tuning stability I'm accustomed to on my other Les Paul and LP copy. I have to re-tune every 2 or three songs. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for correcting it?

Thanks,

Brad

Lube the nut by "scribbling" some pencil lead (graphite) in to the slots. Failing that take the tuning thing off and fit manual tuners. If you can hear it going out then you can presumably tune by ear?

Thanks,

Brad

Don't own a Min-E-Tune guitar but here's about mine.

After a short warm-up and final tuning, I can play my Floyd Rose guitars on and on. All of my hardtails call for refinements after severe bendings.

The TP-6 units on all of my Gibsons allowing for mounting them permit retuning during playing which makes it all a lot easier. However, I always choose my guitars carefully for certain songs.

Just one more thing to check if you are tuning every couple of songs...make sure your strings are installed properly. Sounds like they could be slipping.

Good point, Bill. I'm assuming they were installed correctly, since I just got it back from repair (the high-E tuning peg wasn't working properly after the first time I changed strings).

I'll try lubing the nut, too. I haven't done that on this guitar yet.

In my case it was because the strings were new and still had some "stretch" to give. Once they settled it has been as stable as any other tuning knobs I have on other guitars. Mileage may vary though, sometimes I can hear a beat and I have to "train" it to recognize the correct frequency by turning it off and turning it back on again. This usually happens when it's been in the case for a few days.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/114103-hi/

Even with min-e-tune, you must have to stretch the strings a few times to get them stable, right?

Yes, because the strings are new. It doesn't matter what tuning pegs are involved. I think the Min-E-tune makes it easier, but that's just me because in the end a tuning peg is a tuning peg is a tuning peg and new strings will always need to settle in.

Right, right, I dont want to stop progress bro I just want to know why they are force feeding tech to vintage lovers... A 50s tribute should not have a robo tuner any more than a 57 chevy should have a fuel injection or GPS in it.

My Classic for instance had a battery powered booster? I dont remember any of my Classic Les Pauls having those in them. Why dont we put all the tech in the modern stuff and leave the vintage stuff vintage spec?

Seems about right to me...

As I understand it, every model that comes with a Min-E-Tune is also available without one, unless that's a recent change. And, how old does something have to be before it's officially vintage? Nothing purchased within the past 15 years can be considered vintage regardless of the specs.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point, Bill. I'm assuming they were installed correctly, since I just got it back from repair (the high-E tuning peg wasn't working properly after the first time I changed strings).

I'll try lubing the nut, too. I haven't done that on this guitar yet.

I'm assuming the neck relief and intonation is set up for your string gauge and everything with the bridge is alright? Mate of mine had a copy LP, which had a bridge that moved a lot due to the screw bushings being the incorrect size.

Archived