Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul first impression.

Thundergod

So what was your first impresion the first time you actually saw a real gibson les paul in front of you (doesnt matter if you got to touch or play her or not).

I remember I was 14 and had just bought my first electric (a les paul shaped epi) and when I saw the real thing at a friends house (it was his father's so we couldnt touch it) the first thing that hit my mind was "damn, that thing is way smaller than it looks on videos".

To this day I am amazed everytime I open a gibson case and see a les paul, everytime I think they are way smaller than I expected. This does not happen when I see fenders (any fender).

I know exactly what you mean. You see people like Jimmy Page, Marc Bolan, and others you think that they are almost like a semi-hollowbody. You don't realize how tiny those guys are so you walk into a store and your like "These are tiny!" Of course then you pick it up and almost drop it.

I remember playing my first Gibson LP and wanting to cry. I wanted to steal it.

Last year I almost bought a used LP standard right at this time. I only played it once but it was a real nice. I was ready to trade in my 1 year old American Standard Strat and I had the money all ready to buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard for the first time in my life.

While I was waiting for the guys in the store to finish selling stuff to some mom and her brat buying a Jay Turser and I decided to play an 04' SG Standard.

I ended up trading in my Strat anyways and buying the used SG (which was pretty much never played) and paying 500 bucks less. Moral of the story is that being able to afford a Les Paul is like having a drug addiction. You will do anything to get it but you MIGHT (nothings wrong with a nice LP but its not right for everybody) not be getting something that will make you happy in the longrun.

I still think about it every once and a while though....

I remember I was 14 and had just bought my first electric (a les paul shaped epi) and when I saw the real thing at a friends house (it was his father's so we couldnt touch it) the first thing that hit my mind was "damn' date=' that thing is way smaller than it looks on videos"..[/quote']

I with you on that. On stage they are so sweet looking that they appear much bigger . The first time I tried one out I was a little surprised by their size. But I think they are the perfect size for playing--not too big and not too small. They are the perfect fit--just like an old shoe. They feel so right when you pick them up.

But I think they are the perfect size for playing--not too big and not too small. They are the perfect fit--just like an old shoe. They feel so right when you pick them up.

Well said' date=' Bluemoon. To me, nothing feels [i']just right[/i] like a Les Paul.

What kills me is that, even though they look small, they weigh a ton! When I had been playing for a couple of years (probably around the time I was 16), my father, who is a musician, brought home a Les Paul Custom that a friend of his was selling for me to check out. I knew what it was, but I wasn't old enough or experienced enough to appreciate it and decided that it was too heavy so he returned it to his friend. This was around 1983 so who knows what year that guitar was made? I'd kick my my own *** if I could but I'd probably end up kicking my own ***.

Well, i played a Studio at my local music store, and i just felt like it was the sound that had been in my head that i was waiting for..... And there it was! Just that BIG, FAT, MONSTROUS SOUND!!! I ended up going for an SG, for the weight(Im not very big), upper-fret access, and that SG sound. Dont get me wrong the next guitar i buy will definitely be a les paul. Just for the time being, the SG's good enough.

Ha ha! You had to have been there during that era to understand. "Freak" was a BIG part of their appeal.

. . . and it worked out just fine for them. As a side note, the first time I saw Kiss was with Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr in full make-up. I'm glad I got to see that version in the make-up era, and I later got to see Ace and Peter when they reunited in '96. The funny thing was that I thought Ace had just "changed" his make up when I saw Vinnie (hey, I was a kid, I did not know!). My brother's friend let me know that Ace was no longer in the band in the middle of the show. DOH!

I was 15, and went over to an older friends house to see the guitar he had just bought from a local druggie.

He opened the case, and there was a LP gold top. First year on top of that. This was in 1971, so it wasn't that big a deal at the time, not like now.

I was not that impressed actually. It was a nice guitar, but the gold top did nothing for me.

The second one I saw was later that year, when I started jamming with a guy that lived a few blocks away. It was a 3 pickup, black with gold hardware.

