Gibson Brands Forums

air con!

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I've just been given a used air conditioner. It's barely been used and works perfectly. It's portable(ish) but fairly large, robust and powerful. I'm as happy as a pig in s#%t.

I've just been given a used air conditioner. It's barely been used and works perfectly. It's portable(ish) but fairly large, robust and powerful. I'm as happy as a pig in s#%t.

Nice.. you bloody need it with this weather...

In my old flat I used to have a ceiling fan above my bed.. man how I miss that thing.

Guest Farnsbarns

Tell me about it. 2 seriously hot summers in a row.

Mostly I look forward to running it tonight and making the bedroom actually cold. I love a cold bedroom/bed. Also, 2 people in my little music room and that starts getting hot. Looking forward to my next jam on Thursday night. Lastly, on the odd occasion when the dog gets left at home I can leave it running for her.

Besides being as lucky as me and being given one, I suggest visiting the rental shops in the winter and asking if they have any used ones for sale.

I've been sleeping very badly because of the hot weather. Last night I just couldn't sleep at all until, gone 2am. I had been in bed since before midnight and had had a shower to cool me off and kept a big fan on all night.

The worst thing about heat in the UK is the humidity. It isn't like the Med or the Canary islands where you have less vegetation and cooling breezes.

So, yes, I am jealous! I could do with air con if this heat carries on.

I am an air conditioner fanatic, having grown up in very hot weather I do not care for being hot in my own home.

The thermostat is set at 68ºF all spring and summer and both upstairs and downstairs units perform very well.

So, I take it central air conditioning units are not common in the UK?

I am an air conditioner fanatic, having grown up in very hot weather I do not care for being hot in my own home.

The thermostat is set at 68ºF all spring and summer and both upstairs and downstairs units perform very well.

So, I take it central air conditioning units are not common in the UK?

Yeah its only hot for like a month at the most throughout the whole year so we don't have that..

BUT most homes are central heated, have double glazing windows, are carpeted and insulated... And we need it.. When it gets cold you know about it.

A/C is nice! We use ours from May until November. More than half the year. Even living by the ocean, it's hot in Florida. Worse in the middle of the state since most days we get a seabreeze, but still I cannot imagine living down here without it. Our electric bills in the winter are half to a third what they are in the summer. I imagine in colder climes the reverse is true.

A/C is nice! We use ours from May until November. More than half the year. Even living by the ocean, it's hot in Florida. Worse in the middle of the state since most days we get a seabreeze, but still I cannot imagine living down here without it. Our electric bills in the winter are half to a third what they are in the summer. I imagine in colder climes the reverse is true.

"up" here in N.E. Alabama, we've had to literally run the heat in the morning, and the air in the afternoon.....usually a few days each spring & fall.

"up" here in N.E. Alabama, we've had to literally run the heat in the morning, and the air in the afternoon.....usually a few days each spring & fall.

Done that too - mostly in the late spring. But usually I can get away with heat in the morning and then opening the windows and screen doors during the day. At that time of year here the seabreeze is cool.

Yeah its only hot for like a month at the most throughout the whole year so we don't have that..

BUT most homes are central heated, have double glazing windows, are carpeted and insulated... And we need it.. When it gets cold you know about it.

Lol, I'll take your winter any day. Try living an Alberta winter when its -40, see what cold really feels like. Your spit freezes before it hits the ground.

How hot is hot for London?

It has been around 28 / 29 centigrade these past few weeks and that is wayyyyyyy too hot for me coupled with the stickiness! That sort of temperature in the Trade Winds of the Canary Islands (about 2000 miles south of here) is nothing unusual but the wind and dry heat make it more tolerable.

My house does not have central air which is very common nowaways in the chicago area, but my house was built in the 1920's. I have a couple of window units and a dehumidifier in the basement. Normally we have about a dozen days above 90 degrees and several more in the high 80's and what I have does the trick to cool the house and my electric bill is never too high.

Surfpup,

Having lived from Key West,O'town,Ft. Walton,Navarre,baby I tell ya, living here in this blowtorch of the Mojave Desert,even with the cold Colorado (58 deg f.year round) river out my door,I will take any coast of the south any day..Even if my long hair goes squirrely or not!

Those poor chaps in the U.K. aren't accustomed to extended periods of heat as we are..I vote for year round fall season 'Global Gloaming" myself.

X

Guest Farnsbarns

Surfpup,

Having lived from Key West,O'town,Ft. Walton,Navarre,baby I tell ya, living here in this blowtorch of the Mojave Desert,even with the cold Colorado (58 deg f.year round) river out my door,I will take any coast of the south any day..Even if my long hair goes squirrely or not!

Those poor chaps in the U.K. aren't accustomed to extended periods of heat as we are..I vote for year round fall season 'Global Gloaming" myself.

