Gibson Brands Forums

The LPJ Club

CJ Smith

Nice LPJ, man. I like the mods. It's a good look for your guitar. I thought about changing the knobs on my guitar, too. How did you take the stock one off without breaking the pots?

Thanks a lot i´m glad you like it. Now it sounds and looks much better i think.

And the best way i found to pull the knobs of the pots was to push a cloth between body and knob twist it a litte so that it does not slip away, and then pull it slowly upwards. The important thing is to distribute the pressure equally under the knob, this way you dont bend or break the knob. Hope i explained it in a understandable way.

If not, or you don´t trust my method there are even tutorials on youtube.

Greets and cheers!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics, guys!

Todeshauch ---- how would you compare the Angus Young with the 498T (output, lows, mids, highs) ?

Mick ---- yes, the R&F product really put a nice luster on your LPJ.

crust ---- your LPJ looks great, but it is a little blurry; any chance of a re-do?

Ok, first i´d like to say am new with guitars and pickups, so don´t expect to much.

And maybe my amp is not the best for pickup tests at all, its an Orange Crush Pix 12L.

I´m waiting for the day that i finally can plug my LPJ into a big fat Marshall amp and hear her real voice.

From what i read the output of them is almost the same. The 498T should have a tiny bit more, and in my case i agree.

To lows,mids,highs i prefer not to say to much like i said i don´t feel ready to answer.

And i have to say that when i swapp´d the Pickups i adjusted everything else to, and that can change how my guitar sounds to.

To give you a honest answer i had to try both pickups with the same adjustments maybe record it and then compare.

All i can say is the Angus to my ears sounds less agressive. It has balls but with a vintage vibe.

It depends on what kind of music you wan´t to play with it for metal i would use the 498T.

But i find the AY more versatile.

Hi - had to delete the first picture to add this one - I've bluetacked a black pickguard on just to see what it looks like. I'm still considering chrome covers for pickups but I understand that's not as simple as it seems as the black covers have the fixing mounts on rather than the base plate. Another option I am going to try is to put chrome surrounds on with the black pup covers - I just got to get rid of that all black look.

Got to remove the picture as I need to upload another

Mick

Thanks a lot i´m glad you like it. Now it sounds and looks much better i think.

And the best way i found to pull the knobs of the pots was to push a cloth between body and knob twist it a litte so that it does not slip away, and then pull it slowly upwards. The important thing is to distribute the pressure equally under the knob, this way you dont bend or break the knob. Hope i explained it in a understandable way.

If not, or you don´t trust my method there are even tutorials on youtube.

Greets and cheers!

I'm glad you have your axe just the way you want it. There aren't too many things that are more satisfying. Thanks for the info on changing the knobs. You explained very well. I'll have to try that when I have some extra money and can change the knobs on my LPJ.

I've done as much as I'm going to do for a while - I've changed the pickup surrounds to chrome (to get away from all that mass of black) and put a black pickguard on and this is the outcome

It's a nice look. Matches the bridge and tail piece nicely.

Now it's all starting to make sense =========================> 2015 Models on Amazon

...not a LPJ in sight, as of this post. But the LP Jr. is 'front and center'!

One guess would be that MF is gearing up to replace the current LPJs (pictured on the above link from my OP) with the '15 LP Juniors?

And if you look on the headstocks it's another Gibson celebration year (Les Paul's 100th birthday (well would have been)) What next for 2016? All suggestions in a sealed envelope please!!!

Now it's all starting to make sense =========================> 2015 Models on Amazon

...not a LPJ in sight, as of this post. But the LP Jr. is 'front and center'!

One guess would be that MF is gearing up to replace the current LPJs (pictured on the above link from my OP) with the '15 LP Juniors?

Hm, that's very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gibson does for the 2015 model year.

I've done as much as I'm going to do for a while - I've changed the pickup surrounds to chrome (to get away from all that mass of black) and put a black pickguard on and this is the outcome

Wow, good idea with the crome mounting rings. Maybe i should get some nickel ones.

But that has to wait i have to replace the bridge and tailpiece with a set of tonepros,

and i think i spent enough for now.

I think the LPJ comes very close to some Studios i´ve seen. Closer than to a Junior.

I first wanted to buy a Studio but know i´m happy i picked the LPJ.

I think Gibson should tell us what the "J" means.

I couldn't agree more. Basically a bare bones work horse studio. I'm glad I got my LPJ, too. They're great guitars and a great value. I would really like to know what the 'j' is for, too.

I couldn't agree more. Basically a bare bones work horse studio. I'm glad I got my LPJ, too. They're great guitars and a great value. I would really like to know what the 'j' is for, too.

They are great - a poor man's Studio. The J is just a J - I think it is Junior in the sense that originally Gibson called the Junior a Junior not because it was smaller but that it was a stripped down version of the Les Paul and therefore cheaper than the standard model. The LPJ is just that!! Maybe as it turns out it should have been The LPSJ (Les Paul Studio Junior) model. I think it should have had the Les Paul signature decal on the headstock though, even the Les Paul Junior had that!

They are great - a poor man's Studio. The J is just a J - I think it is Junior in the sense that originally Gibson called the Junior a Junior not because it was smaller but that it was a stripped down version of the Les Paul and therefore cheaper than the standard model. The LPJ is just that!! Maybe as it turns out it should have been The LPSJ (Les Paul Studio Junior) model. I think it should have had the Les Paul signature decal on the headstock though, even the Les Paul Junior had that!

That definitely would make sense. I think it's a renamed studio satin without the pickguard. I still don't understand why they put the holly and not the les Paul signature on the headstock. Though I should mention that the first LPJ I got did say les Paul model on the headstock.

I dunno, I considered the LPJ as a stripped down Traditional, mainly due to the fatter neck and the TWR... [smile]

I personally believe that the LPJ (to some extent) was cannibalizing its brethren, so to speak.

This happened to Nissan in 2000 when the re-designed entry-level Sentra was out-selling the re-designed Altima of 1998...of course, Nissan addressed this.

Perhaps that is why Gib (seemingly) ceased production of the LPJ and replaced it with this year's (2015) LPM? ....just a thought.

That could be a possibility. The LPJs have gotten pretty popular. I'm glad I got mine when I did. These things may become hard to find in the future.

Yeah well the '14s are just as good and as I've said I love the color of yours. I simply would rather have the 498 stock

and I'm not too fond of the inlay, but that's just me. Hmmm, oh screw it, if I had the means I would get every '13 and '14 LPJ remaining!

lol

Lol, they're all great. I'm glad you like the finish on mine. I thought it was the nicest of the finishes on the '14 LPJs. I'll try to get some more pictures of mine.

Archived