Gibson Brands Forums

Underrated Hair Band Guitarist?

dbrian66

What about Vinnie Vincent? Was on one kiss album during the "Tears are Falling" period and had at least one album with his own band Vinnie Vincent Invasion. Had Mark Slaughter singing for him. Had a pretty cool version of the Star Spangeled Banner if I remember correctly.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Nuno...

Yeah, I was going to nominate him but didn't for fear of the ridicule of all those saying;

"Extreme Weren't a Hair Band, you dumb Shmuck!"..........lol!

I love the guy's playing.

P.

While not really the stereotypical 80's shredders, These guys (in my opinion) took what the NY Dolls had done and brought it into the 80's. They influenced a ton of bands and just had that blusy/groove thing like Faster P-Cat and Junkyard mentioned above.

One of my all time favorite bands.

NHTom

Wasn't it their drummer that was killed in Vince Neil's car crash? I never got into these guys but I might have to stop by ebay and see if I can find some old CD's. Any albums better than others?

Dimebag Darrel - if you think about Pantera's three first releases, they were into Glam/Hair Metal scene.

He wasn't famous at that time. So I assume he was once an underrated guitarist.

I never cared about hair metal bands. They looked stupid and their music was totally disposable.

Although those guys really could play they were nothing but working pawns for music industry. They made some money, though.

Regards.

Wasn't it their drummer that was killed in Vince Neil's car crash? I never got into these guys but I might have to stop by ebay and see if I can find some old CD's. Any albums better than others?

It was indeed "Razzle" who was killed in the car wreck. Pretty much ended the band. As far as records go - their major label record "Two Steps From the Move" is probably their best known album and not a bad place to start. I like the early Finnish recordings as well though.

It was indeed "Razzle" who was killed in the car wreck. Pretty much ended the band. As far as records go - their major label record "Two Steps From the Move" is probably their best known album and not a bad place to start. I like the early Finnish recordings as well though.

Thanks

Ugh. As someone that came of age just in time to live the last few years of that genre's heyday, I'd rather forget it.

I came of age before the hairspray era.

So I watched it hatch. It was painfully amusing.

For me the 80s is a genre I'd rather forget.

But I digress.

The 80s has been discussed to death here several times.

Yes, Two Steps From the Move is a great one to start with.

I love "Self Destruction Blues" a bit darker and less polished than some of theirs

"Mystery City" is great

"Oriental Beat" and "Bankok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks" have some gems on them as well.

They have a live one "All Those Wasted Years"

Pretty much all of them in my opinion........lmao.

NHTom

Hello!

Steve Clark. Seems to be forgotten, and it makes me very sad.

Cheers... Bence

Yes, He NEVER gets credit. There is a very cool series of videos on youtube featuring Phil Collen talking about and answering questions about Steve. It is interesting to see how reverent and respectful of Steve he is. Since Phil often does overshadow Steve, it's cool to see that he "gets it".

NHTom

Reb Beach. You can say his name without shame. Monster player. A bit of an 80s tone victim unfortunately. I think he plays with Whitesnake now as well.

A few years back, I went to a show with Slaughter, Dokken, Cinderella, and Poison.

I was wondering what Dokken was going to do since George would not be with them and they had Reb Beach play......wow.....very impressed. I had seen him years earlier with Winger and was impressed, but to see him play with Dokken was cool too. Great player.

NHTom

Did I miss something during 80's, the hair band period ?

At the winding down of the Southern Rock phase / craze,I began listening / attending shows of Funk,Soul, R & B again.

Earth,Wind & Fire,Commodores,Heatwave,Gap band,Con Funk Shun, Isley Bros.,Kool & the gang,Eddie Kendricks,Bar-Kays,Curtis Mayfield,Buddy Miles,Tower of Power..Those cats had some hair,George Clinton jeez..

Was / Is Jimi's various bands are they considered "Hair" Bands? Or 20 years too early perhaps?

If So I vote for Jimi anyway.[thumbup] Never saw the man live unfortunately.

SRV did a great job channeling the Brother tho.

X

ps.I shall watch some of the videos of stuff I "missed" everbody..

Did I miss something during 80's, the hair band period ?

At the winding down of the Southern Rock phase / craze,I began listening / attending shows of Funk,Soul, R & B again.

Earth,Wind & Fire,Commodores,Heatwave,Gap band,Con Funk Shun, Isley Bros.,Kool & the gang,Eddie Kendricks,Bar-Kays,Curtis Mayfield,Buddy Miles,Tower of Power..Those cats had some hair,George Clinton jeez..

Was / Is Jimi's various bands are they considered "Hair" Bands? Or 20 years too early perhaps?

If So I vote for Jimi anyway.[thumbup] Never saw the man live unfortunately.

SRV did a great job channeling the Brother tho.

X

ps.I shall watch some of the videos of stuff I "missed" everbody..

Here, while you're at it check out some KIX for dbrian66 (OP) and I. Yeah it's silly and there's not much substance, but it RAWKS! B) Plus, unlike a lot of the other "hair" bands who had that whinny, thin guitar tone, these guys had some muscle in their tone. I can see those Marshal stacks even though there's no photos... [thumbup]

Here, while you're at it check out some KIX for dbrian66 (OP) and I. Yeah it's silly and there's not much substance, but it RAWKS! B) Plus, unlike a lot of the other "hair" bands who had that whinny, thin guitar tone, these guys had some muscle in their tone. I can see those Marshal stacks even though there's no photos... [thumbup]

This is kix live. Just a great band to see in person

I remember being a kid of like 16-17 years old and seeing this video.......thought Traci was sooooooo cool running around with that mockingbird. They seemed to have their own take on the hair metal look.......the darker "Hollywood vampire" thing.

It was right around the time of this album that I ran out and bought my pink snakeskin BC Rich.......lol.

These days I wish Traci would do more music and less talking, but back in the day he was all that.

NHTom

I remember being a kid of like 16-17 years old and seeing this video.......thought Traci was sooooooo cool running around with that mockingbird. They seemed to have their own take on the hair metal look.......the darker "Hollywood vampire" thing.

It was right around the time of this album that I ran out and bought my pink snakeskin BC Rich.......lol.

These days I wish Traci would do more music and less talking, but back in the day he was all that.

NHTom

This is fun seeing all these old videos. L A Guns def one of my favorites.

I came of age before the hairspray era.

So I watched it hatch. It was painfully amusing.

For me the 80s is a genre I'd rather forget.

But I digress.

The 80s has been discussed to death here several times.

The 80s were hit or miss, but some great things came out of that decade; specifically college rock and the whole independent record label movement.

Bruce Kulick. Very surprised nobody has mentioned him, yet.

Very good guitar player. He is def underated but I don't think many people consider him "hair band" because he was in Kiss. They for some reason get a pass. LOL

John Sykes

Well I'm adding him because he's still one of my favorite guitar players and although i dont think all his bands were hair metal Whitesnake definatly was. Before Whitesnake Thin Lizzy wasnt hair metal and after Blue murder wasnt either but the Whitesnake gig was.Actually I dont think he gets enough credit in any type of music and never seems to get mentioned here.

Nigel Tufnel

Turned from a folk band in the 60's with songs like "flower people" to the mega huge hair band Spinal Tap.No one can match his song writing word craft and his solos are so amazing you cant believe what he's actually playing.Jimmy Page may have thought of using a violin bow on his guitar strings but only Nigel could have thought of playing a guitar using a whole violin,just to extreme way ahead of his time. [rolleyes]

Wow FZ Fan I see we agree on Nigel :rolleyes: ,I bet if it was all quiet and you just listened real hard you could still hear the sustain from his 59 LP or you would if he was playing it. I really saw The band Spinal Tap in an outdoor concert in CT,over 20 years ago when the (not as popular)2nd movie came out.It was pretty funny when the 3 guys were lowered down on wires and the bass player Derek StHolmes got stuck about 2 feet off the floor so they tried to put a milk crate under his feet he finally came down as the song ended.The opening act was really puppets!

Archived