Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Special Double Cut - why/which/who

Rick

Weel, I'm GAS-ing for a Special double cut, the one with two P90s and the stopbar + t.o.m. bridge...it seems hard to find one, informations about them, too.

So..

- Why are they so hard to find?

- Which models have been made through the years? Differences?

- Who owns one?

They seem harder to find than the single cut version..

I have one and its amazing...

The reason they are so hard to find is that they are amazing guitars and Gibson don't do many runs of them... Mine is from 2005 and is one of the Faded ones... I think they did another in 2009.. and theres the VOS one

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1960-Les-Paul-Special-Double-VOS.aspx

As you can see these go back to 1960 so not a new thing.. The next run (and im sure there will be one) you gotta grab one :)

Heres mine

IMG_0199_zpse29c33c4.jpg

Had the same problem when I was looking for a Junior with the wraparound tail-piece & single P90. Boat loads of single-cuts with tobacco bursts, but I wanted a double-cut in cherry or TV yellow...and I did NOT want the Billie Joe Armstrong model (don't remember if that was even a P90).

Waited 3 years till I found what I wanted at a price that wasn't absurd (ended up with a used TV yellow double-cut in almost new condition. Dropped a Lollar P90 in there and the thing just smokes).

Good things do indeed come to those who wait...but ya gotta be ready to pull the trigger when they show up!

I prefer the cherry and the tv yellow ones, "standard" runs (no signatures or strange models), non-faded painting, possibly with neck binding.

I remember that there are/were some CS models and some USA models..am I right? I saw some black, some cherry, some tv yellow, gloss-painted DCs here in the forum

Are the CS one really better sounding rather than the USA ones? (It seems an "easy" guitar to be built..)

I'm kinda jonesing for a double-cut Junior with a single P90...

They seem even harder to find...

I like the Cherry or the TV Yellow colors and would find one hard to pass-up!

LPJJDGYCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

LPJJDCHCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

I also prefer a bound neck if they even make them that way I just don't know...

I want one for a slide axe...

- Which models have been made through the years? Differences?...

Firstly, not so much for the OP, but just some clarification in case there's any confusion about the differences between Juniors, TVs and Specials.

The original single p'up guitar in sunburst or cherry was a Junior. The same guitar in TV Yellow was a TV.

The 2-p'up versions, regardless of colour, were always known as Specials.

Unfortunately Gibson have, to a certain extent, muddied these once crystal-clear waters in the ensuing years...

The first R-I of the single-cut ('55) Special came out as far back as 1974.

The first R-I of the "1958" style came out in 1976. These had the ABR-1 and Stop-Tail configuration, a bound neck and were available in Sunburst, Cherry and TV Yellow.

Since then there have been sporadic offerings of varying specs.

The modern Re-Issues will almost certainly have a McCarty (wrap-over) bridge as per the original instruments.

If you want a separate ABR-1 (or Nashville) and Stop-Tail you should look at the regular USA range.

There has been a number of runs available over the years with varying specs. You will have to check these out on an individual basis, I'm afraid.

FWIW;

A couple of years ago someone was here asking a similar question about single-cut Specials.

At that time the Gibson USA line were offering two versions with slightly different specs and the CS was offering the R-I.

In addition to these there was also an Epi version in TV Yellow.

I think that the double-cut was offered in a similar number of configurations.

P.

Check out ebay, there are a few non vintage ones up there right now.

This one is a faded series without binding, but if it goes for the price it's at now it may be worth picking up and having it refinished.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d20b57a5e

I too love this model and have wanted one for a very long time. TV yellow is my preference.

but if you keep and eye on ebay you do see them pop up pretty often. I have a regular search setup for les paul special, and then I weed through all the single cuts.

there are usually a few non vintage ones up there at any given time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-2005-Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cutaway-USA-Made-Serial-031451334-/191241486716?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c86e1817c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-USA-Special-DC-Double-Cutaway-TV-Electric-Guitar-L-K-/360914781531?pt=Guitar&hash=item540832855b

Unfortunately these are all unbound necks.

This one is a faded series without binding, but if it goes for the price it's at now it may be worth picking up and having it refinished.

