Gibson Brands Forums

The Epiphone LP that may as well be a Gibson

Rabs

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Shawn, you did a great job there, looks like better than new again.

By the way the inlay material is listed as "pearloid" which I am pretty sure is an acrylic plastic that's mixed to look like mother of pearl. But it doesn't really, so not sure why anybody would be fooled. Ken

Yeah that's what I thought on the pearloid which is probably why I didn't really want him to touch my guitar.

I put some Gibson Brite Wires in 10's on it and I think it sounds much better. The volume seemed low on the single coil bridge setting before but now it's got much more twang.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn, you did a great job there, looks like better than new again.

By the way the inlay material is listed as "pearloid" which I am pretty sure is an acrylic plastic that's mixed to look like mother of pearl. But it doesn't really, so not sure why anybody would be fooled. Ken

The only thing I don't dig is the gold bits.. apart from that, that's a real purrdy geetar [thumbup]

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/epiphone_lee_malia_signature_les_paul_custom_artisan-epienlcwlgh3.asp

Epiphone Lee Malia Signature Les Paul Custom Artisan

£599.00

Epiphone Lee Malia Signature Les Paul Custom Artisan Features:

•Designed in cooperation with guitarist Lee Malia of the award winning British metalcore band 'bring me the horizon'

•Gorgeous 'Artisan' appointments with updated electronics for todays modern player

•Gibson USA P-94 pickup in the neck position for FAT single coil tone

•Custom-made Gibson USA 84T-LM in the bridge position for powerful crunch tone with amazing clarity

•Coil-tapping on bridge humbucker for a wide variety of sonic combinations

•'1959' round 'C' profile Mahogany neck with Rosewood fingerboard

•Includes classic metal 'tulip' tuners and epiphone straplocks

N_031114C41_zpsb75b66d5.jpg

epiphone-lee-malia-les-paul-custom-artisan-21_zps8ef98729.jpg

epiphone-lee-malia-les-paul-custom-artisan-31_zps309d7b8e.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I have to say I actually like the Gold appointments.

I've had a couple pieces I was gassing for...

...not in stock, wanna pre-pay for when they show up?

No.

But that'll guarantee you get one when it's in...

No.

m

You can't sell me something you don't have.

I'm glad to talk about a guitar that isn't here with money that isn't here though.

I honestly don't think there are any more in this country. I think the guitars that were made are it. I can't see Epiphone tooling up again to satisfy a few buyers. There seams to be some in Europe and Japan. If there are any overstock they may see there way over here.

I honestly don't think there are any more in this country. I think the guitars that were made are it. I can't see Epiphone tooling up again to satisfy a few buyers. There seams to be some in Europe and Japan. If there are any overstock they may see there way over here.

That would be nice, but I don't think so. If you look at the NAMM booth photos you can see the Lee Malia is hung on the top row, also it's in the 2015 spring catalog. NAMM is used specifically to get dealers to order stock of new models.

My feeling is that the models earmarked for the US (maybe 400 guitars?) are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere with "inspected in the USA" stickers on the back of the headstock. They will be sold here or online eventually.

My prediction is that in about 15 years these will be just about as rare as real 78-83 Artisans are currently. Ken

I think if we see Guitar Center stock them with stock numbers, then there are more around in this country. I do feel they will be collectable also..It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds this year. If I were a betting person I would bet only about 25 or so have been delivered to pre-order people here in this country. Sam Ash only had about 5-7 of them. GC only had 4-5 preorders through out the country. And the 7 or so on EBAY (where ever those came from)????? Interesting little guitar though.................

Steve

I think if we see Guitar Center stock them with stock numbers, then there are more around in this country. I do feel they will be collectable also..It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds this year. If I were a betting person I would bet only about 25 or so have been delivered to pre-order people here in this country. Sam Ash only had about 5-7 of them. GC only had 4-5 preorders through out the country. And the 7 or so on EBAY (where ever those came from)????? Interesting little guitar though.................

Steve

There's one on the floor at Bret Murdock Music in Orem, Utah. They are asking $849 for it. So there's another one.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33174166&cat=&lpid=&search=lee%20malia&ad_cid=1

There's one on the floor at Bret Murdock Music in Orem, Utah. They are asking $849 for it. So there's another one.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33174166&cat=&lpid=&search=lee%20malia&ad_cid=1

This one has been online for about a month. $899 plus shipping.

https://reverb.com/item/406534-epiphone-lee-malia-les-paul-custom-artisan-lp-limited-ed-vintage-walnut-w-hardshell-case

Seems they're ending up in small shops and not the big resellers.

