Gibson Brands Forums

flying with guitar

kelly campbell

Well this last time it was family vacation and we had to check luggage, so we had to go up to the counter. I can see how if I just carried on, I'd go straight to the security line and likely gate check. I'll keep that in mind this winter when we travel.

@Kingme - bringing all of our stuff up to the counter, no way to avoid the agent seeing the guitar and she brought it up. The last thing I want to do is raise a stink at the airport with the family in tow but I tried to be professional in expressing my unhappiness with the situation. I don't think the agent really cared.

If you're within the US, Section 403 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act states that airlines cannot force you to check in a musical instruments (specifies a guitar) provided that there is room in the overhead or as people have mentioned at the gate. When I traveled with a strat, I had it in a gig bag and it fit easily in the overhead. There was no question about taking it with me as a carry on, but I did print a copy of the amendment to reference just in case I did.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr658enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr658enr.pdf

I flew from Newark to Athens on United a few months ago with my J-50 in the checked luggage in a Hiscox Pro II case. http://www.hiscoxcases.com/our-cases.htm No problems at all. These cases are really nice and inspiree a lot of confidence, I would do it again without thinking twice. And it didn't cost $1000, only $250 from Elderly Instruments. I cut down a TSA luggage strap and used it to lock the case. The lock has an LED that lights if the TSA opens the case - they did not. I did not put anything in the case but the guitar itself, so there wouldn't be anything "suspicious" that might make them want to open it. I also used bubble wrap to further protect the guitar inside the case.

Now this was a 2008 J-50 though, not sure if I would be comfortable bringing an older, more fragile instrument, although it probably would be fine.

case04.jpg

case06.jpg

I flew from Newark to Athens on United a few months ago with my J-50 in the checked luggage in a Hiscox Pro II case. http://www.hiscoxcases.com/our-cases.htm No problems at all. These cases are really nice and inspiree a lot of confidence, I would do it again without thinking twice. And it didn't cost $1000, only $250 from Elderly Instruments. I cut down a TSA luggage strap and used it to lock the case. The lock has an LED that lights if the TSA opens the case - they did not. I did not put anything in the case but the guitar itself, so there wouldn't be anything "suspicious" that might make them want to open it. I also used bubble wrap to further protect the guitar inside the case.

Now this was a 2008 J-50 though, not sure if I would be comfortable bringing an older, more fragile instrument, although it probably would be fine.

case04.jpg

Bubble wrap against a nitro guitar is not al all advised. Use a cotton towel or some t=shirts, but not bubble wrap.

A small cautionary word - don't leave a Humidipak in the guitar or case. Apparently looks like plastic explosive to the TSA machines. Well, it is a gel, and no, don't ask me how I know this...

If you're within the US, Section 403 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act states that airlines cannot force you to check in a musical instruments (specifies a guitar) provided that there is room in the overhead or as people have mentioned at the gate. When I traveled with a strat, I had it in a gig bag and it fit easily in the overhead. There was no question about taking it with me as a carry on, but I did print a copy of the amendment to reference just in case I did.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr658enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr658enr.pdf

This is good - I guess I'll pack a copy of section 403 in my backpack just in case. I won't mention the guitar next time when I check in either. Thanks to all who replied!

Bubble wrap against a nitro guitar is not al all advised. Use a cotton towel or some t=shirts, but not bubble wrap.

There were no problems. The bubble wrap was only on the guitar for 24 hours or less, I stored it separately when I reached my destination. I think bubble wrap would be much more effective at cushioning a sudden impact, like a drop of several meters, as opposed to towels which are rather dense.

When my son travels with his trombone, he puts on a suit coat and tie and asks the flight attendant if they can put his trombone in the closet. He says it works almost every time; but it does not work is he is dressed in casual close.

There were no problems. The bubble wrap was only on the guitar for 24 hours or less, I stored it separately when I reached my destination. I think bubble wrap would be much more effective at cushioning a sudden impact, like a drop of several meters, as opposed to towels which are rather dense.

I've seen pictures that seem to inicate the contray:

http://forum.reverendguitars.com/topic11750_page6&get=last.html

Kelly, some people will ship their guitar(s) to Music Villa before the Homecoming and then pick them up when they get in town. Haven't heard of any problems doing that yet. If you're interested in doing that, give MV a call.

Cool thanks for the idea, I like that better already... [smile]

Archived