I too love this model and have wanted one for a very long time. TV yellow is my preference.

but if you keep and eye on ebay you do see them pop up pretty often. I have a regular search setup for les paul special, and then I weed through all the single cuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-2005-Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cutaway-USA-Made-Serial-031451334-/191241486716?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c86e1817c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-USA-Special-DC-Double-Cutaway-TV-Electric-Guitar-L-K-/360914781531?pt=Guitar&hash=item540832855b

Man if you want some bling on your double cut.. check out the new DC Classic that's coming soon. You could always stick some humbucker sized P90s in there.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_les_paul_classic_double_cutaway_translucent_red.asp?gclid=CP6h2qSyyr8CFenItAodnR8AgA

GIBLPCDCTRCH1b_zpse32a49f4.jpg

Also as for juniors or specials with binding.. I cant remember a DC Special with binding BUT a short while back they released some nice junior specials with neck binding at an amazing price.. And they were release in gloss and faded finishes and with P90s and Humbuckers.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Humbucker.aspx

I mean, really for the price I don't think it gets much better than that. (but obviously no double cutaway).

Firstly, not so much for the OP, but just some clarification in case there's any confusion about the differences between Juniors, TVs and Specials.

The original single p'up guitar in sunburst or cherry was a Junior. The same guitar in TV Yellow was a TV.

The 2-p'up versions, regardless of colour, were always known as Specials.

Unfortunately Gibson have, to a certain extent, muddied these once crystal-clear waters in the ensuing years...

The first R-I of the single-cut ('55) Special came out as far back as 1974.

The first R-I of the "1958" style came out in 1976. These had the ABR-1 and Stop-Tail configuration, a bound neck and were available in Sunburst, Cherry and TV Yellow.

Since then there have been sporadic offerings of varying specs.

The modern Re-Issues will almost certainly have a McCarty (wrap-over) bridge as per the original instruments.

If you want a separate ABR-1 (or Nashville) and Stop-Tail you should look at the regular USA range.

There has been a number of runs available over the years with varying specs. You will have to check these out on an individual basis, I'm afraid.

FWIW;

A couple of years ago someone was here asking a similar question about single-cut Specials.

At that time the Gibson USA line were offering two versions with slightly different specs and the CS was offering the R-I.

In addition to these there was also an Epi version in TV Yellow.

I think that the double-cut was offered in a similar number of configurations.

P.

Thanks Sir [smile]

So, I do like the SPECIAL. All in all, the faded version could be a good buy, though. Also the McCarty/stopbar could be fine, but, if I'll buy one, i won't spend more than 700 € (950$ ca.)

The single cut really disappoints me..I can't look at a single cut LP without regarding to the Standard, or the Custom. Don't like supremes, studios, florentines etc.

I saw this one:

3657481_1404039120.jpg

Can't understand from the pic if it's a faded or a gloss one. The seller asks 900€ (1220 $): I personally think that he's a fat, lazy bastard..I'd pay it 600€ (810$), not 900.

1300$ (960€) for a faded USA is a bargain.

Each to their own, of course, but there are really nice single cutaway Specials. Here's mine with the gloss finish and ebony fretboard:

lp002_zpsc4bbf54e.jpg

Another really nice single cutaway is this model:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f397700bb

The P100s in it really bite but I believe it's no big deal to switch them to P90 configuration.

As an aside, I thought that my old SG Classic with the P90s sounded the best. I guess that there is no such thing as the perfect guitar!

1405533221[/url]' post='1541645']

Man if you want some bling on your double cut.. check out the new DC Classic that's coming soon. You could always stick some humbucker sized P90s in there.

http://www.richtonem...CFenItAodnR8AgA

GIBLPCDCTRCH1b_zpse32a49f4.jpg

Also as for juniors or specials with binding.. I cant remember a DC Special with binding BUT a short while back they released some nice junior specials with neck binding at an amazing price.. And they were release in gloss and faded finishes and with P90s and Humbuckers.

http://www2.gibson.c...pecial-P90.aspx

http://www2.gibson.c...-Humbucker.aspx

I mean, really for the price I don't think it gets much better than that. (but obviously no double cutaway).

Oh now you're killing me, I have wanted one of these for years!!!!

1405545996[/url]' post='1541716']

Thanks Sir [smile]

So, I do like the SPECIAL. All in all, the faded version could be a good buy, though. Also the McCarty/stopbar could be fine, but, if I'll buy one, i won't spend more than 700 € (950$ ca.)

The single cut really disappoints me..I can't look at a single cut LP without regarding to the Standard, or the Custom. Don't like supremes, studios, florentines etc.

