Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Special Double Cut - why/which/who

Rick

A couple years ago I was really Jonesing for a Les Paul Special. I really wanted the faded cherry finish, but would have settled for the TV yellow if I had to. The first music store I went into, there was the exact model I was looking for - just arrived. I bought it for $500 cash with a ripped gig bag. $40 for a new set of tuners and a hard case later and I'm really happy with it!

That's a really nice guitar, dude.

Here in Italy, private sellers gone crazy - they ask around 1200 USD for a faded one, and 2150 USD for a used CS.

They're completely, fuc*ingly crazy. I hope their guitars will become burning chunks of woods.

I went to a big dealer today, he told me that Gibson does not produce no more Custom Shop Specials, nor USA ones. In 2012, a brand new DC Special CS costed 2285 USD (1690 euros).

I'll offer 400 euros for the faded I posted (541 USD), and 1000 euros (1352 USD) for a used CS one.

That's a really nica guitar, dude.

Here in Italy, private sellers gone crazy - they ask around 1200 USD for a faded model, and 2150USD for a used CS. They're completely, fuc*ingly crazy. I hope their guitars to became burning woods.

I went to a big dealer today, he told me that Gibson does not produce no more Custom Shop Specials, nor USA ones. In 2012, a brand new DC Special CS costed 2285 USD (1690 euros).

I'll offer 400 euros for the faded I posted (541 USD), and 1000 euros (1352 USD) for a used CS one.

Well let us know if you manage to get one... I cant imagine that youd not be happy with it.. The one I have, its one of the guitars that people always want to play when they come over...

You will see :)

Well let us know if you manage to get one... I cant imagine that youd not be happy with it.. The one I have, its one of the guitars that people always want to play when they come over...

You will see :)

I think I'd go for a faded one, because of the less money I should pay. I'm a student, and I don't have loads of money (it "gets away", but don't make me "buy a footbal team".. [lol] )...and, last but not least, I already own a 1958 Les Paul Reissue..

The CS looks really good, though..

post-3271-027614200 1405727490_thumb.jpg

Well, I come up with a news.

- I offered the seller's (the one that had on sale a 1960 LP DC Reissue, with some upgrades -I don't mind about them, and I wasn't looking for them- at 2300$), 1350$ (1000€) -considering that a very important seller put them at 2278$, NEW-.

He told me that I'm crazy and his guitar plays better than anyone else's DC reissue, [lol] (same old story, "every guitar sucks except the one I'm selling, mine's the best". But I think "if yours so great, why are you selling it?" [cool] )

So, this one... =;

I too have been gassing for a special dc.

In my area, first, there are not many around at all, and second, the ones that do show up get bought instantly.

Good luck, I'll be watching jealously

NHTom

My "Faded" LP Special (TV Yellow) is one of the "Liveliest" guitars (even unplugged)

that I own! Love It!!

DSC_0027.jpg

CB

By the way............this one KILLS me every time.......lol

NHTom

My "Faded" LP Special (TV Yellow) is one of the "Liveliest" guitars (even unplugged)

that I own! Love It!!

DSC_0027.jpg

CB

That photo is a little "bastard"..it makes the guitar look like gloss finished, and not faded [tongue]

In the whole Italy, it seems impossible to find some Double Cuts. The super dealer I mentioned previously told me that EVERY Double Cut/Special has been discontinued since 2012. The CS for sure, don't know the exact date for the USAs. (but, as pippy said, they've been kept as "backing model" while the other ones weren't already commercialized, or in transition-model period)

Used, here, I ablet to find only (and seldom) some cherry faded ones. It looks like I will have to look for one of them in the whole Europe, and, maybe, oversea.

So, keep the eyes open, NHTom... [flapper][biggrin]

"That photo is a little "Bastard"???" :rolleyes:[confused]

IF you play a "Faded" finish long enough, often enough,

it does take on a more "gloss" sheen. Certain cleaners

and polishes will speed up the process. But, it started

out, as a "Faded" and Matte finish, I assure you! [tongue]

CB

"That photo is a little "Bastard"???" :rolleyes:[confused]

IF you play a "Faded" finish long enough, often enough,

it does take on a more "gloss" sheen. Certain cleaners

and polishes will speed up the process. But, it started

out, as a "Faded" and Matte finish, I assure you! [tongue]

CB

Ops..sorry [biggrin] and sorry my mistakes.

Sometimes, in Italy, in slang speaking, we use the adjective "bastard" in order to mean something that looks like different from what it really is, something that cheats your eyes/senses.

