Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone played one of these?

LarryUK

That's a cool looking guitar. I have never played one but a guy I play with in the band at my church has a Samick semi-hollow that sounds great. He is very happy with it. Let us know about this one if you get it.

In my specific experience Samick is the very cheapest guitar I've ever seen...

They have the bling and colors to grab your attention but the wood was inferior and I always found the quality to be beyond lacking, it was atrocious...

If they've made strides in the 5 years or so since I looked at them it would be a good thing...

I don't know if they were early new style models that simply sucked and that they've put better quality controls in yet or not, I just don't know and haven't bothered to find out.

I can tell you this; JT Riboloff is or has been most recently affiliated with Samick guitars. He's the designer/maker behind the Gibson Hawk guitars; Nighthawk & Blues Hawk.

For whatever reason he ended up with Samick after parting ways with Gibson. I don't know what that says about either JT Riboloff, Gibson, or Samick, but I have not yet, even once, been impressed with a Samick guitar...

Back in the 1990's a buddy of mine had a Samick Strat copy that was OK. It played OK, but I don't recall if the electronics were any good, they might have been a bit weak... The ones I checked out most recently; about 5 years ago, looked spectacular, I think they use the ultra-violet enhanced photo-laminate faux finish in a veneer to appear like wood grain; flame-top, under the clear-coat, but more than one of them was literally unplayable the neck was so warped as it was hanging in the guitar shop for sale brand new... Total Epic-Fail!

I'll hope for the sake of those guitarists looking at them and interested in them that they've changed things dramatically since that time, but I won't even check out an axe that has Samick on it because of those most recent experiences...

I don't want to poison anyone's mind toward them, but my experience with them is terrible...

Tell us how you really feel Jimi! LOL. I think Samick must have had some up and down times. I was looking at buying a strat copy on EBay one time and did some research and found out that the early 90's Valley Arts Samicks get real good reviews. Late 90's and into the 2000's it seems they were nothing but junk. And then there is the one I talked about that my friend has that is quite nice. It's fairly new but not sure of the model year. For the right price and if it felt good, I would try a new one.

I've only played one Samick (a LP Special Double-cut clone) and it was a very nice player. It was used but in sweet nick.

The only negative I found was a rather dry 'board but that's easily enough cured.

I actually went back to buy it but it had been sold. I regret not having picked it up when I had the chance.

I hadn't seen the one in the OP so did a quick google.

The reviews seem to be very positive and there is even a two-p'up version. Check it out here if you are in the mood;

http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-7/reviews/jtr-linda-ln30/

I'd rather like to give one a spin myself!

And here is a link to the rest of the range. Some very interesting axes in there!

http://www.portlandpercussion.com/ECOM/SAMICK/SAMICK.htm

P.

Hello!

"Samick has partnered with cutting edge designer J. T. Riboloff."

It is the same Mr. Riboloff responsible for the first (1990's) "1960" Les Paul Classics? I guess, yes. Then, these should be classy guitars.

Cheers... Bence

"Samick has partnered with cutting edge designer J. T. Riboloff."...

It is the same Mr. Riboloff responsible for the first (1990's) "1960" Les Paul Classics?...

Here's a quote (Hi, AXE®!) from the other link;

"The JTR series is the culmination of a collaboration between Samick...with guitar maker J.T. Riboloff, who spent twenty years with Gibson, heading the custom, art and historic division."

So he probably knows his stuff...

P.

Is there only one control knob? Is that just a volume and no tone adjustments?

Never played one of those . I will pick an Epi if I come across a deal on it but other than that I don't go much to the lesser known guitars and names,tends to be reason they are inexpensive

Here's a quote (Hi, AXE®!) from the other link;

"The JTR series is the culmination of a collaboration between Samick...with guitar maker J.T. Riboloff, who spent twenty years with Gibson, heading the custom, art and historic division."

So he probably knows his stuff...

P.

