Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdogric12

Epi G-1275 with different bridge on 12er?

Any ideas on this? I thought both necks had the separate tailpiece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-SG-G-1275-Electric-Guitar-/321467953178?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ad8fbb01a

If I understand the question, it's like any other Epi 12 I've seen, the 12 string side still has 6 saddles, but are double notched (Rickenbacker does the same thing on most of their 12s). Aparrently, when he flipped the handing, all he did was flip the nut and reverse-order the saddles, on both necks.

Looks different than all I've ever seen.

Looks like somebody did not like the separate tp and replaced it with a new bridge/tailpiece combo.

I would suggest getting the Serial Number from the guy and looking up exactly what the year was and research the year. But for 400 bucks that's a steal anyways.

The 12 string side of that twin neck is fitted with a Gotoh (or copy of) bridge. It's a great solution to intonating a 12 string. The 6 thicker strings come through the body and the other 6 are attached to the bridge back (through body and toploading in Fender terms). The saddles are like modern Fender saddles but the 6 thinner strings have their own adjustable saddle to one side. A picture says a thousand words

Gotoh12StringBridge_zpsd4cc1006.jpg

I have one of these bridges on a Strat-a-like 12 string and it works brilliantly. Only down side is the saddles are hard zinc which (IMO) may take a bit of zing out of the sound. This is still a way better bridge than having a TOM and Stoptail for a 12 string.