I said "that photo is a little "Bastard" " because it's so well taken that brings a faded guitar to a glossy-looking guitar. Don't know if I explained it well... [huh] :lol:

Another example could be "damn, that colour's bastard..from this angle to another it changes tonality", meaning that a colour, depending by the angle it's seen, seems a colour or another (think to a candy red finish..it may look like a red, or pink, or even orange, depending on where you look at it)

It's very difficult for me to translate certain expressions because, in english, some of them don't even exist [wink]

Anyway, every used faded TV yellow Specials I saw were..."faded", with the yellow painting gone away, and white, lower stain visible..it's not nice :blink:

Sometimes, in Italy, in slang speaking, we use the adjective "bastard" in order to mean something that looks like different from what it really is, something that cheats your eyes/senses.

I said "that photo is a little "Bastard" " because it's so well taken that brings a faded guitar to a glossy-looking guitar. Don't know if I explained it well... [huh] :lol:

Another example could be "damn, that colour's bastard..from this angle to another it changes tonality", meaning that a colour, depending by the angle it's seen, seems a colour or another (think to a candy red finish..it may look like a red, or pink, or even orange, depending on where you look at it)

It's very difficult for me to translate certain expressions because, in english, some of them don't even exist [wink]

Anyway, every used faded TV yellow Specials I saw were..."faded", with the yellow painting gone away, and white, lower stain visible..it's not nice :blink:

Have you ever seen this guy on Youtube.. Gregs Guitars.. Hes done a load of demos of different models of DC Special

No Problem, Rick. Just clarifying the situation, on this end.[biggrin]

Sorry, that I'm not familiar with Italian "slang." [blush] I have

enough trouble with "American" slang, these days! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Have you ever seen this guy on Youtube.. Gregs Guitars.. Hes done a load of demos of different models of DC Special

Sure I did [thumbup]

No Problem, Rick. Just clarifying the situation, on this end.[biggrin]

Sorry, that I'm not familiar with Italian "slang." [blush] I have

enough trouble with "American" slang, these days! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

That's fine, no problem! I'm following the USA part of the forum also to improve my english [thumbup]

Let's talk about necks..which kind of neck do the USA and the CS versions have? 50s style, '60s slim taper..late '50s Les Paul neck..?

Sure I did [thumbup]

That's fine, no problem! I'm following the USA part of the forum also to improve my english [thumbup]

Let's talk about necks..which kind of neck do the USA and the CS versions have? 50s style, '60s slim taper..late '50s Les Paul neck..?

My "Faded" is a '60's neck profile. I think (Not Sure), that the VOS Custom Shop models are '50's

neck profiles. The 2 I've played, at my dealer's were, definitely!

The thing about neck profiles, is...they ALL vary a bit. Some are definitely 50's or '60's, but

some that may be designated either way, can be remarkably similar! So...best check them out, in

person, if possible.

CB

My "Faded" is a '60's neck profile. I think (Not Sure), that the VOS Custom Shop models are '50's

neck profiles. The 2 I've played, at my dealer's were, definitely!

The thing about neck profiles, is...they ALL vary a bit. Some are definitely 50's or '60's, but

some that may be designated either way, can be remarkably similar! So...best check them out, in

person, if possible.

CB

Yop, I don't have any problem in playing a '50s or a '60s because I have big hands, but I do prefer chunkier necks, not only for the better feel but especially for the tone..I think that it gives a woodier tone to the guitar :)

The CS Double Cut was listed as "1960 reissue"..I expected that it had a '60s slim neck! Maybe an owner could confirm... [thumbup]

Which model is this?

33mu5gi.jpg

It has Kluson tuners on (not the 3-in line, CS style, but the standard Klusons, 1959 Les Paul style -for example-)

EDIT: it's been made in 1996, if it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I come up with news :rolleyes:

The '96 Special I posted right over here isn't affordable enough: the seller wants at least 700€ (940 USD).

The guy who sells another CS Special (TV Yellow) asks 1500€ (2013 USD).

They're crazy, and I don't want to pay this money for a guitar that's worth the half of the price they ask.

So, I'm still searching..

Unfortunately, if I buy one in the US, the taxes and import fees would kill me (just to give an idea: I'll pay 450USD for a special, and 380USD for the fees).

[cursing]

• 1 year later...

So, I'm still searching..

Unfortunately, if I buy one in the US, the taxes and import fees would kill me (just to give an idea: I'll pay 450USD for a special, and 380USD for the fees).

[cursing]

Hey guys,

sorry for bring that thread back, but it helped me a lot and i loved to read your thoughts about this guitar.

And the fact that you, Rick, are from the europe mainland is another good point.

I've seen this guitar a lot in the last years and i really love the style and the sound.

I still looking for a special "version" on this picture.

Am i right that this is a Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway TV yellow?

Which version is that exactly?

And what about that "special" font on the head, I've never seen that before?

And if you read this Rick, have you found something?

post-75908-052729800 1451405103_thumb.jpg

the cherry in the second photo is the cherry I like [thumbup]

But i don't like the wraparound bridge..it gives me the idea of bad tuning stability [unsure]

i dont think they are as bad as people think.you can get the intonation very close on them ,its kind of like the teles with 3 barrel saddles,two strings per barrel.people either like them or dont.

Archived