Gibson Brands Forums

Must see mini-doc

surfpup

I thought this was really good. Any lover of music should see it I think.

It addresses why we love music as well as what it happening to the quality

of it. It's 22 minutes, but I don't think you will regret the time spent.

The Distortion of Sound is a documentary about the decline of sound quality

and how technology has changed the way we listen to music. It will open your

ears and inspire you to reach for richer, more soul-stirring musical experiences.

I thought this was really good. Any lover of music should see it I think.

It addresses why we love music as well as what it happening to the quality

of it. It's 22 minutes, but I don't think you will regret the time spent.

The Distortion of Sound is a documentary about the decline of sound quality

and how technology has changed the way we listen to music. It will open your

ears and inspire you to reach for richer, more soul-stirring musical experiences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZcz-V29_M

I haven't watched it yet, i'm at work right now. But I will get I get home. A while back I told my kids, when I was a teen, we saved every penny we could, to buy the BEST stereo we possibly could afford. Now everybody os walking around with these "ear buds", listening to music from their ipods... maybe i'm a curmudgeon, but the majority of todays music doesn't deserve a top of the line stereo / sound system.

Well worth the watch..very interesting....and sadly true...and yes before CD's it used to be about quality players, get the best record player you could get and speakers....remember working part time in high school and all my money going to albums and as was said each album was a complete experience...I miss those times.

I haven't watched it either but i may when i get back home. Still on vacation so i only have my phone.

Not so sure I need to see it as i have watched the sound quality decline for years.

Kids now are missing out. I have always hated mp3 and ear buds.

When we were young listening music we would fight over the honey spot in the middle of the speakers.

Every instrument had its place in the mix.

That was cool.

I just watched this and indeed its pretty cool (any doc that has Slash and Snoop gets my vote :))..

BUT I think most of us sound nutters already know this, the sad fact is the general public don't...

But also they are trying to promote new file types for portable use.. those DSD files... right now id say they are a good alternative but only if you have the memory and bandwidth to use them in a convenient way.. And as memory gets bigger, faster and cheaper im sure more will start to use files like this.

I haven't watched it yet, i'm at work right now. But I will get I get home. A while back I told my kids, when I was a teen, we saved every penny we could, to buy the BEST stereo we possibly could afford. Now everybody os walking around with these "ear buds", listening to music from their ipods... maybe i'm a curmudgeon, but the majority of todays music doesn't deserve a top of the line stereo / sound system.

Love the wax baby!

78 / 33 1/3 / classic 45's.

At work too.Will watch this weekend during dry spots in the Open Coverage.

X

Live music always has and always will sound better, but I can not carry around a rock group in my pocket. So we get portable players that compress. I love to listen to music, and it is one of my favortie things to do. But I have a job and a wife and kids and guitars and a house ect. It is sad to say, but I mostly listen to music in the car.

Exactly. [glare]

X

analog is the key. Neil Young, years ago, issued a statement condemning digital medium.

Like what Rowdy said, each album was an experience. and as you listen to it, you read the album, who wrote what, who played what, even who produced and engineered it.

Still remember the 1st time playing Dark Side of the Moon on my new stereo...

• 2 weeks later...

This was a good little documentary. I watched it through my TV. To me it really drives home the idea of convenience over quality. And how easy it is to just skip through songs now.

I hate to sound old. But I remember when I was a kid, listening to records was an actual activity. It wasn't just something in the background as we were doing something else. We hung out at each others houses, (sometimes bringing our albums to each others house) with the sole purpose play records and look at the album covers etc.

Well worth the watch..very interesting....and sadly true...and yes before CD's it used to be about quality players, get the best record player you could get and speakers....remember working part time in high school and all my money going to albums and as was said each album was a complete experience...I miss those times.

I, like you, Rowdy, invested all my money into Vinyl LP's back in the late 60's through the mid 70's, then I stopped listening to most music during the Disco Era, I couldn't take it. About 15 years ago I rekindled my dream of having a great stereo and since I own a movie theater, a tv/video system. I never got into MP3's, must be because I am a Geezer, but I do enjoy my music CD's and I still have all my vinyl LP's yet (250+). So I think I am set, but this documentary bothers me to the extent that these talented artists (some on this forum) are bustin their butts to produce the best quality music they can and then our modern technology crunches it down for the convenience of broadcasting and the quality gets compromised. Sound engineers in this day and age should be working on preserving that pure sound, IMHO. :)

Like one of the guys in the film says, I am more a fan of music because of its current level of portability. I too have limited time and opportunities to listen to my vinyl, I do prefer the smoother sound of vinyl but can't take it with me.

I do play CDs in the car and not MP3s.

What they don't mention or get into though is that vinyl can sound like crap if it is compressed in the mastering or re-mastering process. Vinyl sound is as good as the production that went into it.

(I am not a fan of hate him either) but Jack White just released a solo album on vinyl with a ton of features and no compression, I have to admit that I almost bought the album just to check the sound out.

Also, if you buy a novelty record player you are absolutely wasting your time, I have friends that like to show me their Crosley record players and I just don't have the heart to tell them anything.

Archived