I saw this one:

3657481_1404039120.jpg

Can't understand from the pic if it's a faded or a gloss one. The seller asks 900€ (1220 $): I personally think that he's a fat, lazy bastard..I'd pay it 600€ (810$), not 900.

1300$ (960€) for a faded USA is a bargain.

That looks like it may be a faded, but hard to tell from the pic.

Oh now you're killing me, I have wanted one of these for years!!!!

Same here.. I have the special, id love a DC Classic to go with my LP Classic :)

(wont be happening for me any time soon due to lack of fundings at the moment though, oh well, maybe the next run :))

...Also as for juniors or specials with binding.. I cant remember a DC Special with binding...

There isn't any problem finding a DC Special with a bound neck, Rabs.

The original Specials had bound necks and most versions issued since, apart from the faded series, have had bound necks as well.

The tricky bit these days is finding a DC Special with a bound neck and a Tune-o-Matic / Stop-Tail configuration.

There was a long-ish period (from '76 - '85) where the DC/S was a regular production model in this spec. and there seems to have been a large number produced in the mid '90s (approx '95-'98) like this, too, but nowadays the bound necks are usually the preserve of the R-I's which, of course, have the McCarty wrap-over bridge.

But, as has been said, occasionally the odd bound-neck edition has been issued in the T-o-M / Stop-Tail configuration; it's just trying to find one up for sale which is tricky - owners tend to hang on to them!

Each to their own, of course, but there are really nice single cutaway Specials. Here's mine with the gloss finish and ebony fretboard...

At the risk of going off-topic (how unlike me...lol!) I agree.

A while back I had the pleasure to have a blast with this lovely old girl - "7 2517";

Lo-res57Special_zps3b12ef47.jpg

I do like the DCs but I suppose I feel more 'at home' with the '55-'57 style because the selector switch is in the 'correct' place...

P.

The original Specials had bound necks and most versions issued since, apart from the faded series, have had bound necks as well.

The tricky bit these days is finding a DC Special with a bound neck and a Tune-o-Matic / Stop-Tail configuration.

There was a long-ish period (from '76 - '85) where the DC/S was a regular production model in this spec. and there seems to have been a large number produced in the mid '90s (approx '95-'98) like this, too, but nowadays the bound necks are usually the preserve of the R-I's which, of course, have the McCarty wrap-over bridge.

But, as has been said, occasionally the odd bound-neck edition has been issued in the T-o-M / Stop-Tail configuration; it's just trying to find one up for sale which is tricky - owners tend to hang on to them!

At the risk of going off-topic (how unlike me...lol!) I agree.

A while back I had the pleasure to have a blast with this lovely old girl - "7 2517";

Lo-res57Special_zps3b12ef47.jpg

I do like the DCs but I suppose I feel more 'at home' with the '55-'57 style because the selector switch is in the 'correct' place...

P.

Well..I do understand: I can't get a "bounded" DC; not a CS thing; with the stop/tom bridge; spending a few money...without going crazy finding it! [laugh] If I'd be an owner, I won't sell it, too [sleep]

I don't wanna look to vintage/old guitars..don't mind if it's a 2005, a 1997 or a 2014, it has only to play and feel fine.

Probably, the DC feels more like an SG rather than a Les Paul, due to the switch position (and the doubled-horn look)..but I find it nicer [love] and the single cut looks to me too much like a "so cheap-Les Paul". Without saying that they don't play well, uh!

(the old battered tv yellow finish looks so sexy and attractive)

As enlightening as ever sir Pippy ... Cheers :)

And shows when I found out about DCs.. About 2006 :) which is why I haven't seen any newer bound ones... In saying that, as has been discussed at great lengths (in the nibs debate) to me if a neck is bound or not doesn't make any difference to how it plays so personally id rather pay less money cos they are a great price when available (the faded ones)...

As enlightening as ever sir Pippy ... Cheers :)

And shows when I found out about DCs.. About 2006 :) which is why I haven't seen any newer bound ones... In saying that, as has been discussed at great lengths (in the nibs debate) to me if a neck is bound or not doesn't make any difference to how it plays so personally id rather pay less money cos they are a great price when available (the faded ones)...

Well, you're right Rabs: the bounding's only an aesthetic touch. Consider that here, in Italy, guitar's business is almost 1/10 of what you have in the U.S.A., so it gets even harder to find a particular model, finish or feauture.

