Gibson Brands Forums

Daily maintenance?

RudyH

After you're done playing each day, what do you do to your guitar? I wipe it with a Fender cloth, rub the strings with Fastfret and wipe off any excess, then put the guitar on its guitar stand and cover it with a towel to keep the dust off.

Every week I treat the Fender cloth with a few spritzes of Dunlop 65 guitar cleaner.

My reason for doing these things is to minimize the corrosive effects of salts from my hands, and keep the strings and finish in good condition.

I also have a Gibson with a nitro finish. Is there something special I should be doing for the nitro and the nickel plating?

Just wipe it down after playing. Wipe the strings, neck and top but for gosh sakes get rid of the fender cloth and get a micro fiber type cloth. Unless you like putting scratches in the finish ...

Seems to me that fast fret everyday would seriously gunk up the strings and not to mention the fretboard. Do anyone really need that stuff?

For general cleaning the Dunlops is fine and for the nickle plated parts you'll need to find a cleaner formulated for that type of metal (can find it everywhere). Just be careful not to get ANY of it on the wood.

I use Fastfret daily. It doesn't seem to gunk anything up. You wipe it on and wipe it off. It seems to be an effective cleaner, and my strings do seem to last a while and don't hurt as much when I do slides with my fingertips. I don't know if it's necessary, but I do like it. I think it's just perfumed mineral oil on a clever applicator.

I just stick it back in the case but I'm a slob.

When I do polish it, I use a piece of an old t-shirt; those microfiber cloths feel weird and I don't think they do as good of a job as a piece of cotton cloth that has been softened up by being sent through the washer and dryer hundreds of time.

When I first got her I cleaned her all the time--which I think is a mistake. I only clean her once a month with Gibson pump polish and then once in a while use the Virtuoso polish and cleaner. Only clean the fret board during string changes.

But I am not gigging with her--so she stays pretty sweat free.

I use a guitar cleaning cloth to wipe off the strings - top and bottom, and maybe some obvious fingerprints if I notice them.

FingerEase helps the back of the neck feel for me from getting that nitro sticky feel, maybe once a week. I also put a little FingerEase where my arm wants to "haze" the lacquer on the front of the guitar. Seems to help keep it clear.

I've followed this routine for 30 years...After I play, I put the guitar back on the hanger or stand. Sometimes I wipe off the strings, neck, body and metal parts. If I've worked up a good sweat, I wipe it all down. I use a flannel cloth made from tearing up an old flannel shirt. About 1 or 2 times a year I clean the body with martin pump polish.

My guitars don't have any pitting or corrosion of the metal parts, no damage to the finish, no problems.

I generally just do a quick dry wipedown (making sure to run the cloth over and under the strings to avoid buildup/rust) after practicing either alone or with the band, and after shows I include a pump-polishing and taking some of those alcohol swabs (like they use on you before you get an injection) on each string, much to my wife's chagrin as it sounds like scratching a chalkboard...lol

H-Bomb

Archived