Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Winter RIP

zombywoof

I just found out that Johnny Winter died on July 16 in Switzerland. Usually these things do not affect me but this one hits hard. I first saw Johnny when Steve Paul brought him to New York to play in his club. I stuck with him, even through his "rock star" period. I will nevrer forget seeing him with Muddy Water where Johnny just nailed Muddy's style. The last couple of times I saw Johnny he was so frail that somebody walked out on stage with him and he sat the entire gig. No matter. It was an honor just to sit at his feet.

We will feel the loss of Johnny Winter deep down in our bones.

Sad to know he is gone ,

Always will remember November 1969 . Palm Beach Pop Festival Johnny and his band played Friday night what a show .The next day Johnny, Edger and Janis Joplin with Big Brother all Jamming on Saturday night until 1 or 2 am ...before the Rolling Stones came out and played....those were the days.......RIP Johnny and thanks for all the music and memories...

Truly sad news. A guitar player's player! Every time I see or play a vintage sunburst Gibson Firebird, I think of Johnny Winter. Saw him perform on VH1 Classic at Clapton's CrossRoad Festival. Very frail and in a chair the whole of his performance. But he still delivered! Another legend gone.

RIP JW!

He was a huge influence - he had every trick in the book.

I had his first recordings and his work with Muddy Waters, well and truly hooked and all the later rockier ones....and I was lucky enough to see him in the early eighties. Every guitar player in town was there to see him! He had some rude press reviews from the previous gig in (Sydney?) for 'playing too many solos', so he opened his gig I saw here with a blues rock with solos for at least 40 blues progressions and on the last progression, he stepped up to the mic for his trademark: "Allllll-rrrriiiighhhttt!!!!!" and the crowd went apeshite.

I saw him on Letterman only a few months ago, and I posted the link here somewhere - he was sitting, obviously really ill, but the playing was sensational.

BluesKing777.

RIP, guitar hero.

He was the real blues deal...straight out of the early primitive blues players' (Son House Robert Johnson, Mississippi Muddy Waters's)time time, except transplanted to our time. I will miss not only his music, but the many guitar magazine articles he wrote where he always shared meaningful guitar playing tips with readers.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived