Gibson Brands Forums

Freebie pick trick

SteveFord

After a long layoff due to life getting in the way, I picked the guitar back up in 2006 and after a few additional layoffs, I've decided to get serious about it.

Last night I was critiquing my playing (very sloppy) and the problem was poor pick discipline - it was all over the place.

I use one of those "Jazz" picks which are small affairs because I use my thumb flesh and fingernails a lot so they're real easy to maneuver out of the way. Too easy as these are rather slippery SO I rubbed both sides of the pick against some coarse sandpaper and now the damned thing actually stays put instead of sliding around in my grip.

I don't recall having that problem back in the 1980s when I last was into guitars so maybe the pick composition has changed or else I'm just losing my grip, ha, ha.

My playing still stinks but at least the pick stays put. I thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else is struggling with this.

I know that they make dished picks and ones with raised pleasure bumps and the like but I just happen to like the shape of these little guys so that's my freebie tip.

Y'know, I do find the pick rides around my grip alot and doesn't stay put...

I too have a similar history and on my own revival I've now found I have an issue with the pick staying put in my grip...

I however have found I like the big rounded-triangle shaped pick best which also helps me combat this...

I don't use standard cellulose picks I've been on a pick quest most my whole life and am currently most pleased with Clayton Duraplex picks. Although recently I've also taken-to both Acetyl and Ultem/Ultex picks...

I think these picks of differing materials won't respond particularly well to a quick rub on some sandpaper, but it might be worth a try...

I did find it interesting that I'm not the only guy finding the pick riding around in my hand and that I do not recall this ever being an issue during my last go-'round in my youth...

I used to rub picks on the sidewalk to rough them up. My advice would be to just stick with normal sized smooth picks and give it a try for awhile. As you get back into playing more, your pick control will get better. You don't want to use "training wheels" just because you're getting back up to speed. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Somewhere around 30 years of playing you pretty much let your pick go the way of most of your good clothes. So after I go out for the mail wearing just my boxers, filthy wifebeater, one sock, and all of my jewelry, I come in the house and play my guitars with just my fingers. You too will tread the path to guitar nakedness. It's quite exhilirating.

rct

Somewhere around 30 years of playing you pretty much let your pick go the way of most of your good clothes. So after I go out for the mail wearing just my boxers, filthy wifebeater, one sock, and all of my jewelry, I come in the house and play my guitars with just my fingers. You too will tread the path to guitar nakedness. It's quite exhilirating.

rct

[thumbup]

I love your posts dude..

Archived