Yes, and as I noted he's the man behind the Blues Hawk among other Gibson guitars that are maybe a bit obscure in comparison to LP's & ES's but are rather highly sought after in many circles...

I really should be a little more open to them I guess, but it's hard when you've had a bad personal experience...

I had a similar experience with a Hamer gold-top double-cut w/soap-bars in the past couple years and I thought Hamer was supposed to be a pretty good brand...

The guitar had dead-spots all over the neck and was virtually unplayable...

I think it really sucks when guitar shops care so little about the guitars they have hanging for sale and allow them to be in that condition for customers... It's simply insane!

It could well be the same issue with the Samicks I tried in the past, but it's just rather hard to get beyond that and knowing they are inexpensive guitars geared toward new and often inexperienced players on price-point...

A new guitarist that is ignorant about guitars will get an axe like that and quickly give up playing because he can't make any progress or sounds worth hearing on a guitar that bad. I find that very sad and inexcusable!

I suppose any such guitar like that can probably be saved by a good luthier or even guitar tweaker that knows his stuff... (we all know those kinds of guys, but I didn't in my youth and wouldn't know where to find one and that could have led to shutting down my guitar sojourn at a young age had I not had a better axe when I started...)

Funny thing is I have a Vintage (brand) VS6 (SG copy) that could probably be considered that bad... The neck is so cantankerous and gnarly and fights adjustment so bad I named it "Johnny Reb" as I've attested to in here before...

But I found other things about the guitar to love so I haven't cut-bait with it yet... I also took it right to my guitar guy who is a master tweaker and was able to make it playable even if I've now relegated it to my slide axe...

I guess having a really good experience, as I have twice now, with a brand like Vintage by Wilkinson, I've been able to over-look the bad one in this case because my experience has been overwhelmingly good and positive with the brand in all other circumstances...

That's why I said I didn't want to poison anyone's mind because I know there are probably those with examples of fine experiences with them in here and I don't want to diminish that truism...

This was a Samick SG copy I had for a few years,played well looked good.The only thing I didnt like were the pickups were nothing special and I didnt want to spent a lot of cash to upgrade the pickups especially since I also had two Epi G-400 SG's that I really liked.

MVC-017S-1.jpg

I loaded up the Samick website and I am very suprised at what I saw.If they sound as good as they look I would like to try one.I kinda dig the new designs.

http://www.portlandpercussion.com/ECOM/SAMICK/SAMICK.htm

In my specific experience Samick is the very cheapest guitar I've ever seen...

They have the bling and colors to grab your attention but the wood was inferior and I always found the quality to be beyond lacking, it was atrocious...

If they've made strides in the 5 years or so since I looked at them it would be a good thing...

I don't know if they were early new style models that simply sucked and that they've put better quality controls in yet or not, I just don't know and haven't bothered to find out.

I can tell you this; JT Riboloff is or has been most recently affiliated with Samick guitars. He's the designer/maker behind the Gibson Hawk guitars; Nighthawk & Blues Hawk.

For whatever reason he ended up with Samick after parting ways with Gibson. I don't know what that says about either JT Riboloff, Gibson, or Samick, but I have not yet, even once, been impressed with a Samick guitar...

Back in the 1990's a buddy of mine had a Samick Strat copy that was OK. It played OK, but I don't recall if the electronics were any good, they might have been a bit weak... The ones I checked out most recently; about 5 years ago, looked spectacular, I think they use the ultra-violet enhanced photo-laminate faux finish in a veneer to appear like wood grain; flame-top, under the clear-coat, but more than one of them was literally unplayable the neck was so warped as it was hanging in the guitar shop for sale brand new... Total Epic-Fail!

I'll hope for the sake of those guitarists looking at them and interested in them that they've changed things dramatically since that time, but I won't even check out an axe that has Samick on it because of those most recent experiences...

I don't want to poison anyone's mind toward them, but my experience with them is terrible...

I agree

Archived