Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Winter has died!

LarryUK

Sad, indeed.

I know he's had health issues for a while but, even so, for some reason it still came as a bit of a shock to hear he had died.

He was one of the very greatest, that's for sure.

RIP, Mr. Winter.

P.

In addition his guitar playing prowess, concert appearances and record sales, I would also surmise that his work as a record producer, especially with Muddy Waters in the mid/late 70's, was hugely responsible for the late 70's/early 80's electric blues resurgence and explosion.

Not only did it revive Muddy's career in general, it also brought Muddy's music, and the Chicago sound of electric blues, to the attention of the "Rock & Roll" audience.

I am at work and just started when I saw this thread title and my heart sank. He was and still is my biggest guitar hero. Probably my biggest influence when I was in my teens. I remember one of the guys at the local Guitar store in Arkansas, probably 1976, asking me, "Have you ever heard of Johnny Winter?" I said no. He said "He Edgar's brother (Frankenstein was popular at the time) and he plays a really mean guitar. You will be blown away". I bought Captured Live and it changed my guitar playing life.

Here's to you Johnny Winter, I sincerely hope the best for you in the afterlife.

Going to be a tough day at work. I'm shaken.

Archived