Gibson Brands Forums

Best strings for Sorrento?

donaldmoon

Hi, everyone, I'm new here but I've played Epiphones on and off over my life. Learned on a "Harry Volpe" model, even. (Mid 60's.) Now I've a new Sorrento. Help!

For a long time it's only been my Guild D40, on which I put Martin Marquis lightgauge strings. (Certainly not for the Sorrento, lol.) I like the strings that came on my Sorrento reissue, but haven't a clue as to what they are. What, in your opinion would the best bet for some new replacement ones?

Based on some forum info, it sounds like the 10- sized set would be alright. But I have a problem with my left hand -- it's kinda stiff due to arthritus -- so I'd like the easiest set to chord with. (I set my strings as low as possible.) I don't do any lead guitar, so it's rhythm guitar I be a playin'. (Thanks, Neil!)

So, if 10- is a good start, which of the hundreds of sets to experiment with? I've heard the "elixar polywebs" last forever, which would be nice as my body chemistry is just right to rust strings, & watches, & knives, etc. Has anyone tried the "reissue" strings? Can you buy a single set of these? I've heard that many guitarists like Ernie Ball. I wonder which of them would be the best rust resistant choice?

I don't mind paying more and buying more than one kind to try out. (That's part of the process. I'm just trying to shorten it.) I'm sure that you've seen this question before, so please excuse me. I do appreciate your help. --donaldmoon PS: Nice to meetcha!

Hello Donald, welcome aboard. If you want to go lighter than 10's you can by all means go to 9's, or even lighter if you want. I use 10's on all my electrics whether they are 24.75" or 25.5". I do find 9's on a 24.75" a bit loose but it's only a matter of getting used to the feel.

Elixers sound good and potentially last longer. My Alien-like sweat will corrode anything, and Elixers aren't stainless so don't expect miracles. But I am now putting them on my guitars, having had people ask me to put them on ones I've been working on.

I just switched to the coated Ernie Ball Slinkys and they seem to be holding up better than the regular ones. I'm using 9s on my SG type guitars and Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms on my ESP. They're quite a bit cheaper than the Elixirs. I never liked the tone of the Elixirs on acoustic guitars, but I've never tried an electric set. From what I've heard, most people really like them.

HI, again! I found Polywebs online & ordered a 9- & also a 10- set. Think I'll start with the 10's. I don't really enjoy changing strings that much, but this will be interesting. I've been putting off resetting the bridge and now is the time. I'm another who's taken up guitar again, after about 20 yrs, and I'm lovin' it.

This time around it's back to electric ... Found a bunch of Epiphone amps for very reasonable money and I'm having a good time of it. Only wish I could buy some Epi pedals; but pedals cost more than amps these days. Exception: I'm putting my new Morley ABC box to good use! --Thanks for the advice, Donald in Memphis

PS: If anyone's looking for a deal, Epi amps are available. I got an almost-new Triggerman 60DSP for $100 from GC. I'm running the output to a Kustom speaker cab & I like it, even if there's no way to control the effects and it weighs a ton. But actually the best deal was a little Studio 15R, which I'm mixing with a 15B & a 15C. Yes, I am out of control at this point ... --dm

HI, again! I found Polywebs online & ordered a 9- & also a 10- set. Think I'll start with the 10's. I don't really enjoy changing strings that much, but this will be interesting. I've been putting off resetting the bridge and now is the time. I'm another who's taken up guitar again, after about 20 yrs, and I'm lovin' it.

This time around it's back to electric ... Found a bunch of Epiphone amps for very reasonable money and I'm having a good time of it. Only wish I could buy some Epi pedals; but pedals cost more than amps these days. Exception: I'm putting my new Morley ABC box to good use! --Thanks for the advice, Donald in Memphis

PS: If anyone's looking for a deal, Epi amps are available. I got an almost-new Triggerman 60DSP for $100 from GC. I'm running the output to a Kustom speaker cab & I like it, even if there's no way to control the effects and it weighs a ton. But actually the best deal was a little Studio 15R, which I'm mixing with a 15B & a 15C. Yes, I am out of control at this point ... --dm

Good to hear you've gotten back into playing. I only played occasionally for the last 15 years, after playing quite a lot before that. I got back into it this year and I'm out of control too! So far this year I've built a custom Gibson SG, completely upgraded my old Epi G400, bought a Marshall tube amp, bought a Japanese model ESP with 24.75" neck scale and a Floyd Rose, and turned an old wall-hanger Fender acoustic into a lap slide guitar. If that's not enough, I renovated an entire bedroom into a dedicated guitar room. There is such a thing as a "healthy addiction"!

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest using a wound "G" string (.017) on your Sorrento.

Faded...

Archived