X

Having spent several entire summers in Louisiana and Florida I can tell you with certainty that 30+ degrees here just feels hotter. Furthermore, it doesn't stop raining just because it's a hot summer, I think the humidity is the real issue. Summer in Durban is about the only place I've experienced that humidity.

The middle east is where I've experienced the highest temperatures (50+ degrees) and that's just horrible. Northern Africa in summer is hot but a dry heat. I find it perfectly comfortable.

The other factor is how hot it stays after sun down, and for how long. In London, that seems to be all night. Out in the sticks where I am now it seems to cool much faster at night. Still a damn hot summer though.

Yeah its been like 32 degees ish around here.. and as farns said the issue is the humidity (about 80%) and the fact that it stays about 20 degrees overnight, which would be fine but in my flat it remains about 26 degrees all night sometimes hotter and that's with all the windows open..

Its not fun.

Today is much more pleasant though.

It sounds obvious, I know, but here in London if you keep your curtains closed all day when you are out at work (or whatever) the house is never too hot when you get home.

Once home half-an-hour with windows and doors open - but with the curtains still closed in the main - will cool the house down just through the breeze from the pressure differential.

IMX, that is.

I was used to the weather in Central Scotland where a clear day and a temp of more than 20 C. would see everyone out sunbathing in the unexpected 'heatwave'...

P.

A cupla things...

Modern cities always hold heat longer than rural areas, all else equal. Concrete and asphalt paving hold it and radiate it.

Second, altitude cuts the effects to a large extent.

Where I live is lower - only about 1000 meters/3,100 feet - but in 20 minutes I'm at a greater altitude than the highest spot in Scotland - all of the British Isles for all of that.

Also, those of us in the Prairie Provinces of Canada and U.S. Northern Plains are a bit farther from oceans than folks in the U.K. - although one might make a case that Hudson Bay is "ocean" as well in the case of Manitoba. (It doesn't have the Gulf Stream, though, for warm water.)

m

It has been around 28 / 29 centigrade these past few weeks and that is wayyyyyyy too hot for me coupled with the stickiness! That sort of temperature in the Trade Winds of the Canary Islands (about 2000 miles south of here) is nothing unusual but the wind and dry heat make it more tolerable.

You don't want to come here then, Im in central Taxas, right in the middle between Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. The hot months are coming up, its usually around 101-105 degrees Fahrenheit. By the time Ive been at work for an hour, my clothes are wet with sweat, and I work in a shop out of the sun, but big roll up doors open, HOT, HOT ,HOT. Night time temps only get down to mid 80s, the a/c/ never turns off

Moparguy...

Yup on where you live. Been there. Then too, your ice storms ain't particularly nice either, regardless that it's not really all that cold in temperature. Been there.

My little sis used to live at Grapevine - now getting some ocean breezes and hurricanes at Corpus Christi. My eldest niece is somewhere in that central Texas area.

I'd say the weather overall is less comfortable than in Memphis.

Maybe that's why so many Texas cowboys that trailed north to my region in the 1870s through the '90s didn't bother going home - regardless of the blizzards.

m

Lol, I'll take your winter any day. Try living an Alberta winter when its -40, see what cold really feels like. Your spit freezes before it hits the ground.

Hey neighbor. A few hours east of you I know what you're talking about. Sask winters are right up there with yours.

Still though,, summers can get hot. I can't stand the heat so I could not go without AC.

I put central air in the last 3 homes I lived in. Gotta have it.

I can't stand the heat.

Moparguy...

Yup on where you live. Been there. Then too, your ice storms ain't particularly nice either, regardless that it's not really all that cold in temperature. Been there.

My little sis used to live at Grapevine - now getting some ocean breezes and hurricanes at Corpus Christi. My eldest niece is somewhere in that central Texas area.

I'd say the weather overall is less comfortable than in Memphis.

Maybe that's why so many Texas cowboys that trailed north to my region in the 1870s through the '90s didn't bother going home - regardless of the blizzards.

m

It never ,ever, ever snows here, but 2 out of the last 4 winters, we got like 3 inches of snow, your right about the ice storms, they suck, it paralyzes the traffic here, cant drive on it. Our winter is about 3-4 months long, and we have a combined total of about a month of really nasty bitter cold and ice, the rest of the time its in the mid 40s to lower 50s, gonna be beggin for winter in August and September, not looking forward to it at all.

Hey neighbor. A few hours east of you I know what you're talking about. Sask winters are right up there with yours.

Still though,, summers can get hot. I can't stand the heat so I could not go without AC.

I put central air in the last 3 homes I lived in. Gotta have it.

I can't stand the heat.

I can see your house from here! Lol

Its been a warm summer here, the AC has been on a lot this year, not complaining though. Soon enough it will be cold again. [scared]

Archived