Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a joke?

rbpicker

I saw this on Elderly web site a few days ago. Martin have build several 'Gibson s' lately.

CEO 4 and 5 and 7 and now this.

If you want a J-200, buy a Gibson and save a wad.

This looks like the "Purple Martin" model. Supposedly, Martin only makes about a hundred of these at a time. I saw one in one of their advertising phamplets at my local guitar store. And the price was about $8000. Personally, I like my DIF better and it was thousands cheaper. But then again, I'm not a Martin person.

In 1986 a friend approached me with his cheapo solid body electric and asked if I'd fix it up for him. It was a typical late 60s Teisco type thing. It was beat to crap and only half worked.

TRUTH is, I repainted it black, put a better pickup and tuners on it, and it was done.

At the same time I had an identical Teisco thing in the junk pile. I also repainted this one black. I then decoupaged a centerfold from Hustler magazine of a 350 lb blonde in a 'wide open' pose on the back and added some 'stains' concocted from watered down white latex paint (use your imagination). His nickname was Huck because when I first met him he had on a straw cowboy hat and a piece of timothy grass in his mouth and looked to me like Huck Finn. So I used small mailbox letters and lettered the fingerboard "HUCK THE F***".

We got together for a jam session and he was presented with his 'rebuilt' guitar with the fat naked chick, stains, and lettering. His jaw dropped and we all had a thunderous laugh.

After a few minutes of watching him squirm and get redder in the face, we gave him his 'real' guitar and all was well.

It was an elaborate hoax that took a LOT of work and a payoff that only lasted a few minutes. Once the laughter died down, it barely seemed worth the effort. That's how I feel about this Martin.

I saw this over on the Martin forum and if this is supposed to be a serious guitar then truth be told I just don't get it. If its a one off tongue in cheek stab at Gibson then OK because to me this is like a bad overseas copy of a Gibson J-200 that says Garbsin on the headstock and tries to mash every Gibson visual cliche into one guitar. I get that the Hummingbird copies the body shape of the D-18 but the copy ends there. The Hummingbird has a totally different aesthetic with its large pickguard and sunburst. Nine large sure is a lot of money for a joke but there are always people with more money than sense.

1407591611[/url]' post='1551040']

I saw this over on the Martin forum and if this is supposed to be a serious guitar then truth be told I just don't get it. If its a one off tongue in cheek stab at Gibson then OK because to me this is like a bad overseas copy of a Gibson J-200 that says Garbsin on the headstock and tries to mash every Gibson visual cliche into one guitar. I get that the Hummingbird copies the body shape of the D-18 but the copy ends there. The Hummingbird has a totally different aesthetic with its large pickguard and sunburst. Nine large sure is a lot of money for a joke but there are always people with more money than sense.

I have more money than sense.Unfortunately....Very Little Money !

This is definitely one for the die-hard Martin fan who wants something different.

Interestingly, the hourglass headstock says Epiphone more than anything else,

and imho, that's exactly what it imparts visually > Inexpensive Asian knock off.

Nothing wrong with that & kinda fun overall,

but how about a good old Gibson lawsuit to spice things up?

I have played the CEO7 and while there may be some humour, it is a really serious guitar!

I haven't seen/played the others.

If I didn't have a shed load of mahogany guitars, I would get a CEO7....I may just do that when someone breaks in the Adi top and gets sick of it......just how I like 'em....

BluesKing777.

Archived