Gibson Brands Forums

Question from a New Gibson owner

GeordiLaforge

Hay everyone, Im new here so I don't know if this is the right place to post this so if its wrong I apologize. I just bought my first Gibson (SG Special Faded) and I noticed that there is an extreme dip in the note when the neck is pushed forward when playing, My other guitars do this too but not as extreme. Is this a problem or is it normal? I also was wondering if there is a place to buy the new bridge style like on the Dark Fire guitar?

It is normal on SG's, but not advised. Because of the thin wood/set neck construction/neck joint being thin, you could be bending it one day just a bit to hard and "CRACK! Expensive repair, here I come!" As for the Dark Fire bridge, I assume your talking about the Piezo? The acoustic bridge? Type in Fishman Piezo into Google, and you can find one for a reasonable price. I think it will require some wood routing for the wires though. And enjoy your SG, my Faded's been serving me faithfully since September with no problems!

It is normal on SG's' date=' but not advised. Because of the thin wood/set neck construction/neck joint being thin, you could be bending it one day just a bit to hard and "CRACK! Expensive repair, here I come!" As for the Dark Fire bridge, I assume your talking about the Piezo? The acoustic bridge? Type in Fishman Piezo into Google, and you can find one for a reasonable price. I think it will require some wood routing for the wires though. And enjoy your SG, my Faded's been serving me faithfully since September with no problems![/quote']

Thanks man, I don't purposly bend the neck for like a whammy effect, just found out by accident, thanks for th ehelp.

The problem with a piezo setup is the room needed for the preamp and battery. Not to mention the cost of the bridge, the preamp, the special pot needed to control and blend, and the cost of installation. You could cut costs by installing them yourself.

If you follow through, come back and let us know how it works.

Archived