Gibson Brands Forums

Stevie Nicks

xkimo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, that if we're talking about playing music with a girl singer/musician, I'd rather have creases in both our faces along with the broader conceptual musical experience. And frankly, I think they were cute far longer than most girls and - listen to the feminine in their voices regardless of style.

m

Milod I agree - women that can sing/play guitar have a special something.

I liked Fleetwood Mac before and after Stevie Nicks, she and Lindsey were actually a package deal when they joined the band. They had been preforming together and writing together and brought a new direction into Fleetwood Mac.I saw them with ELO in 1977, Fleetwood Mac was the first act, second row center seats, they blew my panties off.I am a fan of Della and Ella and Joan Baez, along with Judy Collins and Heart and many others, enjoyed listening to all of them, why on earth would I want to limit myself to one or the other? That would be like deciding one writer was the best and never reading another book.

In a totally ideal world, yeah, working with several different talents would be neat. I was going on the assumption of "one only," for the odd variety of music I like to do - and that cuts things significantly.

Julie London, for example, had a helluva "jazz-torch" voice. She herself knew she didn't have a great genetic vocal capability although her timing and phrasing and pitch were marvelous. You could even see/hear that in her as an actress. So what she did was the best she could with the equipment issued her at birth - keep close to the mike to keep a consistent volume for what she did in marvelous phrasing. She was a pro - and I have no higher compliment.

But... hollering out rock or some blues style? Nope. No way.

There's also the factor of finding the right mix of "style" regardless of genre. That also takes a pro musician perspective more than a pro "show" entertainer perspective that's a different thing too.

There are a lot of really talented and practical people in the "music business." I think it's a bit more difficult for the ladies for a number of reasons but it's also difficult to find anyone who enjoys and can/will perform in different genres.

Grace Slick ... I have difficulty imagining her doing anything after she 'retired' and comments about doing "rock" over age 50. She's entitled to her opinion, but I'd disagree. Teen sexual and political angst are far from being dissimilar from grownup sexual and political angst. Boys and girls always have an interesting dynamic across age groups as well as within them - a teen might not weep a rock ballad of a child dying but it's not really different from a sibling. Nor is any sort of loss or gain of a "love interest" different at 70 than at 16 - although I'll admit that there does tend to be a bit more sophisticated musical response at 70 than at 16.

m

I prefer Christine McVie as a singer, songwriter, and musician to Nicks.

My favorite female singers are Ann Wilson, Jonette Napolitano (funny her name has shown up here several times already), and Bonnie Raitt.

Jazz singers- Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan. I could listen to them all night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvtljstNaU

zzag,

Man,

Sarah did have some pipes.Her vocals were sooo clear,crisp,the phraseology was impeccable.Thanks for the hit.

Actually,as I listened, closed my eyes,I was transported back to a small local Jazz club outside Savannah Ga,/ Beaufort S.C.

"The Golden Rose".

Memories.

X

I'm a Blues Hound and find I have a personal preference block against female singers/performers in The Blues...

Don't get me wrong, I find female singers piquant, alluring, and sweet to the ear in different genres... I just can't "believe" them for Blues...

There's something that simply doesn't fit what seems like the core passion to The Blues about a woman singing it...

I think generally most of that has to do with The Blues most often being about a love for a woman being unrequited or otherwise being unfulfilled or going wrong in some way...

Turning it around to be about a guy seems pretentious and manufactured to me...

Not that it isn't honest, but my own personal tastes just won't let me get into a woman Blues singer...

Trust me, I wholly understand the limiting dynamic of that personal preference! I was in a band with a girl I'd known from highschool... My preference made me move on and we went our separate ways... I went on into obscurity and she ended up touring with Johnny Winter during the 1990's...

As much as I missed-out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I still just don't cotton-to a female Blues artist...

Many of them can kick-@$ on a guitar too! I just can't listen to it...

I.......I have a personal preference block against female singers/performers in The Blues..........I still just don't cotton-to a female Blues artist...

As a matter of interest, Jimi, have you tried giving Bessie Smith a spin?

:-k

P.

To Jimi: ...or Billie Holiday? Like her or not, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, sings the blues with more authenticity than Billie Holiday.

To marvar: I agree about ST. And she is much better live than on any of her recordings, IMO. Decent guitar player, too.

Interesting to see we all go back rather than choose a contemporary singer, no Taylor Swift here!!! But I do think Katy Perry has a good voice, I don't particularly like here stuff but she is excellent on the duet with John Mayer 'Who You Love'. You lost out there John!

But to look fully at the thread then I can only second fellow members. Julie London and Barney Kessel just voice and guitar a perfect harmony. Joni Mitchell is just a wonderful talent a voice with such a range and clarity,her song writing is superb and her guitar open chordings to die for. She can play the dulcimer too!

I heard her sing Amelia on the radio just recently , wonderful song. Catch it again if you can.

• 2 months later...

Nice selection. But if I had my choice it would be between three fantastic ladies who can really belt it out.

1. Most definitely Linda Ronstadt. An original of rock if ever there was one. It would be too much fun performing on stage with her.

2. Anne Wilson. She just has that voice for blues/rock, nothing to prove. Any chic that can belt out Led Zep is alright in my book.

3. And last but most certainly not least.......Bett Midler. I know, odd choice, but that lady, live, just wails!

She is without a doubt, Janis re-animated!

Ah...dreaming.

Interesting how women in music are typecast as fit to serve primarily as singers.

I'd say Nancy Wilson, because she plays a mean guitar and is cool as all funk. I don't need a lead vocalist, I do fine on my own, thanks. Failing that, maybe Kim Gordon or the Deal sisters.

Archived