Gibson Brands Forums

Underrated Hair Band Guitarist?

dbrian66

A few days ago while on the thread about the new Schecter guitars the conversation turned and went to the genre of hair bands. This is my favorite genre as it is what I grew up listening to. So I thought it might be cool to start a thread about the guitar players that never really get the credit they deserve. For me it's CC Deville. Always loved his style.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. As someone that came of age just in time to live the last few years of that genre's heyday, I'd rather forget it. The only guitarists from that era that I could hear today and not be gagged by their dated and tasteless style would be Jon E. Love, Tracii Guns (sometimes), and John Ricco*.

*although I wouldn't really call Warrior Soul a hair band.

A few days ago while on the thread about the new Schecter guitars the conversation turned and went to the genre of hair bands. This is my favorite genre as it is what I grew up listening to. So I thought it might be cool to start a thread about the guitar players that never really get the credit they deserve. For me it's CC Deville. Always loved his style.

Not really my style, but I saw CC live at Donington a l-o-n-g time ago, and he was brilliant. [thumbup]

Of the bands now classified as "hair metal" I would say KIX guitarists Ronnie Younkins and Brian Forsythe, and also RATT's Warren D'Martini are my favorites. I liked the music of Cinderella but their "look" was a little much. Still they were really a blues/rock band and Tom Keifer, although not much of a shredder could play some tasty blues inspired licks.

I guess Van Halen might be considered a hair band but no one ever called Eddie underrated.

A lot of guys from that era can play the instrument, it is just too bad that that scene became a circus full of clowns.

It has become cool to bash all things hair metal and a lot of folks make blanket statements about the genre and even the decade forgetting that Thrash Metal was king in the 80's.

Like Saturn says Cinderella was a good band but their looks were so absolutely stupid. Tom Keifer just released his solo album and there is nothing hair metal about it, he also owns a bunch of cool vintage gear(including a '59 burst and countless vinateg Marshalls) he bought with the first Cinderella big paycheck he was just playing that hair metal character.

My favorite players from the 80's era were Warren DeMartini, George Lynch and Carlos Cavazo.

CC DeVille had pretty good licks, it is too bad he became a wreck and threw it all away.

Also, not hair metal but Steve Stevens playing for Billy Idol is an excellent player, I have one of his solo albums and it is great.

I wasn't too much into many of the "hair" bands of that time either. I was more into the harder metal. But, those times and that music were much more fun IMO than the angst ridden, shoe-gazer stuff that displaced it. The girls looked better too, than those heroin chic, thrift store clothes wearin chicks of the 90s. :-k

Some of my guitar faves from the period were the less "shreddy" ones... like

Faster Pu$$ycat and Junkyard...

YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Two of my all time favorites......wooooooohoooooooo

NHTom

A few of my favorites.......

Warren and Robin from Ratt

Big Traci Gunns fan here.

As mentioned above, I love Cinderella

Nuno for the whole shred meets funky thing

Steve Clark for sure.

I could go on and on as I love lots of the 80's hair bands, but as far as under rated..........

Harry K Cody from the band Shotgun Messiah. Awesome 80's shredder that I wish had more exposure.

and a cool instrumental.....

and by the way, the blond bass player "Tim Tim" is Tim Skold later with Marilyn Manson

NHTom

Of the bands now classified as "hair metal" I would say KIX guitarists Ronnie Younkins and Brian Forsythe,

That's funny you mentioned these guys Saturn. Everyone in Maryland knew them. I don't know how many times I saw them at Hammerjacks. Great live show. They still play shows around here from time to time.

Also - though not sure where underrated ends or begins - Vito Bratta was a beast in White Lion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOMD_-eXEmA

Vitto was amazing, sad thing is he retired to take care of his sick father. The solos he did for wait and when the children cry were outstanding, my girlfriend at the time loved wait, her fav rock song. Years after we broke up she died in a fire and every time i hear that song it reminds me of her.

Vitto is VERY underrated, hopefully someday he comes back to music.

It strikes me as odd how Jake E Lee is only now seeming to get some credit......I was never super into him, but damn good player who often got overlooked.

NHTom

Indeed - great stuff. Guitar and vocals were stellar in case of Badlands. [thumbup]

While not really the stereotypical 80's shredders, These guys (in my opinion) took what the NY Dolls had done and brought it into the 80's. They influenced a ton of bands and just had that blusy/groove thing like Faster P-Cat and Junkyard mentioned above.

One of my all time favorite bands.

NHTom

While not really the stereotypical 80's shredders, These guys (in my opinion) took what the NY Dolls had done and brought it into the 80's. They influenced a ton of bands and just had that blusy/groove thing like Faster P-Cat and Junkyard mentioned above... One of my all time favorite bands.

I concur. Great band - a lot of fun.

Also love their cover of "Up around the Bend" the Credence song.

Reb Beach. You can say his name without shame. Monster player. A bit of an 80s tone victim unfortunately. I think he plays with Whitesnake now as well.

Well yeah, now I can. I couldn't remember.

Tim Kelly of Slaughter. Forgot him. Shame on me.

rct

Hair Bands were one of those genres I kind'a made fun of. Some of my friends—high school and college—felt they deserved reverence. But for me and the majority of my friends, it represented lack of substance over music. Lots of tricks on the fretboard and flash.

However, I am sure some of those guys did, in fact, deserve some credit as talented guitarists. Had they been playing better music, I'd have paid more attention to them.

One guy my college roommate would always talk about was Jake E. Lee. That's all I've got to contribute! [laugh]

Archived