Now THAT one blew me away, but it was heavy as lead, so I didn't really like playing it that much. I was a skinny kid, and the strap was killin' my boney shoulder.

im sure the first one i saw was in the hands of jimmy page, or maybe duane allman, among others

i was like wow, that looks like a guitar you could really PLAY,

then i played one and was like, "damn this thing is heavy" "and it kinda digs into my side" (im a small guy) i could tell it was an aquired guitar, and that you played this thing for its sound, regardless of weight and uncomfortability

but that was before i knew what an sg was +:-@

The first time i played a LP I was like 15 or so (i had played knock-offs i.e. Aria, ibanez, and the like). It was a 50's model i recall and I remember it being the best feeling guitar I'd ever touched and remember it that way still. Almost all LP feel great if set up properly but I just recall it being the smoothest fastest neck I had played. Granted that was guitar infancy @ 15 yrs. old. Dont recall what model but it was tobacco SB. I would say looking back it was a standard, although in those days clearly i didnt pay much attention to that kind of detail.

paula.jpg

Unfortunately I do not own this beauty anymore.Sold it long time ago and

got me a 345.

Found a pic of this same LP on ebay, was for sale for big $.

However when I bought it I did not now **** from shinola.

But:

The first time I played it as a guest in a friend's band - we just played some

kind of a ZZ Top improvisation - they let me play a solo.

Man I just did not want to stop: the guitar seemed to come alive

in my hands.

After we were done my buddy smiled at me and said" ... that's what a Les Paul

does for you ..."

What is the moral?: Everyone needs a good LP!

ES335

LP Standard

'61 SG Reissue

Firebird V

EC Strat

SRV Strat

Rickenbacker 360/12

Takamine 12

Ibanez Martin-knockoff (30 years old)

Lonestar Special

Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Champ 12

Trace Acoustic

Boss DR-880

It was about a year ago that I decided I wanted an LP. At that point I'd been playing mostly acoustic for a couple of years and had been fooling around a little bit on my Epi SG. I went into a local music store, went straight to the Gibsons, picked up a used 90s standard, and thought, "I must own one of these!!!" Now that I've finally got one, I want a Strat... but not enough to trade it in. This guitar is (hopefully) sticking with me for life.

slash. guns n roses

you get my meaning

edit: ohhhh.

i was scared to touch it incase i broke it because they are so expensive.

i lifted one down though in the end.

it felt heavy but fitted perfectly.

i just felt so right and the neck was so smooth.

i want to buy it straight away. however the price tag wasn't exactly low so i had to say goodbye to it.

wish i could have had it. maybe one day....

As a pre-teenager I saw footage of Paul Kossoff playing 'The Hunter' with Free, recorded at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970(?) and I have been an addict in a serious way ever since. To this day no-one's playing has ever electrified me in quite the same way.

24 Years of (personal) Fender domination couldn't assuage those particular fires.

I remember I was 14 and had just bought my first electric (a les paul shaped epi) and when I saw the real thing at a friends house (it was his father's so we couldnt touch it) the first thing that hit my mind was "damn' date=' that thing is way smaller than it looks on videos".

To this day I am amazed everytime I open a gibson case and see a les paul, everytime I think they are way smaller than I expected. This does not happen when I see fenders (any fender).[/quote']

The first Les Paul I 'played' was a 3 pickup '86 Les Paul Standard Honeyburst. It played so great with an awesome

neck and a dark colored rosewood board. I LOVED it. I thought: 'Wow, it's a beautiful, little guitar'. And 'It's heavy!'.

For me it was seeing Alex Lifeson's Tobacco Les Paul from a picture on the inside cover of the All the World's a Stage live album. When I heard that guitar on that album I knew that I wanted one. It would be many years later before I did though...

When I was around 11 or 12 and just beginning to play I would go to my local music store every weekend and just stare at all those beautiful guitars. I was a big fan of KISS and I guess I probably always wore my favorite KISS t-shirt when I was in the store.

One day, one of the salesmen (who I suspect was also a fan) asked me if I would like to see one of the guitars. I was shocked since all the other people in the store never gave me the time of day. Anyway, there was this silverburst custom that I had my eye on and I said "that one". He told me to sit in the stool and he put the thing in my lap and told me to "be very, very careful". I only knew a few chords but he let me strum the thing and that is something I will never forget. All I really remember about the guitar was that is was very heavy. He also let me see an Ibanez Iceman!

I would always go to that guy when I needed strings or help with anything.

I know......=D> blah, blah, blah.

Archived