Gibson Brands Forums

News about Guild

MR GIBS

I own a Ren era J-50 and because of that instrument I got a Ren era Guild. Ren brings to Guild a wealth of knowledge and experience and he gives Guild a dimension I don't think the brand has ever had (to my knowledge). This is not to slight earlier Guilds and the Guild tone and vibe in the least(every Friday I get to play across from a killer fingerstyle guy and he frequently plays an old D25). But I believe that Ren brings the combination of vintage insight with a powerfull modern tone and playability that, if he is given enough room to move, will be appreciated by a lot of guitar players. But, God, think of the struggle in this market and how much patience will have to be exhibited by the money to make it all fly. I just hope that can happen with this move West.

This is not to slight earlier Guilds and the Guild tone and vibe in the least(every Friday I get to play across from a killer fingerstyle guy and he frequently plays an old D25). But I believe that Ren brings the combination of vintage insight with a powerfull modern tone and playability that, if he is given enough room to move, will be appreciated by a lot of guitar players.

I have owned two D-25s - a spruce top flat back and a spruce top arch back model which I always throught was the best D-25 made. Too bad they were just a a transitional model and were made only a very short time.

The thing about Guild is while the Fender and Ren-designed models have little in common with the guitars Dronge put out, both old school and new school Guild tone are fantastic. Yo can't lose going either way. What was so darn frustrating about older Guilds though is the necks and nut width. Depending on the era they could be somewhat less than generous. Last year a friend offered to sell me his Hoboken-built early 1960s Guild F-20 at what would have been a deal of the century kinda price. I really liked the sound but could not come to terms with the skinny neck and 1 5/8" nut.

1405531444[/url]' post='1541634']

One of my dream guitars is to someday have a 1980s d-212 12string guild, i played a black one back in 83 and it sounded so incredible. Someday...

I have never played a Guild 12 string, but I have at home a Guild D55! This is one of the finest dreds on this planet... Man, this instrument ROCKS! It has been build 13.11.2013 .

I have never played a Guild 12 string, but I have at home a Guild D55! This is one of the finest dreds on this planet... Man, this instrument ROCKS! It has been build 13.11.2013 .

Congrats on the D55. I have to agree with you, it is a great guitar. Is yours natural finish, or sunburst?

Both are gorgeous, & I would be happy to own either!

Pic?

31012014100_zps7dd53ea5.jpg

31012014107_zpse0b27db9.jpg

31012014103_zps3570a990.jpg

31012014101_zpse7fc9142.jpg

Nice instrument Krassi .

I stopped by the guild booth at NAMM this year and spoke to Ren for awhile.

He told me that guild was losing money with ever guitar they were building because of some debt .

Hopefully after cutting ties with FMIC they get the support they need.

I played a 12 string maple jumbo and was a fine guitar.

They also had various beautiful Doyle Dykes signature models with beautiful quilted maple and rosewood versions.

I am sure the new guilds with be great.

JC

2 years ago I didn't own a Guild guitar. I had the pleasure of attending three "Let's Meet Guild" events in New Hartford and after meeting the incredible staff and watching them build really awesome guitars, I now own 4, including a D-55 (as well as a F-212 12 string, a D-30 and a D-47 RC). I agree that D-55 is the best sounding instrument I've ever played, although the D-30 gives it a run for the money. I understand that none of the other Guild employees agreed to journey to Oxnard. I wish them well. They were true craftsmen. From everything I've herd out of Cordoba, I have every confidence that they will carry forward the legacy.

I agree that D-55 is the best sounding instrument I've ever played

Just played about one hour on my MR GUILD (D55) - man......

If guitars were pianos THIS ONE would be a Grand Piano...

I admire my Guild D55....

Pitty for the workers in New Hartford...

I agree - they were skilled craftsmen and really nice people, too.

I am seriously thinking to buy a Guild F-412 12 string these days...

You guys would call it a GAS attack, but my diagnosis is NEED.

One of my dream guitars is to someday have a 1980s d-212 12string guild, i played a black one back in 83 and it sounded so incredible. Someday...

Keep looking. When you find one, you'll be rewarded with one of the finest 12 strings ever.

Took me three years to find mine.

Archived