I find that the faded ones are too fragile (look at the TV yellow ones, the finish fade away pretty soon).

And thanks for the infos, Pippy [thumbup]

Well, you're right Rabs: the bounding's only an aesthetic touch. Consider that here, in Italy, guitar's business is almost 1/10 of what you have in the U.S.A., so it gets even harder to find a particular model, finish or feauture.

I find that the faded ones are too fragile (look at the TV yellow ones, the finish fade away pretty soon).

And thanks for the infos, Pippy [thumbup]

Well as you say, you can always add some of your own finish.. its not that hard.

That one I bought I actually got second hand and the guy who had it before (for some odd reason) sanded the top down.. When I got it I was compelled to re-finish it back to its cherry finish...

This is how I got it

gibson1.jpg

It put MANY layers of red tinted nitro on until the colour was right

gibson4.jpg

gibson5.jpg

gibson7.jpg

And as of yet (about 6 years) the finish hasn't worn at all.. even the original finish at the back is still fine.

gibson10.jpg

I think it depends on how hard you play and how often.. I don't play live any more and I have four gibbies to choose from so I guess it doesn't get as much use as some people. SO I say don't let the word faded bother you (its a poor description of the finish), yes its thinner than a standard LP but I love it, you can actually feel the wood under your hands.

Also, im in the UK.. We get a fairly good selection over here but nothing like they do in the states.

This is a beautiful thread.Some nice examples of dc here.

Wonderfully knowledgeable discussion everyone..

Got me rethinkin' that SG I had my eyes upon.

So many gorgeous babes,so little time.. er money.

TV yellow !

X

Well as you say, you can always add some of your own finish.. its not that hard.

That one I bought I actually got second hand and the guy who had it before (for some odd reason) sanded the top down.. When I got it I was compelled to re-finish it back to its cherry finish...

This is how I got it

-img-

It put MANY layers of red tinted nitro on until the colour was right

-img-

And as of yet (about 6 years) the finish hasn't worn at all.. even the original finish at the back is still fine.

-img-

I think it depends on how hard you play and how often.. I don't play live any more and I have four gibbies to choose from so I guess it doesn't get as much use as some people. SO I say don't let the word faded bother you (its a poor description of the finish), yes its thinner than a standard LP but I love it, you can actually feel the wood under your hands.

Also, im in the UK.. We get a fairly good selection over here but nothing like they do in the states.

Well, I actually play in a band, we started up tuning the instruments so we don't play live, now. I have a Les Paul and a Strat, that I play.

Eventually, would be possible to give a gloss coating on the faded finish?

I had a satin guitar, it had a nice-woody feeling.

This is a beautiful thread.Some nice examples of dc here.

Wonderfully knowledgeable discussion everyone..

Got me rethinkin' that SG I had my eyes upon.

So many gorgeous babes,so little time.. er money.

TV yellow !

X

Thanks for the appreciation [smile]

Well, I actually play in a band, we started up tuning the instruments so we don't play live, now. I have a Les Paul and a Strat, that I play.

Well yes if you can get hold of some nitrocellulose where you live.. There arnt many places that sell it.. Of course you could always use a different type of finish if you don't mind that.

And yes with the Faded, the word satin would be much more appropriate, that's how it feels. In many ways I actually prefer a satin or matt neck finish, feels great to play. And the neck profile on the Specials are well, Special :) Plays like butter.

Ohh and I just remembered I can show you good close ups of a brand new DC Special..

Basically when I was re-finishing the one above, I had at the time totally fallen in love with them.. I think this was in 2008/9 cant really remember now.. But I was so mad for them that I actually bought a second one brand new in case I totally mucked up the one I was working on (apparently the last one in the country of this run).. For a while I was going to keep it safe and sell it down the road (I sort of wish I had now).. But the one I worked on came out so well that I didn't need two and I just hated the idea of such an amazing guitar sitting there doing nothing so I sold it on.

This is the brand new one that I sold on..

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

So this is what a Faded model looks like new.

DSC01032.jpg

A couple years ago I was really Jonesing for a Les Paul Special. I really wanted the faded cherry finish, but would have settled for the TV yellow if I had to. The first music store I went into, there was the exact model I was looking for - just arrived. I bought it for $500 cash with a ripped gig bag. $40 for a new set of tuners and a hard case later and I'm really happy with it!

2008_08010014.JPG

Archived