Shawn

Greeting gents! Bud here from Vancouver Canada and I too have purchased the new LP Custom Artisan. I've had mine on order since last summer, just as soon as they were able take an order for one. My guitar follows the exact same serial number sequence listed in this thread and mine is unit # 00907. According to my dealer Long & McQuade in Surrey, BC, it is the very first one they've landed in Canada, and that includes all their Canadian dealers, mine was first to arrive. It may not be the first to come into Canada via another dealer but through Long & McQuade's channels it is.

It survived our first band practice last night and it lives! The tonal versatility is very good but my only two grumblings are frets that were not really smooth at all, and a stiff pickup selector switch. I'll have a smooth Switchcraft model put in with a fret buffing and that should do it! It really is a great Les Paul I'll enjoy for many years to come.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered mine through a local shop, Guitar Czar in Salt Lake City, and its going to take about two months to get in. Robby, the guy who ordered for me, said that is was because they were still building them which is making me wonder if they are producing more or just got behind on the original production run.

I just ordered mine through a local shop, Guitar Czar in Salt Lake City, and its going to take about two months to get in. Robby, the guy who ordered for me, said that is was because they were still building them which is making me wonder if they are producing more or just got behind on the original production run.

it's a current production model so they'll probably be making them all year.

• 3 weeks later...

Please forgive me, but I can't quite agree with the heading of this thread. While it does have many beautiful appointments, much of them are cosmetic appointments, and not the type of appointments that improve the quality/playability of the guitar as a whole. If you look at the 1960 tribute plus, the Bonamassa, or the Slash models, you'll find significant appointments such as vintage deep set neck, orange drop or Mallory caps, switchcraft or CTS accessories, etc. Things that make a real difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Epiphone is still producing and shipping the Lee Malia signature LP. I pre-ordered one on 4/12 and they're slating 5/23 as the ship date. Ironically, zzounds website says that they are expecting them to be in stock on 5/6/15, although I have a feeling there won't be too many in stock. It seems like they're producing them in small waves.

Epiphone is still producing and shipping the Lee Malia signature LP. I pre-ordered one on 4/12 and they're slating 5/23 as the ship date. Ironically, zzounds website says that they are expecting them to be in stock on 5/6/15, although I have a feeling there won't be too many in stock. It seems like they're producing them in small waves.

Wow, that's great news, hope your Lee Malia arrives early and we can see some pictures. Yours will probably be from the second production run, Dec 2014, but they still might have new ones left over from the August 2014 manufacturing run. They are all made in the same factory so it doesn't really matter.

My LM is my favored daily player these days. Welcome (in advance) to the Epiphone Lee Malia Signature Limited Edition Artisan Custom Les Paul Club!

Ken

p.s. just wanted to politely point out you didn't use the word "ironic" correctly (a la that dumb Alanis Morissette song). Other than that, great first post!

I'm pretty sure these are in production for 2015 and there's no "1st" or "2nd" run only produced in 2014

I don't have any inside info, I was just going by posted serial numbers by various owners. So far all have been 1408 except in recent weeks I have seen a posted 1412 serial number. You can draw your own conclusion from that.

In other related news, SamAsh.com (where I got mine) is now showing "In Stock" on the Lee Malia Sig. People who have these backordered should be seeing them fairly soon I would hope.

Ken

I can only voice my opinion on the one I have which was one of the first ones in this country. It is a fantastic guitar. I could about guarantee that if it had the Gibson label on it you not know it was not one. Honestly it rivals my Gibsons.

Only one minor problem I had corrected was to dress/taper the ends of the frets. They were way to sharp for me. The repair guy told me he had seen worse on other guitars, not necessarily the Lee Malia's but guitars in general. I told him I had seen better and I wanted them fixed. Took a few days to get authorization, but it is much more to my liking now...........

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Had mine ordered a few months back, picked it up about a week ago. Outside of a loose input jack (which the shop fixed on the spot) I have nothing but great things to say about this guitar. And the lower you tune it, the better it sounds! D drop C is my tuning of choice with it. Amazing sound, I just love the damn thing. Plus it is simply gorgeous. Clip of it being played:https://www.facebook.com/corey.mccumber/videos/10153629451463081/?l=5506432237210190778

post-70861-083660300 1439850109_thumb.jpg

Archived