Gibson Brands Forums

Once bitten... Melted lacquer :(

stevezapp

I got my GOR shipped over from the States to the UK as a used instrument, and on the description it noted that there was some 'smudging' just under the headstock where she'd been hung on a cheap hanger in the store.

As soon as I got her, I took her into my local trusted luthier and two weeks later, good as new.

What I want to know is can I hang her on my existing wall hanger without the same issue recurring?

My luthier said that it's an inherent problem with Custom shop Gibsons and Fenders, but as long as I don't use a cheap hanger i'll be fine.

I'm a little reluctant to try it.

Anyone else experienced a similar occurence, or do you have your GOR hanging on the wall as you read this, issue free?

Cheers,

Steve

Hay there, I'm from the UK as well.

Gibson uses nitrocellulose lacquer and some rubber on stands can wear the finish. You're after something like this Hercules wallmount because it says: "The yoke is completely covered with finish-safe Specially Formulated Foam (SFF) rubber to protect your guitar's finish."

Other people just put towels or cloths over the rubber to act as a barrier.

Hay there' date=' I'm from the UK as well.

Gibson uses nitrocellulose lacquer and some rubber on stands can wear the finish. You're after something like this Hercules wallmount because it says: "The yoke is completely covered with finish-safe Specially Formulated Foam (SFF) rubber to protect your guitar's finish."

Other people just put towels or cloths over the rubber to act as a barrier.

Apparently even the Hercules are Nitro unsafe, or so have the Hercules rep told me.

I use my GOR on a Hercules stand, and didn't have an issue so far.

Hercules stands are the only ones that are safe really. Most of the time anyway. But the best thing is to keep it in its case. Keeping it out for prolonged periods of time lets dust settle which is really annoying to clean.

Well' date=' a cloth of some description is the best way to make sure it's safe then. Personally, I am keeping mine in its case, but that's just me.[/quote']

Well I didn't want to mention it initially for fear of ridicule, but i've currently got her hanging on the wall with those little trianer socks over the pegs to protect the finish... I looks awful, so hence me checking to see if I could take them off.

I'm gonna look into the Hercules stands tho.

S73F1898.jpg

Classy huh?

Well' date=' that looks much better than the trainer socks. I do wonder though, how much discolouration you would see on a white body. I had thought it was more prevalent on the darker colours. I'm not too sure about that though.[/quote']

I have wrapped also my Robot (1st run) stand. But I don't have picture of it, so thats why I put White Falcon picture as an example. But anyway, Robot has no marks.

And for what it is worth - a White Lacquer guitar would suffer the greatest risk of damage from the Guitar stand's black Rubber grips "outgassing chemical release" damage. Its tough to find an original White Falcon without blemished areas near the headstock (due to rubber hanger damage) from hanging at the guitar store for years waiting for a buyer.

And for what it is worth - a White Lacquer guitar would suffer the greatest risk of damage from the Guitar stand's black Rubber grips "outgassing chemical release" damage. Its tough to find an original White Falcon without blemished areas near the headstock (due to rubber hanger damage) from hanging at the guitar store for years waiting for a buyer.

Well' date=' you learn something new every day.

I have wrapped also my Robot (1st run) stand. But I don't have picture of it, so thats why I put White Falcon picture as an example. But anyway, Robot has no marks.

That's really useful to know. I already have some hooks hanging up, even though I am not planning on using them. I might still get a Hercules for when I'm on stage.

Thanks for confirming that Hercules stands are all right Thundergod :-)

I use Hercules stands -- but, only temporarily when I'm using the guitars. I leave the guitars in their cases at all other times. However, I DO want to cover the vinyl on the stands, somehow, because even the Hercules will react with the nitrocellulous. Maybe then I would keep the guitars out for a bit longer. I don't know.

BTW, I love using the G7th capos: the 6-string Performance and the Nashville. Did you know that EVEN THE CAPOs have some form of vinyl and will ALSO react with the nitrocellulous? Yep!

Basically, you can't be prissy about using your stuff. It's going to degrade no matter what. Just do the best you can with what you got... But, try to purchase the best stuff available. That's really all you can do unless you want to encase your guitar in an air-tight glass case or something like that.

I covered up my guitar stand with white stretch bandage' date=' and it is working great!

[img']http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z84/niemepet/falcon_vox.jpg[/img]

That is what i'm gonna do. Looks greats as well.

Well' date=' that looks much better than the trainer socks. I do wonder though, how much discolouration you would see on a white body. I had thought it was more prevalent on the darker colours. I'm not too sure about that though.[/quote']

I'd say they are more at risk.

I saw a white SG at a discount price in my local store due to hanger damage. It had gone a nasty orange colour.

My Adamas had two small points at the neck as well, as i got her. Until now i couldn't figure out, why.

She was probably hanging at the shop. I couldn't imagine, they would have treated her bad in another way.

So she seems to be another victim of hanging.

Basically' date=' you can't be prissy about using your stuff. It's going to degrade no matter what. Just do the best you can with what you got... But, try to purchase the best stuff available. That's really all you can do unless you want to encase your guitar in an air-tight glass case or something like that. [/color']

*Goes off to find airtight glass*

Well I didn't want to mention it initially for fear of ridicule' date=' but i've currently got her hanging on the wall with those little trianer socks over the pegs to protect the finish... I looks awful, so hence me checking to see if I could take them off.

I'm gonna look into the Hercules stands tho.

[img']http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg376/st4vros/S73F1898.jpg[/img]

Classy huh?

After Niemepet's advice, she now hangs on the same hanger, but with stretch bandage covering the pegs. I'll tidy it up when my broken shoulder has healed. The hanger is about 7 feet up the wall, so it's not too accessable atm.

S73F1908.jpg

Hi Stevezapp,

I'm in the UK also, my 2008 Standard LP has been hanging on a Hercules wall mount for 6 months and has no signs of any damage or discolouration and this has a nitro finish as do all Gibson guitars I beleive. My GOR stays in the case though so I cannot report on this particular finish colour. A good idea with the socks though it can't do any harm and I suppose it;s always better to be safe than sorry.

Great advice and a nice topic. I found that I was playing my guitars less because they were always packed in their cases in the cupboard (I dont have a lot of floor space) - so it was too much of a drama just to get started. By the time you open the cupboard, get a guitar out, but the case back in.........sometimes the creative urge had disipated. So, I've decided that life is too short and that I cant take them with me anyway. So at least some of my guitars are out all of the time - although the ES 175 is an exception. But my Strat and my acoustic are out all the time. I'll be looking into the bandage strapping idea. Nice one and thanks!

Great advice and a nice topic. I found that I was playing my guitars less because they were always packed in their cases in the cupboard (I dont have a lot of floor space) - so it was too much of a drama just to get started. By the time you open the cupboard' date=' get a guitar out, but the case back in.........sometimes the creative urge had disipated. So, I've decided that life is too short and that I cant take them with me anyway. So at least some of my guitars are out all of the time - although the ES 175 is an exception. But my Strat and my acoustic are out all the time. I'll be looking into the bandage strapping idea. Nice one and thanks![/quote']

That's a good point.

When I didn't have my guitars on the wall I played maybe once every two days - a prime example of out of sight, out of mind.

Now they're on the wall I look at them every five minutes, and pick them up twice, may be three times a day.

I'd reccomend the bandage idea to anyone - kudos to Niemepet. ^_^

Archived