Gibson Brands Forums

For those who like to mod their guitars/amps

djroge1

I got some $$ for Christmas so I thought I'd buy something to help me in any future modding projects.

I found this great deal on a soldering station at Howard Electronics

It heats up extremely quick so if you're not soldering right away, you cut the temp to zero and then turn it up and it only takes 2-3 minutes to heat up. It has a heavy holder for when you need to set the soldering iron down and it wont roll off the bench.

It comes with a pointy tip for fine solder details which is great for working on push/pull pots or mini-toggle switches - you can buy other tips as needed. If you do or plan to do a lot of soldering/mod jobs this is a good deal - it was about $55 after shipping in the US (you can also order one for you're countries voltage).

There may be better ones out there, but for the price it is a good deal - sure beats what you can buy at Radio Shack, Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes and to be honest, sometimes you need a lower temp iron so as not to burn up your caps etc... and sometimes you need something with higher temps - like grounding to a chassis or bridge.

Here are some pics

IMG_2546_0502_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2547_0503_edited-1.jpg

Looks great! I especially like that it has a stand for the iron. Aside from my crappy soldering skills, the one thing that really prevents me from doing this stuff on my own is the lack of a soldering iron. I used to swap pups and stuff when I was a teen using my father's old soldering gun but I just never did much after that.

Looks great! I especially like that it has a stand for the iron. Aside from my crappy soldering skills' date=' the one thing that really prevents me from doing this stuff on my own is the lack of a soldering iron. I used to swap pups and stuff when I was a teen using my father's old soldering gun but I just never did much after that.[/quote']

Yeah I've been reading some of the amp building forums and one guy listed this. If you're going to build an amp something like this is what you want. You definately don't want to use a soldering gun. Way too big/bulky.

Yeah, I remember it being a bit heavy to deal with thin wires. Maybe I'll pick one up too; I have that Suhr noiseless system coming for my Strat that I was going to have my tech install but perhaps I'll try it myself. Then again, maybe not - that damned thing is expensive.

Archived