Gibson Brands Forums

LP 70s Tribute

SOVA_2014

Hi, I wanted to ask who else has the LP 70s Tribute with the Vintage Finish? (Please if you hate this particular LP and you own a $6k one don't vent here. I'd like to communicate with those who own/owned one, thanks.) Do you like it? What don't you like? Any issues? This isn't the Studio btw. I'm new to Gibson products though of course I've been exposed to them like most of us. I saw the ad from 2013 regarding the Tribute series and liked the idea of the 70s model. I think they are discontinued??? I bought my guitar from Amazon after checking with Gibson to make sure Amazon was a legit dealer. I figured they were but better to check. I unboxed my guitar yesterday. I have to say I was impressed by the fit and the finish compared to the LPJ stain finish I saw at Guitar Center. I considered those but glad I saw them in person. They had damage hanging on the rack. Why did I buy it from Amazon? I'm left handed and Amazon was the only place to have it. I'm sure I paid too much but such is being left handed. I bought new because I wanted the warranty. The only thing I see that's not up to snuff are the witch hat controls. They wobble or look like it and you can see the set nut for the pot on three of them. Not a huge thing but it doesn't follow the care they took with the rest of the instrument. It sounds awesome and is setup great. That's despite its been in that box for 20 months and traveled one and half the distance of the US. It was made in December 2012! It got out of that box yesterday. I guess it was meant that I have it. I was impressed with the gig bag although I still think it should have come with a hard case. Some say they don't like the finish, but I think I like the satin finish better than the really glossy one. I like the simple look.

So tell me about your LP 70s Tribute.

Hi, I wanted to ask who else has the LP 70s Tribute with the Vintage Finish? (Please if you hate this particular LP and you own a $6k one don't vent here. I'd like to communicate with those who own/owned one, thanks.) Do you like it? What don't you like? Any issues? This isn't the Studio btw. I'm new to Gibson products though of course I've been exposed to them like most of us. I saw the ad from 2013 regarding the Tribute series and liked the idea of the 70s model. I think they are discontinued??? I bought my guitar from Amazon after checking with Gibson to make sure Amazon was a legit dealer. I figured they were but better to check. I unboxed my guitar yesterday. I have to say I was impressed by the fit and the finish compared to the LPJ stain finish I saw at Guitar Center. I considered those but glad I saw them in person. They had damage hanging on the rack. Why did I buy it from Amazon? I'm left handed and Amazon was the only place to have it. I'm sure I paid too much but such is being left handed. I bought new because I wanted the warranty. The only thing I see that's not up to snuff are the witch hat controls. They wobble or look like it and you can see the set nut for the pot on three of them. Not a huge thing but it doesn't follow the care they took with the rest of the instrument. It sounds awesome and is setup great. That's despite its been in that box for 20 months and traveled one and half the distance of the US. It was made in December 2012! It got out of that box yesterday. I guess it was meant that I have it. I was impressed with the gig bag although I still think it should have come with a hard case. Some say they don't like the finish, but I think I like the satin finish better than the really glossy one. I like the simple look.

So tell me about your LP 70s Tribute.

if there is enough thread on the pots you can lower them down into the body a little more, I had to do it on one of my les pauls.

Where's the pics????

Lets see the NGD!!

I have a '50's Tribute LP Studio, with P90's...I took some time to set it up just right and it just sings. You are right that some people look down on the Studios, but they are real PLAYERS' guitars...and I like the plain ones, too.

Mine is Honeyburst, and I hand buffed the top using an old cotton tee shirt and mag wheel polish.

DSCN0532_zpsb9bd3640.jpg

It's a beautiful guitar, very good neck, and a great player...and I have owned some of the "classics" to compare it to. They certainly hold their own.

And they DO deserve a real hard case.

Sorry, SOVA, have to vent here I don't own one... ;) Seriously, Les Paul and SG Tribute models are great and indeed a bang for the buck. I would have wanted one 70s model each, but then came the SG Supra and ate up all of my budget. I frankly confess that I am addicted to piezo solidbodies. [biggrin]

By the way, the SG Supra came with Witch Hat Knobs like the 70s Tributes, and I don't have a problem with them. I switched from Top Hats and Reflectors to Speed Knobs on all of my guitars and basses. On push/pull pots, they allow for easier pulling without marring finish.

If someone doesn't need high gloss look and feel, and in case of SGs prefers two more frets over a plastic cover, the Tributes are the real deal. However, I would buy an extra hardcase. The Tributes truly deserve it. [thumbup]

Sadly you are right, they don't make them anymore. But who knows what will happen after the Anniversary year? Perhaps 2015 will become the next Tribute year - this would be great. B)

I've attached some pics here. My best effort but I think it still looks better in person. I really like the simple clean look. What is the difference in the finish on the 70s Tribute and Studio 70s Tribute? I am going to get a hard case for it.

post-66846-048589200 1407530287_thumb.jpg

post-66846-084785700 1407530326_thumb.jpg

post-66846-043168000 1407530404_thumb.jpg

post-66846-009728100 1407530439_thumb.jpg

post-66846-002021700 1407530888_thumb.jpg

I've attached some pics here. My best effort but I think it still looks better in person. I really like the simple clean look. What is the difference in the finish on the 70s Tribute and Studio 70s Tribute? I am going to get a hard case for it.

I dig studios. I've owned them even though I don't have one at the moment - yours is a very fine one! Except that everything is backwards :)

Guest Farnsbarns

[scared] I'm afraid that's an obvious fake. It's backwards! [biggrin]

Nice guitar [thumbup]

Archived