Gibson Brands Forums

What Amp Do You Like To Pair With Your LP??

ufboy73

I am close to pulling the trigger on either a "57Vos or a Harrison Les Paul (basically, a variation on the '57). Ive been pretty much a fender guy in the past and was wondering what Amp's you feel really complete and compliment the Les Paul??

I have a Fender Tweed right now - that I LOVE with my Strats but am wondering if this might to be too...'warm' or midey with a Les Paul?? Once I get the guitar I will of course try it with my tweed but just looking to get a little heads up on what to expect and start getting some ideas on what another amp could provide with the les paul that would be different than the tweed.

Any thoughts greatly apprectiated.

thanks!!!

Any good tube amp =)

It works (to me) like that: Good amps sound good both with Humbuckers and Single-coils. Good guitars should sound good both clean and overdriven (though the amout of drive they can take really depends).

People keep *****ing about Gibson/Marhsall and Fender/Fender. I just love a good LP through a good Fender, Vox, Marshall, boutique amps. And I just love a good Fender through a good Marshall, Vox, Fender, boutique amps...

Good amp + good guitar = awesome tone, if the player has got the balls.

Some examples:

Rory Gallagher - Strat with Vox = DIEHARD rocking dirty tone.

Hendrix - Strat and Marshalls

Clapton (Cream and Bluesbreakers eras) - LPs, SGs and 335s with Marshalls.

Clapton (all eras) - dozens of different guitars through dozens of different amps.

SRV - Strats and some 335s with both Marshalls and Fender depending on the year.

Beatles - Loads and loads of different (and strange) guitars through loads and loads of amplifiers.

guitar slinger,

thanks - perhaps my tweed twin will go with it then - it would be nice if it does, as i'd really prefer one amp that can fit all my guitars!

i find it interesting that, historically, there are a lot of examples of fender going through marshall or vox...but i really dont know of that many examples of les pauls going thru fender amps

Any good tube amp =)

It works (to me) like that: Good amps sound good both with Humbuckers and Single-coils. Good guitars should sound good both clean and overdriven (though the amout of drive they can take really depends).

People keep *****ing about Gibson/Marhsall and Fender/Fender. I just love a good LP through a good Fender' date=' Vox, Marshall, boutique amps. And I just love a good Fender through a good Marshall, Vox, Fender, boutique amps...

Good amp + good guitar = awesome tone, if the player has got the balls.[/quote']

+1

With my band, I use a Mesa Stiletto (kind of like a hot rod Marshall... in a roundabout kind of way) and, at home, I play through an old Fender Champ. I've used several other amps with my LP over the years including a Peavey Rockmaster preamp/Classic 60 power amp rack, Marshall Microstack, Fender Blues Junior and a Fender Bassman. Might have been a couple of others over the years that I don't recall.

Ive posted this before but here goes...

I have always loved Orange amps. A beautiful rock n roll amp that when pushed into tube saturation is tonal bliss!

The clean channel is nice as well. I love a bit of reverb, and that there too.

The Leslie 122...Mix a little Orange and a little Leslie together and its Abbey Road right here in Stoney Creek!

I no longer amp shop. I have what I want.

Note...In the picture the Orange and the Leslie are side by side. But I usually keep them about 30 feet apart while using them together. It really fills not only the room, but the whole house with sound. lol

L122ORV.jpg

deepblue,

i have heard about orange amps before but dont really know anything about them. how would you describe their characteristic sound? more like marshall than tweeds?

any particular models that would be good for tube sounds at home volumes?

also, how do you like your hotplate? i have been thinking about getting one for my tweed (to get natural overdrive at lower volumes) but am worried about losing tone?

guitar slinger' date='

thanks - perhaps my tweed twin will go with it then - it would be nice if it does, as i'd really prefer one amp that can fit all my guitars!

i find it interesting that, historically, there are a lot of examples of fender going through marshall or vox...but i really dont know of that many examples of les pauls going thru fender amps[/quote']

You kidding??? You are gonna sound FRIGGIN AWESOME through a tweed twin if you got the balls =)

There is Quack and a Twang when you plug a Lester through a Fender that is just breathtaking. I never had a Twin, but I do have a Bassman and a Champ. The tone is granted to be nice =)

And there are many many historic examples of LPs through Fenders as well. Thre is Clapton, Gerge Harrison, Billy Gibbons, Keith Richards and many others. I'm having a hard time to remember more people it right now, but it's granted that many people have done that.

ufboy & Guitar Slinger...

I found the Orange to be darker then a Marshall. Really hits you in the gut, but in a good way.

The one I chose was the Rockerverb50. It has a 2 stage clean channel, and a 4 stage dirty channel.

It uses 4, 6V6 power tubes and 3, 12AX7's in the pre-amp stage. I like the 6V6's better then EL34's I find the sound to be more of a classic rock tone. EL34's are too harsh and too over the top...again, just my opinion. Alot of guys like the EL's, and more power to them.

I like Marshall. In fact I have a 50w combo thats easy to lug around and does a great job. The only problem I have with Marshalls is that to me..again I said TO ME, they have a very generic sound. I compare a distorted Marshall sound to a bucket of ball bearings being dumped onto a snare drum. That drone type of sound. Some guys dig it...and although some guys swear by Marshall its not a sound id like for my own.

The THD Hotplate lets me take full advantage of the Orange at total saturation, only brings it down to a more acceptable listening level. As I have said before, one of the best purchases I have ever made equipment wise.

Check out an Orange. They are well built and really come with Mojo intact. They arent cheap but....well you know the rest.

If you can try out a Mesa Express 5/50 in a quiet environment you will find you can extract a wide range of tones - it's not easy but once you dial it in it's great. I find it's more about what pickup you pair with the amp.

I also have a Budda Superdrive and it loves LPs.

My least favorite amp is my Marshall JCM2000.

I am close to pulling the trigger on either a "57Vos or a Harrison Les Paul (basically' date=' a variation on the '57). Ive been pretty much a fender guy in the past and was wondering what Amp's you feel really complete and compliment the Les Paul??

I have a Fender Tweed right now - that I LOVE with my Strats but am wondering if this might to be too...'warm' or midey with a Les Paul?? Once I get the guitar I will of course try it with my tweed but just looking to get a little heads up on what to expect and start getting some ideas on what another amp could provide with the les paul that would be different than the tweed.

Any thoughts greatly apprectiated.

thanks!!![/quote']

only you can answer this question. take the lp to some stores and try some amps.

thats the only way to be sure you like what you hear.

also if your just playing around the house a big tube amp is going to be a big waste of expense.

if you can't turn it past- 1/2

only you can answer this question. take the lp to some stores and try some amps.

thats the only way to be sure you like what you hear.

+1

You've already heard one say they least like their JCM2000. Now, I'll tell you that I'd tried these amps before bying my TSL 100: Orange AD30TC Combo, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Vox AC30CC2, Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider Valve 212, Fender DeVille 410, etc.. I almost bought the DeVille before I heard the sound my Marshall made.

You see, it comes down to the ear of the listener. Even though I never hardly get my amp above a 2 level, I love the way this 4 speaker rig sounds even though my head and speakers aren't being pushed hard. One of my favorite leads was Larry Carlton playing a GIBSON ES335 through a Fender Tweed (on a low setting) on the song in my Sig, "Don't Take Me Alive." *giving best Baretta imitation* And you can take that to da bank.

Archived