Gibson Brands Forums

Orville by gibson trade

Morgancolgrave

I've been offered a trade.

2012 gibson USA les Paul junior p90. Plays great haven't bonded with the p90s yet

For

1994 Orville by gibson Japan standard. Looks great.

I'm sure the Orville is great - what about resale values? I'd like to hang onto the gibson, but am I silly for passing up the Orville by gibson?

Opinions?

Hello!

I am not sure if it's correct from me to make any comments on this, but allow me to share what I think.

I'd stick to the Gibson.

The Orvilles (at least those I have seen) are beautiful instruments, and I've also heard that the quality of those are just as good as a Gibson's. Probably, that's the reason they are usually offered for sale at a relatively high price. However, the actual selling price is what really matters - not what people ask for them.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I am not sure if it's correct from me to make any comments on this, but allow me to share what I think.

I'd stick to the Gibson.

The Orvilles (at least those I have seen) are beautiful instruments, and I've also heard that the quality of those are just as good as a Gibson's. Probably, that's the reason they are usually offered for sale at a relatively high price. However, the actual selling price is what really matters - not what people ask for them.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks mate, good to hear stick with gibson...

Will be interested to hear other opinions.

Guest Farnsbarns

The fact that you're here asking almost answers your question. You'll have to deal with the same doubts when you come to sell it. That and the fact the Orville was a licensed product, not a Gibson. In theory the Gibson is the better guitar.

The fact that you're here asking almost answers your question. You'll have to deal with the same doubts when you come to sell it. That and the fact the Orville was a licensed product, not a Gibson. In theory the Gibson is the better guitar.

Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like I'm keeping the Gibby.

Play the guitar and if it speaks to you and feels like a dream in your hands then your mind will be made up for you...

I've done alot of research on Orville's lately. They are like super high end Japanese made Epiphone. They were Gibson's first Pacific rim licensed product manufactured outside the states. A number of them; Customs and some '59 reissues hold their value very well and are quite sought after and can go for nearly 1/2 of what a new LP standard goes for...

They are pretty popular in Japan and many international sellers in Tokyo, HIroshima, etc. are shipping to the states for $140 or $150 shipping on top of a $699 - $799 price tag right now, used...

They are pretty high quality and I'd certainly consider buying one or trading for one if the right deal came along...

I've been keeping my eyes open for an Orville LP Custom at the right deal... A number of them came with Ebony fretboards too...

Lots of models and configurations to choose from!

Nothing wrong with an Orville!

...Ehhhh.

If you think there's going to be any real difference in playability, the good news is there really isn't. Not between an Orville and a current Gibson USA, and also not between an Orville or current Gibson USA and a McCarty Gibson. The lack of nibs would be something that some might consider important, but the thing is, your Junior doesn't have binding anyway (nibs are very, very overrated, FYI).

How good an Orville is can sort of depend on where it was made, or so the story goes. I think Fugijen models are particularly prized. This is where mine was made. It feels the same as any of the Gibsons I've owned or played, really. The neck profile is pretty good. A bit like a deeper 60s neck. Kind of V shaped, but kind of thick. It's the most comfortable neck I've got.

Fujigen Orvilles, at the very least, have the mythical long tenon, if that's important to you, but, if you want to know a little secret, it does about as much for the instrument's sound as the colour of the clouds on any given day. I suppose it might add a wee bit of strength to the glue joint. As much as a sliver can do, I guess.

Resale value is a fickle kind of thing. I'm kind of pissed that people have caught on to Japanese Les Pauls, because prices on Orvilles have been going up a fair bit in the last couple of years. I couldn't get one today for the same price as I got mine last year. I'd be paying a couple hundred more, easy. The whole concept of resale value is pretty silly anyway. Guitars are for playing, not investing. That's what stocks are for.

If you want the Orville, get the Orville. If you like the Gibson, keep the Gibson. The only way you'd be silly for passing up the Orville is if it's a better fit for you.

Actually, given the rise in prices on Japanese Les Pauls, and my particular taste in them, could you do me a favour and keep the Gibson, and spread nasty rumours about the Japanese guitars being crap? That'd be great.

Archived